Laurel And Hardy Movie (2018)

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by editor, Oct 22, 2018.

1. editor

editor Forked with electrons

This might be quite interesting

They certainly look the part

[​IMG]

Stan & Ollie review – melancholy twilight of comedy gods Laurel and Hardy

2. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

could be another fine mess

3. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

It comes across like the sort of screen 2 films you'd see on the beeb in the 80s/90s. Would never have expected Coogan and Reilly as cast but they certainly look the part.

4. editor

editor Forked with electrons

I never knew about the end of Laurel and Hardy's career so I might be interested in a 'watch it on TV' kind of way.

cupid_stunt and krtek a houby like this.
  5. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Fishing in the River of Life....

cupid_stunt and Ranu like this.
  6. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

Here's a home movie from 1956

Poi E, danny la rouge, Tankus and 2 others like this.
  7. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Alles hat ein Ende nur eine Wurst hat zwei

My dad got their autographs as a kid during that tour when they came to newcastle. too poor to actually get into the show. Buster Keaton as well- but not sure if it was at the same time. Havent seen his autograph book for about 30 years sadly.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Mab, Poi E, sojourner and 1 other person like this.
  8. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut ... the Great.

Part of this was filmed in Worthing, so I'll have to watch it. :D

There's a shot of The Lido at 1:26 in the trailer -

Untitled.png

editor likes this.
  9. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

i have a soft spot for them - great childhood memories, they made me laugh.
    i don't think they were nasty or mean in real life either - or at least 'reported'.

10. hammerntongues

hammerntongues Well-Known Member

Look forward to seeing this too .

I remember back when I was a child watching Laurel&Hardy , Buster Keaton , Charlie Chaplin etc on a Sunday morning show , I may have got confused but I think it may have been presented by Bob Monkhouse , I know he was a big silent movies fan .

11. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Mad Movies

Sprocket. likes this.
  12. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

I revisited a load of L&H stuff recently with my kids, and it's still brilliant. We ended up visiting the Laurel and Hardy Museum in Ulverston on the back of it, which I'd recommend to all fans of L&H, and all fans of shonky museums.

Unsure about whether I would love this film tbh, although the performances look remarkable from what I've seen.

13. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut ... the Great.

The filming in Worthing took place last May.

The Argus has 17 photos on this page:
    PICTURES: Steve Coogan and John C Reilly film BBC's Stan and Ollie at Worthing Lido

14. Sprocket.

I always remember hearing that right up to his death Stan Laurel’s phone number was listed in the area directory. He would always answer, ‘Laurel residence’ and spend time chatting with fans.
    What a wonderful person he must have been.

ringo, Idris2002, tim and 4 others like this.
  15. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Sprocket. likes this.
  16. Sprocket.

They made me laugh as a kid and I still laugh now.
    It was a scene in one of their shorts that still inspires all the lads in our family to take hard boiled eggs and nuts to anyone of us if we are in hospital.

Lupa and sojourner like this.
  17. Lorca

Lorca Somebody after all, had to make a start

Heh, i too recently visited the laurel and hardy museum. Highlights were the weird stan and ollie statues and stan's mangle. Also impressive was the young lad on the door who told us he had just watched every film for 83 hours in a row for charity. 20181118_115237.jpg 20181118_115648.jpg 20181118_115618.jpg

Sue, Mab, Sprocket. and 4 others like this.
  18. hash tag

hash tag never too old

I was not sure I wanted to see this as I'm a fan of Stan and Ollie and feared the film would show them in a not so favourable lift. It is a tremendous film which flew by. They were some great roles in the film, not least coogan and Reilly who had them off to a tee.
    It showed a lot of deep love between Stan and Ollie. Do go and see it, you won't regret it, but, you may need a tissue. :thumbs:

Mab, Smick, Chilli.s and 1 other person like this.
  19. Sprocket.

I was getting a tad emotional listening to Kermode’s review of the film and Coogan and Reilly talking about them yesterday on Radio5 love.

passenger likes this.
  20. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

Apparently Lewisham Broadway theatre was featured in the film...the stage and dressing rooms.

Poi E likes this.
  21. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

Went this evening, loved every moment - its a really good movie and quite tender, definitiely take tissues! Stan's wife is a brilliant charecter!

Smick and hash tag like this.
  22. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I saw a clip on the Graham Norton show last night. Coogan seemed to have made a good job of it, I was impressed. Not sure I will see the film though.

23. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

Going to see this today with a couple of mates down in Exeter. Looking forward to it

24. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

I watched it yesterday. It's a sweet film, and a sad film, and it is funny (a real testament to the original material). The two main actor's performances are fantastic, and the film hinges on their meticulous impersonation of Laurel and Hardy. There's not a lot of a story here, so it is all about these two characters, their relationship and what's going on for them internally, and that is conveyed wonderfully throughout.

I forgot it was Googan very quickly, which is a good thing because I tend to find him unbearable. He was wonderful in this, as was John C Reilly.

Nina Arianda and Shirley Henderson had a lot less to do, but did a great deal with it.

Rufus Jones playing the oily promoter is also very entertaining.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Sue, Orang Utan, hash tag and 3 others like this.
  25. High Voltage

:eek:

I didn't think it was THAT kind of film

26. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

EDITED!!!

High Voltage likes this.
  27. High Voltage

Freudian slip ;)

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  28. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Mrs Tag has just been liked and retweeted by Jon S. Baird....i think it's a WOW moment.

Totoro303 likes this.
  29. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

I shall go and see this, but the trailer made me a feel a bit icky - mainly cos Stan & Ollie don't look quite real - like ventriloquist dummies

30. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

Really well put. Got to see it today and very impressed.