Leeds to go hydrogen powered.

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by WouldBe, Jul 12, 2016.

1. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

According to BBC Look North Leeds is to have it's natural gas supply replaced with hydrogen by 2026.

I seem to remember from previous discussions on here about hydrogen power that there is a problem piping hydrogen as it causes the pipes to go brittle. Has something changed recently? or are they going to have to replace every inch of gas piping in Leeds for something that's hydrogen proof?

More importantly where are they going to get that amount of hydrogen from? :eek:

2. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Hydrogen from where?
    It's a complete bastard to handle cos the molecules are so small it'll basically leak through anything given enough time.

EDIT: Ok it looks like they'll just be converting the Methane to Hydrogen. It's a big hit to efficiency - the same amount of methane will heat fewer homes - but if they really can capture the carbon monoxide and deal with it then it's *a* way of reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Seems a bit of a faff to me.

NoXion likes this.
  3. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i saw something about this which suggested they expected to get hydrogen from methane and the resultant CO2 would be put into depleted gas fields under the north sea

5. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

They've been meaning to capture the CO2 from Yorkshire coal fired power stations and store it in depleted gas wells for ages and not got round to it yet. :facepalm:

6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

upload_2016-7-12_12-46-42.png
    from bbc link above

7. oneflewover

oneflewover Following "The Tigers"

Leeds was picked because the majority of its cast iron piped gas distribution network has been changed to plastic.

8. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

I wonder how much work would be involved in converting the average domestic boiler or cooking hob

9. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

IIRC that's the problem. Hydrogen gas makes the plastic pipes go brittle. :eek:

10. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

According to the look north article it's just a few minutes to change the valves over.

11. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

Would be interesting to work out how much of an energy loss is involved in the process. As you say hydrogen has less calorific value than methane but then you have to factor in how many 'calories' it takes to convert the methane to hydrogen and then dispose of the CO2. :eek:

12. HAL9000

HAL9000 Lasting Damage

I saw this story in the economist recently

https://www.economist.com/technology-quarterly/2018/11/29/in-the-rush-to-renewables-decarbonising-heating-has-been-overlooked

I found an overview diagram.....

[​IMG]

H21 – Leeds Tests Switch to Hydrogen › H2-international

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if there's an issue if the hydrogen escaped from a pipe and caught fire.

In the past if Nasa had to deal with a hydrogen fire, they used a broom to find the fire.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    WouldBe likes this.