Left Handed Batsman Standing Outside Leg Stump

Discussion in 'general sports' started by FrancisLG, Nov 4, 2018.

1. FrancisLG

FrancisLG New Member

Ok, I am a newby umpire officiated my very first match. I have had this scenario where a left handed batsmen takes position left of his wicket(standing outside leg). Not closing his wicket at at all. The right handed bowler bowling over the wicket pitches a bouncing ball, the lefty ducs very low, the ball crosses over his head. The ball is passing on the leg side between the wicket and batsmen. Do you call this wide?

2. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Pretty sure it's not a wide. Don't know the ruling but have seen many batsmen 'followed' to the leg side by the bowler, swing and a miss, no wide is called.

3. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

How high did it go over the batsman? Where did it pitch and then what did it do (how far outside leg did it pass the batsman)? What's the game format?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Pickman's model likes this.
  4. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

A ball is wide is the batsman can't hit with a normal cricket stroke, and if he couldn't have hit it with a normal stroke if he was standing in a normal guard position. I would suggest standing outside leg stump is not a normal position, and that had he been in a normal position he could have hit it.

5. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Depends on the format. Many limited over league rules now consider anything that passes behind the striker to be a wide, regardless of whether he could have played a glance, hook, or pull.
    What? :confused:

If you take a leg, or two guard, you will be standing outside leg stump. Even middle would have you at least half way. I think you have this the wrong way round.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  6. Santino

If the ball was between him and the stumps, and it was out of his reach then he'd be miles away from a normal guard. But actually it's not clear if that was the case.

7. two sheds

two sheds Least noticed poster 2007 (nom.)

I'd give him out he's got no business standing outside leg stump.

8. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

If it goes between the striker and the stumps it's not a wide, unless by height.

9. Santino

Yep

10. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

On that basis we need to re-write quite a few laws.

11. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

So; not a wide (unless it was high).

12. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Have you seen this happen?

"Leg side" for wides is considered to be that of the batsman; not of the stumps, no???
    littlebabyjesus

If it's in front of the batsman any number of strokes can be played. If he's standing a yard or more off leg, he's a dick, and probably plays for my team.

13. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

This, definitely. When a batsman backs away, a bowler is entitled to follow him, but the bowler is also entitled to bowl at the stumps or just outside off as if the batsman hadn't moved. This isn't really any different. Likewise if a batsman tries some kind of dilscoop and moves over to the off side to do it, bowler can follow him but can also still aim at the stumps. Otherwise, you could have a ball hitting the stumps called wide!

14. two sheds

two sheds Least noticed poster 2007 (nom.)

No, just the one.

To Law 25 (wide ball)

Rules of Cricket

Add 1 (c) Irrespective of whether or not a ball is declared a wide, a batsman shall be given as out if he takes up a guard position that the umpire adjudges to be silly.

15. Santino

Yes. We agree. We have always agreed.

16. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

As we always do. On everything. You often get it right in the end.

17. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Who plays cricket in this country in November?

18. FrancisLG

FrancisLG New Member

It was not high, it was more a case of the bowler body lining the striker. I did not call it as wide.