Learning to drive

Discussion in 'transport' started by Black Halo, Aug 25, 2014.

1. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

2. bimble

bimble noisy but small

thanks. First available date for a new test is showing up as 30th January 2018. :(

3. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Cancellation?

bimble likes this.
  4. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

Was that down to nerves getting you flustered do you think?

Sorry you didn't pass, but...(and I really do mean this)...I firmly believe that people who pass second time make better drivers than those who pass first time. They tend to go away and think much harder about the whole thing, rather than winging it and zooming off. No science behind that, just what I have observed over the years.

30th January in't that far away really, 8-9 weeks? Tis also my mum's birthday, my uncle's birthday too, so an auspicious date :)

planetgeli and bimble like this.
  5. flypanam

flypanam “There is no reason for restraint”

How do you get one of those? Cancellation that is?

bimble sounds tough, I find been penalised for being cautious hard to take.

6. bimble

bimble noisy but small

My instructor says you have to keep checking online preferably early in the mornings to find if there are any cancellations. First you book the next available date then you can change it free of charge up to a max of 5 times.

To be fair (to the weird examiner who made inappropriate jokes and didn't smile once) what I did there at the junction was not being over cautious it was just dumb, and potentially very dangerous, but yeah came from being flustered and anxious.

trabuquera likes this.
  7. Bahnhof Strasse

Do you still need to wait a clear calendar month before your next test?

And next time you won't be so nervous as you'll know what to expect. And if you get an examiner who's not a miserable sod that will help loads. A decent mock exam, getting you ready for when you do the real-deal in January...

bimble likes this.
  8. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Sounds like you missed a blackmailing opportunity :(

kebabking, Bahnhof Strasse and bimble like this.
  9. bimble

bimble noisy but small

It's ten days (minimum) between tests now I think. Can't help feeling a bit downhearted but it'll pass*.
    *do you see what i did there?

10. bimble

bimble noisy but small

He was really weird, asked me if I was married to my driving instructor :confused:. If I get him again next time will ask my teacher to join us in the car (you can choose that if you want).

11. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

What did he say/do?

12. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Instructor wasn't there when the weirdness was happening today. I kind of made a joke of it but the bloke was not friendly or professional. Weird job, being a driving test examiner, not a happy man i think.

13. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

No, I mean what weirdness did the examiner engage in?

14. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Just the thing about whether me and instructor were an item, which was just as the test started and a bit disconcerting is all.

15. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Sorry, I missed that. Totally inappropriate.

bimble likes this.
  16. Bahnhof Strasse

My one had a clear as day imprint of a sovereign on his right cheek. Clearly someone had not wholeheartedly agreed with his verdict.

bimble likes this.
  17. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Last time I properly failed an exam i think i was about 14, when some idiot decided to put me in advanced maths to prove a point and I got a U. That's part of what makes this hard, you get to a certain age bluffing your way along as a lazy person and it's not easy to learn something totally new that you're not naturally good at.

kebabking and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  18. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

My birthday too. We'll have a party.

(And I passed second time too)

Bahnhof Strasse and bimble like this.
  19. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I wonder if the examiner was asking in a weird way did someone you know teach you or did you go to a school?
    For my test, my instructor simply put me down for a cancellation.
    Like the positivity of your previous post.

20. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Nah, examiner was just a little bit of a weirdo (he met my teacher at the start and test was in the learning dual control car).
    I think it's all online now, will be logging in to search for cancellations.
    Bloody expensive business all this I hope it doesn't take too many goes.

21. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Any other test centres in the area? My first test was fucked up by narrow city streets double-parked to the point of impassability, so I booked the next test out in the countryside. Also removes the possibility of getting the same wanker of an examiner.

kebabking likes this.
  22. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I think the nearest alternative is in Croydon. Which is quite far away and not the countryside.
    Far as I know you have to do the test in the same car you learnt in (so the teaching car with the dual control in case of disaster). If that's true then unless my instructor is up for a trip to the countryside I think I'm stuck.
    :confused:
    edit: Turns out you can do it in your own car, but I don't have one obvs and if its a hired car it would have to have dual control. Weird.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  23. Bahnhof Strasse

You can do it in any car, however you can't hire a car without a full licence from a car hire outfit, the only ones that would be insured for a learner to hire would be an instructor's car, so will come with dual controls...

bimble likes this.
  24. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

This is true. However, once you pass your test and get your own car it all becomes cheap as ...no wait. :(

Little relevant story. I passed second time but it was the third time I went for a test. Because the second time I went for a test was at 8.30am on a February morning when the roads were icy and there was a cover of fog. The test centre cancelled. But it still cost me over fifty quid. And this was in 1992. Be warned.

As for other test centres...West Wickham? It’s where I passed and I was living in Brixton. No, I’ve never heard of it before or since but its countryside kinda thing rather than the golden-paved metropolis that is Londonshire.

25. bimble

bimble noisy but small

kebabking likes this.
  26. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

sure its not that long..

when i failed the last time i had to find a new instructor and a new test sure it was in about a week

:hmm:

27. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I dunno Ax^ will be looking for availability but my teacher said they won't offer you a re-take within ten days, said the website will know i've just failed and they want me to go away and think about that for a while.

28. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

hmms not sure either

but a goverment website that won't just take your money

:hmm:

more about limited space i thought

how many test now btw :)

bimble likes this.
  29. bimble

bimble noisy but small

One down an unlimited number to go. :thumbs:

Ax^ likes this.