Learning to drive

Discussion in 'transport' started by Black Halo, Aug 25, 2014.

1. bimble

bimble noisy but small

2. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Shake it off bimble - I failed first time too (and in an alarming way - got stuck and then stalled going up a ramp back into the test centre car park and had to slam brakes on a bit harshly as I was rolling backwards into 40mph traffic :eek: , but I did actually sort this out myself) - the examiner didn't just fail me, he BOLLOCKED me on the spot and actually said "I can't believe either *you or your instructor* thought you were ready to take this test, you're a danger on the roads" or something similar :mad:
    I was so angry I booked back in at the first possible opportunity and passed 2nd time around with the greatest of ease (not with him though, which was annoying - wanted to make him eat his words)

It's the luck of the draw. Remember you need to be at a level where YOU are confident IN YOURSELF and your own abilities to respond to situations - not just to slavishly meet someone else's arbitrary standards. It's easy to feel like the instructors/testers are just trying to make you fail, (especially if you're female and they're not) but the whole process is really about making yourself safe and capable. You'll make it, no bother.

3. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Thank you trabuquera ! You’re all lovely on this thread and it really helps.
    I think if I had passed today at first attempt it would have felt like I just got lucky, and not really helped my confidence.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  4. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

5. iona

iona toxic clown

Just about to start my first lesson (on a moped, given up on cars for now) :eek:

Hellsbells and bimble like this.
  6. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I didn't realise you needed lessons for a moped. Best with that.

7. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

I had 8 lessons with a right arsehole of an instructor and failed my practical. Another 3 lessons with a new instructor and her lovely daughter Prudence in the back seat got me over the line.

8. iona

iona toxic clown

You need to pass your CBT to drive on L plates.

I'm doing lessons because there's no way I'd pass otherwise.

9. iona

iona toxic clown

Lesson went really well! Going to book a second one to do some more slow control practice and go over turning and stuff on the proper road markings, then decide after whether I need more lessons. Personally I don't mind doing more lessons than I need to pass my cbt - rather that than pass and then be out on the road with no confidence.

Fucking cold now!

trabuquera, bimble and hash tag like this.
  10. flypanam

flypanam “There is no reason for restraint”

I've my driving test on Friday. I've three more lessons to iron out the not slowing down early enough kinks and reversing into a parking bay trauma.

Can't afford many more lessons. Should have done this when I was a teenager.

11. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Concentrate. Think of the money and you will get there. Best for Friday. :thumbs:

flypanam likes this.
  12. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Good luck flypanam. If i've got any advice (after my two failed tests so far) it'd be to trust your first decision not the second one .. I mean you know how to drive don't second guess yourself because of feeling stressed.

flypanam likes this.
  13. flypanam

flypanam “There is no reason for restraint”

Thanks I'll update on Friday. I've two more lessons. Then the big one.

marty21 and bimble like this.
  14. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Searching through the T & Cs on car rental companies (including zipcar, easycar avis etc) every one of them says you need to have held a full license for minimum of 1 year before they'll rent you a car. .
    Does anyone know of a rental company that doesn't do this ?
    Really frustrating, means when i pass (which will be really soon obvs) I'd have to buy a car straight away or else can't practice at all. :(

15. Hertz might, for a supplement to their insurance...

16. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

You could try some of the local independents, sometimes they have stricter rules sometimes laxer, it varies. I'd be surprised if you do find one though, I used to work in car rental (many years ago) and people smashing your cars up is by far and away the biggest ballache. Its the same with age, most rental companies won't touch young people either.

I don't know if such a thing exists but if you could arrange your own insurance cover that would probably solve the problem.

trabuquera and bimble like this.
  17. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Hertz says minimum 1 yr too, but I get what you're saying maybe people might be flexible depending on insurance arrangements.

18. Teaboy

Certainly when I was doing the job back in the very early 00's we'd (Enterprise) would rent a car to almost anyone as long as they had their own insurance cover. Someone smashing your car up on their own cover normally worked out pretty beneficial to a rental company.

I just don't know whether you can get temporary insurance cover for rental cars though. Have you got any mates with a shit car and a sense of humour who would allow you to have a drive now and again?

19. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Thanks Teaboy, will investigate getting my own insurance. Annoyingly the only people I know who’d be mad enough to let me practice in their vehicle are all manual gears ones. Don’t say ‘should’ve learnt in a proper car’ please.

20. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I tried to put my son as an additional driver on an Avis rental when he was 19. The customer service bloke actually laughed at me.

21. Teaboy

Ah yes, the auto thing I forgot. I'd never critcise anyone for going down the auto route, in fact I don't know why more people don't do it especially if they are struggling with manuals. Its this weird macho thing we have this country about manuals, I much prefer autos. Of course its a bit of a pain in the arse though if you don't have your own. May I suggest

[​IMG]

Without a doubt the slowest accelerating and top speed car I've ever driven, god love the micky auto. Its almost impossible to crash as it won't go fast enough and the engines last forever.

skyscraper101, kebabking and bimble like this.
  22. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

It's hard to believe that they were ever worth 2 grand, tbf.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  23. bimble

bimble noisy but small

i quite like its face.

24. This bit always goes down well in Wales too...

ENG.JPG

kebabking and bimble like this.
  25. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Mrs Tag has an '89 Micra, 2 door manual. No power steering, no electronic windows, central locking Etc. 2 door manual and she loves it to bits.She bought it at a premium many years ago and it's still going strong. Funnily enough, the lack of power steerring makes it more of a pure driving experience, just like a manual box. There is nothing macho about a manual box. Saying that, I drove a big modern 3 litre motor and it gave a pleasant kick and growl when you shoved your foot hard on the floor.

existentialist likes this.
  26. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Thanks Bahnhof Strasse I'll be sure to buy one of those stickers to put just next to my new driver L plates before setting off my adventures at 20mph. :cool:

kebabking likes this.
  27. Our car's an auto and not sure I'd go back to a manual, maybe if ever got some kind of 'pure' sports car, but manuals are a ball ache in traffic and distract from the real Audi business of tailgating, leering and sneering.

twentythreedom and kebabking like this.
  28. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

While here, what do drivers and learners think of these things? Good idea? Take any notice of them? Bearing in mind how little respect learners seem to get while taking lessons.

[​IMG]

29. If I see these I give the driver the same lee-way as an L plate.

Fucked if I'd have ever stuck one on my car and marked myself out as a n00b though!

Pretty much always had them in France, red A plates.

30. Teaboy

Personally not a fan but each to their own, you're either good enough to be driving or you're not. Its a bit 'I've passed but I probably shouldn't have done because I'm shit'. They started appearing after I had passed so didn't really have the option, that being said though after passing I just wanted to blend in as another motorist having been on l plates and standing out as the learner, novice etc.

hash tag likes this.