Learning to drive

Discussion in 'transport' started by Black Halo, Aug 25, 2014.

1. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I don't know :). After what went wrong with the first driving instructor I've put effort into not asking him anything personal about himself though I am curious.He is from an african country, strong accent rolling Rs, I don't think its french but could be.

Spymaster likes this.
  2. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

You might find it pays to really get on with some people, especially your driving instructor.

3. bimble

bimble noisy but small

We get on great and communicate really well I just didn’t want to get too personal, and ‘where are you from’ is an annoying question anyway. . Lesson today went really well, felt like I was driving like an actual driver, apart from when we did a humongous two lane roundabout .

Ax^ and hash tag like this.
  4. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Do what neatly everyone else does, talk about the weather. It is relevant to your driving :thumbs:

5. bimble

bimble noisy but small

A good driving instructor (like mine) is part psychologist I think. He is amazingly insightful about what’s going on in my head when I make mistakes, does impressions of me that crack me up and says wise things about fear and self belief etc, all of which is still just talking about driving. It’s like getting therapy thrown in for free. :cool:

Chemical needs likes this.
  6. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Saturday night and I’m going to sit here watching several YouTube videos about parallel parking.
    :cool:

RubyToogood and kebabking like this.
  7. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I thought this was going to be a song

8. bimble

bimble noisy but small

its a tragic opera.
    Every video has different instructions and all of them are boring as hell.

9. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

“In the wing mirror, when the wheel arch bisects (aligns with?) the kerb” is all you can know.

10. bimble

bimble noisy but small

its all about the size of the triangle.

11. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

Fuck that shit, just get a tow bar and you can reverse park how you like....

Bahnhof Strasse and bimble like this.
  12. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 17.10.26.png
    I am very bored.

kebabking likes this.
  13. bimble

bimble noisy but small

1.6mm of tread depth across the central ¾ of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference of the tyre

14. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

on reflection, it'll be worth it.

kebabking and bimble like this.
  15. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

This. A thousand times this.

Once you get it over with you can drive through the pass and mooch into Llangollen, or go up to Llandudno for fish and chips and dip your toes in the sea...

If it doesn't work out the first time don't worry, the second time you'll be far less nervous.

16. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Thank you kebabking ! Exactly. Just have to keep the goal in view.
    Am going to view this one as a mock test.

Bahnhof Strasse and kebabking like this.
  17. bimble

bimble noisy but small

18. Jesus:

kebabking likes this.
  19. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Thats the fall back attitude. Be positive, go out there and pass!

20. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

21. flypanam

flypanam “There is no reason for restraint”

Booked my test for the 12th January. Feeling confident so far in the lessons, although getting used to impatient drivers has been hard as my first reaction is to yell 'Fuck off'.

22. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Epic 3 hour lesson just now, thought I was heading onto south circular by mistake at one point but it turned out ok.

trabuquera and kebabking like this.
  23. bimble

bimble noisy but small

kebabking likes this.
  24. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Fear not, the south circular is not a motorway. There are thousands of turnings on and off of it. It is not the end of the world and nor is it the road to the end of the world.
    i am fairly certain there are only tiny little stretches which are dual carriageway.

bimble likes this.
  25. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Enviro and bimble like this.
  26. bimble

bimble noisy but small

^ i've been ignoring the Driving Standards thread not realising it might make me feel better. :D

hash tag likes this.
  27. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

There are some awful things that happen out there on the roads....think to yourself, I can't possibly be that bad or stupid! :thumbs:

28. kebabking likes this.
  29. existentialist

existentialist # #A52A2A

I think the only real way to nail parallel parking is to find a patient mate with a licence and an interesting book, and get them to take you to a deserted car park on a Sunday, and just practice and practice and practice getting the car to line up with the painted lines. Then, when you're reasonably confident, you can do the same with Actual Kerbs,

You don't need your mate there to tell you anything or instruct you - that's why they've brought a book. It's just so you can have an opportunity to get it wrong time and again without any comeback (eg kerbs, sarky comments, or advice).

The only other thing I'd say about parallel parking is that it's all about curves. Too many people think in straight lines. FTR, I'm rather good at parallel parking, I think because I did exactly this, albeit after I'd passed my test when I didn't have to have anyone else there.

bimble likes this.
  30. bimble

bimble noisy but small

First test was.. not a pass. :(
    One major fault, which was me stopping in the middle of a junction, because I saw the 2nd set of red traffic lights, when i should have just carried on. 5 minor faults.
    Two massive roundabouts in the test and no faults for them so am trying to be upbeat.