1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leicester City FC

Discussion in 'football' started by prunus, Nov 8, 2015.

1. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Still staggered by the timing tbh. At the very least, they owed it to Ranieri to allow him to complete the journey in the Champions League.

What's happened clearly is that the owners now think they are a billy big potatoes club, cos of what Ranieri has done. I hope that they will enjoy the cut and thrust of the Championship.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    hipipol and ska invita like this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

How quickly they forget. He defied all expectations to deliver Leicester's biggest ever achievement - and made the club a fucking mint - and then they throw him out on his arse before the season is even over. Let them sink to the bottom.

I hope their fans protest long and hard about his.

hipipol and ska invita like this.
  3. mrs quoad

mrs quoad usage breakfast sausage breakfast sa

[​IMG]

4. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

I've got 20 quid on them to win the champions league so I'm not too impressed with this!

Would be fucking bizarre if they were relegated but won the CL earning automatic qualification for the next CL. Surely the first time a 'second division' side would have appeared in the top comp.

5. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You fucking Leicester twats.

hipipol, ska invita and T & P like this.
  7. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

[QUOTE="The39thStep, post: 14943916, .Why on earth would Mancini want to come at this point?[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It's back to relegation dog fights for Leicester. Vardy will soon be off, others too. These "4 year contracts" mean nothing except more money for agents etc when big money clubs come in.

Leicester did us all a favour last year by shaking the Premier up a bit.
    This year they've helped confirm how unloyal and business orientated the game is.

I loved Ranieri when he was with us (CFC), I remember him crying on the touchline I think it was when he was leaving. Like a few have said on here Leicester could have at least let him see out the CL run that he helped bring to the City.

ska invita likes this.
  8. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

The other thing is if you look at the age of some of the players they are going to need to be replaced over the next couple of years and that includes the two centre halves. The other interesting thing is that the resale value of their players is relatively low , only Slimani and Mahrez are valued at over 20m.

9. gosub

gosub ~#

10. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Really creepy

11. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

Somebody indulge me here: obviously the owners have done this, but I'm not sure who the villains of the piece are. Just seen football focus with heavy allusions to 'backroom staff', along with the meeting between several players and the owners after the CL match this week. Was this a slow motion trainwreck of hangover from last year, inflated player egos and Ranieri not being able to get it back on track - or has somebody stitched him up?

ska invita and Badgers like this.
  12. diond

diond Well-Known Member

Bloody hell, you're right! Still, 10 years later and people still can't get it right.;)

13. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

Incidentally, Mourhino almost had me yesterday with his tribute to Ranieri - and it was right what he said even if he was patently coming out with it to play out his own grievance with Chelsea. Then I read somewhere (guardian site I think) that he has behaved like a complete twat towards Ranieri over the years, sneering at his lack of trophies for example. However, not quite as hypocritical as some of the Leicester players tributes they finally managed to come out with yesterday.

14. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

So thrashing Liverpool at the moment. Where were these cunts all season?

marty21, Sweet Meiga and Badgers like this.
  15. The39thStep

Robbie Savage said the same and then a few minutes later said looking at the scoreline perhaps the decision to sack was justified . Can't stand that bloke

Sea Lion, Badgers and ska invita like this.
  16. The39thStep

The Pearson loyalists

Wilf likes this.
  17. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

A great day for anarchism! Great to see the oppressed football workers overthrow their boss and set themselves free!

:facepalm:

Libertad, marty21 and Wilf like this.
  18. tommers

tommers Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve and Talent

It's a modern day fairytale.

ska invita likes this.
  19. heinous seamus

heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee

Hard to understand how the players could stop playing for him after what they achieved last season.

20. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

Does Shakespeare get the job if they beat Hull and then go trough in the CL next week? If the priority is to stay in the Prem, the it must be a risk to bring someone else in and there looks to be a bit of winning momentum.

21. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

Wow, congrats to Leicester fans! It's somehow come over all 2015-16 again! Nasri, what a dick (though vardy was a shit too).

22. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

23. planetgeli

planetgeli Well-Known Member

And haha Emirates drug free Man City got shat on tonight too. Fuck Dubai.

24. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Actually, most fans recognised that as unpleasant as it was (and I did shed a tear), something had to change. All the wailing and gnashing of teeth came from other fans. Most decent journalists recognised that it was, regretfully, the only real option under the circumstances. Our owners aren't like the Venkys or the Vincent Tans of this world. They are really close to the club and the players and they won't have been slow to recognise real problems. They're smart people.

So far, and it's only been three games, but so far they appear to be have been vindicated.

I read Kevin Phillips' comments with interest. Without an axe to grind he painted a picture of Ranieri's influence being far less than you might think, and that in some cases he was actually a bit of an impediment to progress. I don't buy that entirely, but I think his strength was in being a motivational figurehead both inside and outside of the club. When he tried to actively shake things up, the problems started.

Whatever the truth, he walks away as a club legend and £3m richer. Everyone, I hope, is a winner.

Sea Lion likes this.
  25. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Oh, and a final point... all of the newspaper surveys which asked if people wanted Ranieri at their club came back as 'no'. People were upset by the tarring of the fairy tale narrative. Not the reality.

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think you'll be getting a lot of that reality soon.

27. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you suggesting that as a consequence of firing Ranieri, things are now going to be worse than if we'd retained him? What are you basing that on, given the contradictory evidence thus far?

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm saying that with him you reached heights you would have never, ever dreamt of reaching in a million years. He deserved to be able to see this season through. But hey, Premier League. It's all about success now with zero loyalty. It fucking sucks.

imposs1904 likes this.
  29. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

It's small evidence so far, tbf. The performance in the first leg, especially second half, against Sevilla suggested all was not lost with Ranieri. The bad trot may have come to an end around now anyway. Three games is way too soon to make any judgement on that, particularly given that Champions League results under Ranieri were excellent.

It appears to be the nature of football punditry and management (as in the club management by owners) both to read too much into a bad result or short run of bad results and too much into a good result or short run of good results.

Also, and this may be something you agree with, I do think a manager's influence, both good and bad, gets exaggerated. There is something of a fetish of the coach in football, more than possibly any other sport.

30. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

I completely agree. Ranieri was often away during the week anyway, so didn't take too many of the training sessions. What's the saying... culture eats strategy for breakfast?

Sea Lion likes this.