Learning to drive

Discussion in 'transport' started by Black Halo, Aug 25, 2014.

1. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I had to find a new instructor cos the first one was rubbish - this seems quite normal, maybe quite a lot of driving instructors are just a bit weird.
    New one is absolutely brilliant (if you live in south London and feel like starting lessons again let me know).

Mogden likes this.
  2. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

Just bin whatever you can from your schedule without going bankrupt and pack in as much driving practice as you can.

Don't worry if you don't pass, unless the examiner takes control in the first 90 seconds of the test you'll have got 90+% of the test right, they'll give you a list of the half dozen things you got wrong and you can fix them in a couple of lessons and fly through the next test.

I'm not sure if you'll need this in that Lundun, but a helpful driving hint: the most dangerous surface for breaking and steering is a wet cattle grid. Never, ever try to steer on one...

Good luck!

3. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Between driving lessons I tried to pack in some driving experience with my father. It was a nightmare and I couldn't hack it. It did not stop me passing first time after 12 1 hour lessons :thumbs:
    Took an ex out in a car once after she had had about 20 lessons. She went wide on a left hand turn. She nearly wrote of my car and the one she hit :eek:

My Mrs recently took lots and lots of refreshers and said her instructor in South East London/North Kent was excellent. There are good instructors out there.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  4. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

I passed second time after 12 one hour lessons (and no lessons from daddy...mainly coz he was dead).

You are the only other person I’ve heard from who has passed after so few. I was 28. (Bet you were younger ;) ).

5. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

It was a long time ago. Could only bear going out with my father once and did more harm than good.
    My philosphy was if all those old people and stupid actors and footballers and the like can drive, then how hard can it be?
    I was brimming over with arrogance. Three point turns, no problem. Reversing around a corner a nightmare. My instructor was good and certainly concentrated on my weak points, over and over again. It worked. I doubt I could pass a test today, which is why I did an AIM driving course.

6. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

I think on the instructor thing you have to find the one that suits you. I thought the one I passed with was excellent but a friend lasted one lesson with him so you know, different strokes and all that.

Mind, I can't imagine a pissed up one is good for anyone. Is that even legal? I would have thought the licence holder in the car has to be sober regardless of whether they are driving? :confused:

7. bimble

bimble noisy but small

How long it takes to learn to drive is directly related to how old you are apparently. On top of not being 17 I've also got car-fear issues probably to do with having been in a fairly serious crash (whilst on mushrooms) years and years ago but - will get there, long as i keep remembering what i'm doing it for.

8. Teaboy

Yes, if you pass when you are 18 it has taken you 18 years, if you pass when you are 19 it has taken you 19 years. You really can't argue with logic like that. :p

On the plus side though as long as you are not a complete danger examiners are looking for reasons to pass you unlike when you're 18 where it is quite the opposite.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Bahnhof Strasse, hash tag and bimble like this.
  9. planetgeli

My instructor told me “a lesson for every year”. So at 28, to do 12 lessons and pass, I was chuffed. And I laughed at my brother, who’s a twat, who took 50 lessons at 40.

On cattle grids. Try the Black mountain, at 6am in the snow and ice. And a cattle grid. :facepalm:

kebabking and bimble like this.
  10. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Two of us have now admitted to passing after 12 lessons :rolleyes:

11. kebabking

bimble if you feel that motivation could do with a kick in the arse, get yourself (somehow) up to Ruthin on a Sunday and try and go anywhere by public transport!

It's going properly autumnal - it's utterly beautiful with orange, yellow and red as far as the eye can see...

planetgeli and bimble like this.
  12. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I'm getting out in that direction for a couple of days next week.. by train and bus and taxi. :)

kebabking likes this.
  13. kebabking

I hope you're not looking to go more than a few miles in a couple of days next week?

14. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Once i'm there it'll be just muddy boots no vehicular tansport no mileage needed, but this is what I want to drive for, being able to be where public transport is not.

kebabking likes this.
  15. kebabking

I think there's a bus a month through Corwen to Bala - but you have to want to stay in Bala for another month...

I live a couple of miles outside Worcester - the last bus was about 1983 - if we both didn't have cars we'd be properly fucked.

bimble likes this.
  16. bimble

bimble noisy but small

On the other hand, last time i got a bus in north wales it was lovely, real sense of cosiness in there with the rain sheeting down outside and all 3 of us passengers having gotten to know eachother a bit whilst waiting by the side of the road for a month. we don't have that in London.

SpookyFrank and kebabking like this.
  17. Went out with my Mum for one lesson, ended badly, so my dad came round once a week and we’d drive to the pub :facepalm:

18. Dunno how many lessons but passed in October having turned 17 at the end of August, taking the test in Hayes at 0830 was a bonus, in the 40 minutes or so the test lasted for we managed about 2 miles.

19. planetgeli

This is exactly how I passed. Except 3.30, school run time. West Wickham (?). I’d never even heard of it. I lived in Brixton.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  20. iona

iona toxic clown

I just got my provisional licence back (had to update some details) so I should probably get some lessons sorted now :hmm: Gonna fuck cars off for the time being and just aim to pass my cbt so I can get a little automatic scooter for nipping about town.

RubyToogood and bimble like this.
  21. flypanam

flypanam “There is no reason for restraint”

Am in my mid 40's and have just started taking lessons. It's okay, although I've had quite a bit of experience driving around rural Ireland. Booking my test today and have been advised to go first thing in the morning or school run.

bimble likes this.
  22. bimble

bimble noisy but small

My tests booked for midday in some place called Hither Green. I think my chances of passing first time are extremely remote, rush hour or not.

23. Teaboy

It must be tough learning in London. There are a lot of very tricky junctions and the roads are like a battlefield compared to elsewhere in the country.

I reckon people learning in small towns have it best because there are much less difficult junctions / roundabouts and you would have got to know the area really well prior to your test so you know whats coming.

kebabking and bimble like this.
  24. TruXta

TruXta tired

It's a fact that pass rates are lower in big towns and cities. The highest is some isolated island up north of Scotland with only one road on it.

25. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Thanks for saying that, its exactly those things the big junctions and roundabouts that I find most difficult, that and the amount of people and cars everywhere doing unexpected things really fast.

26. planetgeli

I'll give you a tip I didn't know on my test bimble - and which formed part of an um-er answer at the end, which I got away with. When sitting at traffic lights waiting to turn right (but waiting for the green filter arrow), you are allowed to move forward before that arrow appears (just don't turn right until it does).

27. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Don't think i've met a green arrow for turning right yet. Lots of yellow boxes which you can only go in if turning right though (i think).

28. planetgeli

And neither had I until there was one right outside the test centre.

bimble likes this.
  29. PaoloSanchez

PaoloSanchez Well-Known Member

1. Green light alone = Give way to oncoming before turning
    2. Green light with arrow = Oncoming traffic has a red light so you're free to go straight or turn.
    3. ONLY green arrow = You can turn but not go straight.

30. planetgeli

This is true, but realistically, in London, on your test and without great experience (but with nerves) I wouldn't go trying to jump across the oncoming lane because there is almost certainly not going to be enough time for you to do so (under all the conditions I've given). You ain't going to meet quiet roads in Hither Green I don't think. We're basically talking some combination of the A20, the south circular and/or Lewisham High Street.