1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leicester City FC

Discussion in 'football' started by prunus, Nov 8, 2015.

1. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Wouldn't we? No-one knows. An amazing thing happened that I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. It's a beautiful story and Ranieri was a huge part of it. But things change.

2. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

A true football fan.
    As loyal as a Wall Street stock broker.

3. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Silly Billy. I'm a Leicester City fan. My loyalty is to the club.

sealion likes this.
  4. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Loyal to the bank, the moment your best mate on the floor stops performing you're waving them out the door with aw shucks that's just business platitude.

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Great.
    So who was responsible for your club's greatest triumph ever? What kind of loyalty do you think they should expect in return?

And what does your most famous player say about the decision to kick out the person responsible for your club's greatest triumph?

6. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

I'm not sure I have the energy for this. Yes, it's sad that a highly likeable guy lost his job in the blink of an eye after contributing to arguably the greatest sporting fairytale of all time. Ranieri being likeable doesn't make it the wrong decision for the future of the football club.

To answer your questions:

- A collective of about 40 people, to various degrees - Ranieri probably less individually responsible than the popular narrative, but that isn't to diminish his role - it more than likely wouldn't have happened without him
    - Loyalty but not blind loyalty to the point of it being seriously detrimental to club
    - He didn't like it, but he's enjoying what's happened since. Note that he was also vocally anti-Ranieri's initial appointment.

Were you as upset at Mourinho losing his job the season after winning the league?

sealion likes this.
  7. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

If I was a city boy I'd probably think exactly like that, as would my peers. I don't think you've got much of a point. Your attempt at being pithy and acerbic just seems a little obvious.

Two Cardiff boys bemoaning Asian billionaire's running of a football club. Who'd have thought it?!

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Hardly comparable, but if Dulwich Hamlet achieved something as unbelievably remarkable like Leicester winning the league, then I'm 100% sure I'd be totally against sacking the manager half way through the next season, even if we were bottom of the league.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I stopped supporting Cardiff because of what happened. Not sure what your point is here.

10. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

What if you knew that there were issues behind the scenes that were unlikely to be resolved, and that were at the heart of the poor performance?

11. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

That you're suffering from heuristic bias.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Let me repeat it: If Hamlet had just registered the best season in their history by a fucking immense factor, there is no way I'd be demanding that the manager responsible be kicked out half way through the next season, even if we were rooted to the bottom. Which Leicester weren't. I'd give him the chance to see out the season.

13. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

You haven't answered my question.

And FWIW, I wasn't demanding he be sacked. I was hoping he could turn it around. But it having happened I can see that it might - repeat, might - have been for the best.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Enjoy your season.

15. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Thanks. It's certainly taken a turn for the better!

Not sure why you're ignoring my question.

16. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Probably because if there were problems at his football team behind the scenes, the manager would clear out everyone he had a problem with....

The two scenarios aren't exactly comparable.

17. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

He made the comparison.

Badgers likes this.
  18. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Not really. He said he wouldn't want him sacked. Not matter what. You brought up the factors.

Badgers and editor like this.
  19. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

My god.

Badgers and sealion like this.
  20. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

It continues to go terribly post-Ranieri :hmm:

Badgers and sealion like this.
  21. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

My god.

Badgers likes this.
  22. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

I see what you did there! :cool:

Badgers and B.I.G like this.
  23. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the game vs Sevilla on TV. Also missing that rickety old wooden stand at Filbert St for what its worth.

Good luck in the next round!

Badgers and ChrisFilter like this.
  24. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

We can take a lot of pride in that performance. Hell of a second-half against one of the world's best sides. Shouted myself hoarse. Brilliant game. And brilliant tactical switch from Shakespeare.

Badgers likes this.