Lee Perrys ''Super Ape Returns''

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by cozmikbrew, Feb 2, 2018.

1. cozmikbrew

cozmikbrew Bass case

Just bought the Lee Perry and Subatomic Soundsystem ''Super Ape returns to conquer'' dont know what i was expecting really but its basically slightley tweaked versions of the original ''Super Ape'' album,in fact,considering its a new lp,its worse,a pale imitation,really dont see the point,anyone else heard it?

2. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

rehashing old material in reggae? standard :D

i thought lee doesnt go anywhere near a mixing desk these days?

This seems to suggest hes got a new studio and in JA too (as opposed to Switzerland):

"Scratch co-produced Super Ape Returns to Conquer with Subatomic Sound co-founder Emch. The pair recorded the LP at Subatomic Sound Studios in Brooklyn and Scratch's home studio, the New Ark, in Jamaica. The LP features Troy Shaka Simms and Omar Little on horns, Screechy Dan on vocals and Larry McDonald – who played on the original Super Ape – on drums and percussion. Ari Up, the late singer for the Slits, contributed vocals to "Underground Roots."

"It is a crazy thing to do to completely remake a classic," Emch said of Super Ape Returns. "No one has ever dared to do something like that. It prompts the question: What is the motivation if it was already classic? Really, it was to adapt a slow hypnotic album to a hype live show while still maintaining the vibes that make the music special. Like an alternate version."

Scratch is set to embark on a North American tour October 24th in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Along with "Zion's Blood," he shared a reworking of "Chase the Devil" – the track famously sampled by Kanye West for Jay-Z's "Lucifer" – featuring vocals from Jahdan Blakkamoore and Screechy Dan.

cozmikbrew likes this.
  3. ska invita

7 tracks here

Personally save for the odd track the last good Lee Perry material was made in about 1979...wouldn't expect anything more on that level now, though Im really happy for him that he ploughs on and on

bimble, Ground Elder and cozmikbrew like this.
  4. cozmikbrew

cozmikbrew Bass case

Hmm getting to know the material to play live makes sense,its just such an underwhelming purchase,though the ''Undergound Roots'' with Ari Up is growing on me:)

ska invita likes this.
  5. cozmikbrew

cozmikbrew Bass case

Says recorded in New York,Jamaica and on tour worldwide,must admit be good to catch it live

ska invita likes this.
  6. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

On the evidence of that one track it seems like a bit of a waste of time, but I'm not gonna begrudge someone like Lee Perry the opportunity to rinse his back catalogue for a few extra quid.

ska invita likes this.
  7. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

This boils my piss. Chase the Devil was a stone cold classic long before that babbling halfwit Kanye West went anywhere near it.

danski and ska invita like this.
  8. Smangus

Smangus comatose at a desk

bring back the Kentucky Skank...:thumbs:

cozmikbrew likes this.
  9. ska invita

If anything famously sampled by Prodigy on Outer Space or whatever that tune is called

PursuedByBears and SpookyFrank like this.
  10. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Since he burned down Black Ark studios he's produced utter crap
    Making the Congos and then having difficulty getting distribution seems to have robbed him of any desire to risk his heart in really putting out anything worthwhile

11. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I liked 'rise again', that was a whole album of new songs wasn't it.

12. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Can't be bothered to listen

13. cozmikbrew

cozmikbrew Bass case

Yeah had a couple of listens and meh,led me to dig this out which on paper promised more than its reality

ska invita likes this.
  14. ska invita

we'll miss him when hes gone

blossie33 and Ground Elder like this.
  15. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

I brought the "Megaton" Dub lp (mostly) Perry productions / dubs, Fisherman Dub (the congos) famously on there, absolutely loved that lp to death, used to play it full volume on my dads hifi.

Listened to a few other perry lps including the Super Ape & Return of...... don't really get along with his own material, I think he is better as a producer than artist.

16. ska invita

my understanding is he is a producer/sound engineer with what were once occasional forays as vocalist, and since the 80s thats basically all he ever does - a performance poet really

17. moody

altho there is quite a bit of his own material out there, as in him singing on the tracks as well as other elements....

18. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

He started off as a dancer and singer in the 60's, not that I've ever been mad about his voice.

He was a groundbreaking genius producer throughout the 70's right up until he burned down the Black Ark studio.

Pretty much everything he's done since has been shit but what greatness he did achieve will always mean that to me he is one of the most talented producers, in any genre, there has ever been.

19. ska invita

im not sure about the other elements thing....i was under the impression everything post Ark is music built by other people with him just vocalising on. My impression anyhow, might be wrong

20. moody

I'm sure he'd be on the desk for his own stuff too

21. ska invita

i gather barely, maybe the odd cryptic instruction!....thats why its always Lee Perry and So and So with So and So making the music and him just there as vocalist and vague producer/ director. I dont think he actually touches the desk anymore

Those Orb, Mad Professor, Adrian Sherwood, This thing etc etc etc albums all sound like that act making the music. Even stuff like Jamaican ET which just has Lees name on it gives Lee writing and production credits but has someone else listed as engineer and mixing - and the bland generic sound matches that. Thats my impression anyhow, and remember reading one article about the process on a recent album and yeah all the backing tracks were done ahead of time and Lee came in for a few days and did the vocals basically. I think thats the general MO.

ETA ...reading around just now album called "Back At The Controls" (suggesting he might in fact be back at the controls) is in fact all by a guy called Daniel Boyle and recorded at Boyle's Rolling Lion Studio.

Might be wrong but it really seems that way

22. moody

^

have you heard the "blackboard jungle" lp, its by the Upsetters but has Perry (as well as King ?Tubby ) all over the desk?

23. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

yeah, afaik, Perry only did vox and percs on that album.
    Boyle is working on Vol2 atm.....he was the one who almost got Perry into my studio to record vox.

ska invita likes this.
  24. moody

He is also on the credits for percussion too

25. ska invita

yeah but thats 70s black ark era so definitely lee perry all over it -
    I wonder who has writing credits on Blackboard Jungle?
    Upsetters are a session band really, so usually any writing ideas they had are uncredited (as is the way for all studio house bands), though Ive read Lee did genuinely have strong melodic ideas though theres a fair amount of claiming credit that goes on... no doubt he's pissed off people over the years in that regard

moody likes this.
  26. moody

augustus pablo plays melodica on that lp too!

ska invita likes this.
  27. ska invita

lee perry doing percussion means whacking a teaspoon against a mug once in a while tbf! more occassional hits than being a proper bongo player for example - littleseb confirm? "Additional percussion" Id call it!
    Theres a track with him soloing on a recorder but just on that one note that comes out if you cant play the recorder...sounds great on the track i think :D but hes no instrumentalist tbf
    ...this is all what ive gleaned from listening/ i might be wrong

28. moody

here, he is doing vocals, but like the reggae version of Hendrix!

29. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

pretty much. or nailing a chicken against a wall. wherever his mood takes him, as long as it isn't straight continuous beats, apparently.

ska invita likes this.
  30. ska invita

1982 is in the not good mental health zone by all accounts