Leased software (monthly payments) - a scam, right?

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by ska invita, Aug 9, 2017.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Just looked at buying a new edition of accounting software Quickbooks, and now its only on a monthly payment basis only. Sage likewise. Ive seen for a while Microsoft have been doing this with Office, but ive still got a disk of an old edition which Im now treating like gold.

Seems to me this is the biggest scam going - getting people to pay over and over for the same bit of software.
    I think I heard of a friend who couldn't make her Office payments and lost access to Office as a result. Is that how it works?

Can anyone defend this practice?

(also any tips for a non-lease accounting software which I can transport Quickbooks data over too - not GnuCash)

2. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Take the expected life of the software, take the expected cost of an outright purchase, see whether the payments make sense.

For example: Office 365 is £60/year but to buy is £230. So nearly four years.

I suppose the trouble is that for personal users, you can stick with old versions of Office indefinitely, so the expected life is quite long. For business users, not so much.

3. ska invita

Quickbooks is £15/£25 a month (depending on the package), or £180/£300 a year. The package used to cost £200 odd IIRC. We've used the last one for 10 years with no bother. Seems a rip off to me.

4. Leafster

Leafster From the FRow

I suppose the question is, do you need to buy a new version at all? Several of my clients have hung onto their old versions of Sage for years as they've not needed any new functionality.

5. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

That does sound like a ripoff.

6. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

It does sound like a rip off. I'd use the pirate bay as a protest myself

NoXion, souljacker and ska invita like this.
  7. ska invita

Not really, except i need to do a clean install and we've lost the original disk :angry:
    i think this sort of leasing is going to be increasingly prevalent...

8. Leafster

Leafster From the FRow

Ah, I see. Bloody annoying!

You're right, with the rise of the cloud-based solutions which charge similar monthly amounts, the traditional suppliers have realised there are ways to increase their revenues without having to bring out new enticing * versions on a regular basis.

* this may not be a word commonly associated with accountancy but it's the only thing I could think of. Don't judge me.

9. Almor

Almor Well-Known Member

I read an article in a computer magazine recently that argued in favour of subscription licences for computer software, I wasn't convinced
    Maybe if it was done per hour so it's cheaper for occasional users

10. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

You might not need the original disks if you still have the serial number. Can't you find somewhere online to d/l a ligit copy?

11. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

If you had a legit copy previously then I wouldn't feel at all guilty about "pirating" a copy of the software you have paid for.

NoXion likes this.
  12. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Photoshop and LightRoom are now leased for a monthly payment. While a lot of people seem quite happy with the arrangement, there are also some that are not.

13. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

eg small charities like the one I work for which have not got a spare £600 a year, so we're stuck on Creative Suite 5 forever :mad:

14. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

The monthly paid software is often (not always) per user, not per machine. And offers a set of online/cloud services.

15. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

You can still get Lightroom as a normal fully paid download - but not Photoshop.

16. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

There are alternatives to Adobe.

17. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I pay £20 a month for a suite of seoftware dev tools. They have a nice model whereby if you've paid for a year and cancel, then you can keep using the version that you've got forever - so no updates.

Seems fair enough to me.

£240 for about 10 different tools (although I'll only use 3 or 4 of them).

18. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

As with everything it depends on what you pay and what you're getting. It's escalated a bit as a business model but not to the stage that I've heard some people predicting, that everything would be subscriptions soon. For a relatively static piece of software that doesn't need a lot of updating, or one that you use infrequently but like to have in the toolbox, it's generally a ripoff. OTOH for something fairly cutting-edge that gets a lot of updates, or that has a big cloud component, I don't see the concept as unreasonable - I pay for several web-based applications.

MS do it with Office partly to get around the folk who just sit there with ancient versions, but also because they want to promote the Office365 web service to attack Google Docs. Unfortunately, Google Docs is free and easier to use (people in my company regularly use Google Docs rather than Office365 to share spreadsheets even though we actually all have Office365 now... admittedly they've been terrible at communicating this, but 365 is way less convenient too).

£15 a month for Quickbooks sounds like exploitative bullshit btw. I wouldn't pay that unless it had some really valuable multi-user cloud thing going on and I had multiple users needing to share data. Even then it would be a lot. For a single user, fuck that.

19. ska invita

if Office is £60 a year id have paid £840 for the Office 2003 I've still got running, and so on into the future. I've used more recent versions but I'm perfectly happy with that one. Especially if it cost thousands over a lifetime.

and that's the thing, how can capitalism keep creating revenue once products are created that don't need replacing? Built in obsilecence is one, style over substance with markup another (apple does both well), but leasing must be the future. like so many desktop office softwares the need for future upgrades is very finite. The only way to milk them is Rent.

btw I downloaded a crack of quick books but it was a US version... Won't open my accounts. Legit old download with current license didn't work either for no good reason. balls.

20. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I used to think this, but I'm not sure it's true anymore.

I may have just been assimilated into the cult, but I've found older Macs perform better than older Windows PCs. They hold their value, too, so if you do want to upgrade, you can sell them on and the (admittedly high) price of a new Mac comes down a lot.

Of course, holding price might be a consequence of longetivity.

I've never had an iPhone but I think things are the same in the phone arena....older iPhones are better than older Android, and cost more/last longer/whatever.

21. ska invita

When comparing an old PC laptop to an old Apple laptop it would be only fair to compare ones that cost the same price at the time. Thats seems never to be the case in these examples...the Apple version usually cost at least double, if not more, to the one being compared to. My favourite is "MAcs dont breakdown"...ive seen enough Serato+Mac fuckups at dj gigs to know thats nonsense.
    Anyhow, lets not stray from the subject ;)

22. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Sorry for the diversion, but you're right. You need to compare like for like. And most don't.

Just because you can get a Windows laptop for £200 it doesn't mean it's the same as an Apple laptop. So you have to take into consideration things like weight, and design and battery life. Some of these are subjective, sure, but if you're trying to get an Apple equivalent laptop/PC, you'll find there's a huge premium on it, and it makes it not much different to a Mac. But it will (probably) die earlier. And almost certainly won't be worth as much in 3 years time.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  23. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

I'm buying a new laptop and had just come to terms with the adobe creative suite bollocks.

I didn't think I'd bother with office 365, as we're increasingly on google docs for work, but it has no Publisher alternative. Now obviously, CS should render Publisher laughably irrelevant, but the adobe stuff is tricky for me as a newbie, and sometimes you just want to cobble together something quick and dirty on an limited interface you mastered more than a decade ago.

24. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

What do you use publisher for?

25. spanglechick

Putting together programmes and posters for school plays, mostly.

Fez909 likes this.
  26. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Are your programmes more than 3 pages?

Seems like this is a web-based alternative: Lucidpress

Free for 3 pages. More if you need more.

spanglechick likes this.
  27. spanglechick

Thanks.

28. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

It's a clever idea (for the devs) as it makes piracy a lot more difficult if not impossible.

29. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

With adobe CC you can install it on 2 PCs so technically if you don't need it on 2 PCs you could go halves with a willing other on the price (this isn't allowed although they have no way of establishing whether you're doing that or not).

30. ska invita

this crossed my mind too...i'm guessing it allows companies endless access to your PC to check your license is up to date