Learning to drive

Discussion in 'transport' started by Black Halo, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

Don't spend the money! There are loads and loads of free online tests. I had a CD aswell but we get that free here in the Isle of Man (don't know about the UK).
    I also downloaded a PDF of the Highway code

2. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

There was no theory test when I passed, after the driving test, the examiner showed me a few pictures of road signs and asked what they meant.

3. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Thanks for the headlines from 1994.

maomao, marty21 and MickiQ like this.
  4. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

It was a long time before that but you've given me a warm feeling

5. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I bloody love driving now, at least today i did. P plates are off. :cool:

6. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

Chips on Llandudno beach?

bimble likes this.
  7. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

I remember enjoying driving, when even the M25 was a pleasure to use, them were the days!

/ Feels old. :(

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  8. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I did tests before and after the theory test was introduced . Failed 3 before the theory test came in :facepalm: (years before tbf) failed twice after the theory test (although did pass the theory test first time :cool:) Finally did pass so I am in a great position to compare the two but have nothing to say :cool:

9. marty21

I still love driving after 20 odd years

kebabking, bimble and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  10. kebabking

Me too.

I'm having a quiet camping weekend in the far north west of Snowdonia, I've enjoyed it immensely - some walking, some exploring early medeival churches, lots of reading - all in sunshine and next to the sea, but the drive up here (Cheltenham-Ross-Hereford-Shrewsbury-Llangollen-Llanberris-Caernarfon) was one of the most enjoyable bits of the weekend. I may go down the A470 to Rhayader and A44 to home, or A55 and down through Denbiegh and Ruthin - not sure, but I'll enjoy it enormously...

marty21 and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  11. marty21

Did a bit of that a few weeks ago, drove to Herefordshire and spent a week there :cool:

kebabking likes this.
  12. bimble

bimble noisy but small

There's something about driving that's really helpful for my head, like yesterday something that's been stressing me out for ages came to crisis point sort of and I needed to get out of here and just decided to drive out to a big bit of green on the map about an hour and a half away. Even if the scenery is nothing special at all the driving hand eye brain engagement and flow of navigating through everyone else is somehow soothing. Also was singing really loudly most of the time without having to worry about the neighbours.

moonsi til, trabuquera, Poi E and 5 others like this.
  13. kebabking

Did you like?

14. marty21

Yes , been there before but not in about 10 years. Loved driving around the country lanes where we were staying. Also drove to a lot of old churches , mrs21 loves old churches , I bought her a book years ago , Britain's Thousand best churches- Simon Jenkins , I think she wants to visit all of them :D we ticked about 10 off the list .

kebabking likes this.
  15. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

16. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

kebabking and marty21 like this.
  17. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Just passed the theory test. Watch out world, and M62 junction 24 :cool:

18. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

May I say that passing your theory does not entitle you to drive on a motorway.

kebabking likes this.
  19. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

Thanks for warning us. :thumbs:

;)

kebabking likes this.
  20. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Gatekeeping :rolleyes:

21. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

Sounded so interesting I went to Amazon and there it is, 2nd hand hardbacked copy for 0.78p . . . .. and about a trillion pounds for delivery!!! lol!!

Looking forward to getting it, cheers! :)

22. Hellsbells

My driving is finally getting better :cool::eek::eek:

23. marty21

I think it cost me about £25 :( it has been very well used tbf :thumbs:

24. marty21

I think they can go on with an instructor now?

hash tag likes this.
  25. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

Can go on their own so long as they don’t get caught.

kebabking and marty21 like this.
  26. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

27. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

My stepson has his first lesson today.

We bought him a provisional licence & gave him £1000 for his 17th (knew we were going to do that so put a bit away each month). So he knows that’s what he has to take lessons with , theory test & driving test. If he spends less he can use the rest for whatever he wants & if he needs more he needs to pay himself. Did the same for my nephew who had a few hundred left over that helped with car insurance.

He was very excited to get upto 50mph & 4th gear.

He has historically been keen to learn to drive but then wasn’t bothered due to cost of insurance and actually being able to drive after passing.But his mates are passing & he sees the freedom. We have him a little car & im thinking lots of folk clubbing together at xmas for insurance.

28. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

That was very thoughtful and forward planning of you there moonsi til

29. Hellsbells

Although I did get a bit over confident/stupid and not stop at a stop line junction because I could see no cars were coming :rolleyes:

30. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

We never really learn to drive until after we have passed our test and spent a few months on the road, if not a year. But this comes from someone who only took a few lessons and
    only really put the hours in driving once I had passed my test.

cupid_stunt and OzT like this.