Leatherhead v DHFC (27/1/18)

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by XV Brigada, Jan 22, 2018.

1. XV Brigada

XV Brigada Member

Games coming thick and fast at the moment, next away day is Leatherhead this saturday. Plenty of trains from Victoria and Clapham Junction.

First away for me since Hendon, will be in the Running Horse early doors :thumbs:

pompeydunc likes this.
  2. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

Very thick & fast... So fast in fact you've forgotten about tomorrows game at Champion Hill, when we host Wingate & Finchley.

Hopefully another decent turnout from our supporters

3. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

I would urge all fans to check before travelling on Saturday. They have had a number of games (them &/or their temporary tenants Kingstonian) recently, and their pitch is prone to waterlogging & flooding.

4. XV Brigada

XV Brigada Member

Not forgotten just assumed there was already a thread for it, I now appear to be mistaken!

5. XV Brigada

XV Brigada Member

Very good point, worth noting that train tickets appear to be the same price when bought on the day as when bought in advance, so hold fire on that front

6. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

There are trains from Waterloo via Wimbledon as well at Victoria via Sutton. All trains call at Clapham Junction and Epsom. For anyone living on the New Cross Gate - Norwood Junction line as I do I'd suggest getting anything to West Croydon, then change again at Sutton if necessary, and at Epsom. There shouldn't be too long to wait for any of those connections.

Unlike some stations outside Zone 6 Leatherhead is not in a "special fares" Oystercard zone so you'll need an off peak day return ticket, and as already mentioned there's no saving to be made by buying online in advance.

7. Dulwich Mishi

I really cannot imagine anyone buying a ticket in advance to anywhere in the local Home Counties. Surely it's only worthwhile to do this on long distance trips?

8. XV Brigada

XV Brigada Member

As someone with minimal income right now I always check in case there are any savings to be made through advanced singles/deals etc

9. Dulwich Mishi

As someone who has used public transport all of his life I am pretty certain you wouldn't get discounts on such local trips. Happy to stand corrected if someone else finds them...

10. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

I’m in providing it isn’t rained off.

11. Pink Panther

Getting the cheapest fares is like negotiating a maze. I'll bet you've paid more than you needed to more than once - I certainly have,and it makes me furious when I find out. It's not so much advance tickets as knowing where to buy them. I'll expand upon this tomorrow when I can type on a keyboard.

12. XV Brigada

XV Brigada Member

Think it's partially from habit as well, following Palace to all corners of the country means I'm used to jumping on tickets as soon as fixtures are announced.

Pink Panther likes this.
  13. Pink Panther

I think we're all familiar with the "off peak day return" ticket. It's a reasonable assumption that this will be the cheapest walk-up fare available on a Saturday. However some operators offer a cheaper "super off peak day return", but these only seem to be available from ticket offices/machines managed by that operator, or online in advance.

At Sydenham station I can buy tickets between any two destinations from the automated machine, but I can't buy the super off peak tickets. When we started having away games in Essex and Suffolk after returning to the Premier Division I noticed that a simple off peak day return from (for example) Sydenham to Billericay seemed very expensive. I soon discovered that if I used my Oystercard to get from Sydenham to Stratford (changing at Canada Water) then bought a ticket to Billericay at Stratford it worked out significantly cheaper. Only trouble is Stratford is extremely busy and there's a good chance you'll miss your connection if you have to stop and queue to buy a ticket there. Why can't I get it for the same price at Sydenham?

Then there's West Ham station, which is managed by London Underground but also served by C2C trains. Last time I bought a ticket there (on the way to either Canvey Island or East Thurrock) there was no ticket office and the automated machines had no option to apply the one third Network Railcard discount to which I was fully entitled. That may have changed now, but I always bought my tickets online in advance after that when doing those trips.

Then there are the dirty tricks employed by some operators whereby some journeys are significantly more expensive than others for no logical reason. We have the Southern Trains surcharge on Londoners: it's around 50% more expensive to buy an off peak day return from London stations to the South Coast than it is to buy the same ticket in reverse. There is no restriction on which trains you can use on a Saturday or Sunday. People on the South Coast can use their cheaper day return tickets to travel to London at the crack of dawn and return at lunchtime, or they can travel up to London early evening and return on the last train at night. Therefore I always buy a return from e.g. Bognor to Sydenham in advance then use the return portion to travel down there and the outward portion to return, a saving of over a fiver every time even with a discount railcard. The smallprint tells you that's not allowed to do that, the outward portion is only valid when accompanied by the unused return portion, so theoretically if the return portion has been clipped by the guard on the way down or you've given it up at the ticket barrier you could be fined or stung for another ticket on the way home. However in all my years of travelling by train I've never been asked to show both portions of my ticket, so you'd be very unlucky to get caught out. Technically I guess this constitutes fare evasion, but it also sounds like ripping off the passenger to me.

Then there was the Margate trip a couple of weeks back. The cheapest ticket I found was a super off peak day return from Victoria to Margate at £16.15 with my railcard discount. However it was more convenient to travel from Sydenham Hill and change at Bromley South, but there are no super off peak tickets available from there, only standard off peak, so the fare is £21.25. Even if you go to Bromley South by other means and join the same train that started at Victoria it's £20.40. Why is it more expensive to begin what is essentially the same journey closer to your final destination? Therefore I bought my ticket from Victoria online in advance. If there were ticket gates at Sydenham Hill I guess my ticket may have been flagged up as not valid, but there aren't, and occasionally when valid tickets don't open the gate for whatever reason the attendant usually just waves you through without scrutinising it for every detail.

I must admit I've become quite obsessive about all this! It's not so much abut the amount of money saved, it's the principle, and you never quite know when you might get ripped off if you're not alert enough. Why is it so complicated to identify and obtain the cheapest prices? We're not even talking about the limited numbers of cheap advance tickets available on a first come first served basis for specific trains. Countless passengers must end up paying more than they really need to and it all adds up to a huge profit for the train operators.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Harry R, pompeydunc, clog and 2 others like this.
  14. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

^ Excellent post.

I feel really good about the £35 it cost me to go to Margate from Herne Hill via Bromley South including a change at Rochester return now.

pompeydunc likes this.
  15. Dulwich Mishi

I often pay more than I need to...and do get furious...

It's when I buy a ticket, nobody checks them and the gates are open at the other end, or I've got back to my Zones 1 to 3 Travelcard area! ;):mad:

Pink Panther likes this.
  16. Pink Panther

I wouldn't mind that so much if I was confident no one else was taking liberties. Sometimes I see guards on trains selling tickets to people who (I suspect) had no intention of paying for one if they could help it.

I use a pay-as-you-go Oystercard within Greater London, and it sometimes charges me for a more expensive route then the one I've used. I wouldn't normally condone fare dodging, but these days I often do short journeys without swiping my card if I know there are no ticket gates at either end, e.g. East Dulwich to Gipsy Hill (where there's an ungated side entrance) or Sydenham Hill to Brixton just to claw back a couple of quid from all the times I've been ripped off.

Even for Leatherhead on Saturday I've discovered it's £4.55 (with discount railcard) for a day return from Crystal Palace (Zone 3/4) changing at West Croydon and Epsom, but only £4.25 from Clapham Junction (Zone 2), even though the train I would board at Crystal Palace has already come from Clapham. I'm not going to faff around with advance tickets for the sake of saving 30p, but it's absurd.

17. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Pitch inspection at 9am

18. NPDHFC

NPDHFC NAC-ITM

Game Off

19. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

20. 59robbery

59robbery Member

Come on guys get down to your favourite teams' ground. Tooting & Mitcham are hosting Bill & Dicky. For once you can get behind our lads to help your own cause.

You know it makes sense.

21. Dodger

Dodger Well-Known Member

See you there!

22. 59robbery

59robbery Member