Latitude - any good? Apparently I'm going next year

Discussion in 'festivals' started by free spirit, Oct 11, 2014.

1. free spirit

free spirit more tea vicar?

So I seem to have agreed to go to Latitude next year, but know bugger all about it.

So hit me up Urban, what's it like?

I'm going with folk who have young kids and it's their choice of festie, so presumably it'll be family friendly and that sort of thing..... tbh I just checked the website out and erm it's not looking like being my sort of thing, and it's in suffolk.

But maybe that's for the best, we can make our own fun or something.

2. ferrelhadley

ferrelhadley These violent delights have violent ends.

I dont know anyone who has ever been.

Doubt thats informative beyond the obvious. It aint Glade or the Bangface weekender.

3. free spirit

I think I was mixing it up with a different festival that lots of urbs go to when I said yes.

Ground Elder likes this.
  4. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

Isn't it where Guardian readers take their accessories/children to?

Does Vince Power still run it?

5. ferrelhadley

ferrelhadley These violent delights have violent ends.

I had assumed it was a bit of an anodyne indie pop type affair.

6. free spirit

it was just dawning on me that it was one of his affairs.

wonder if I can subtly swing it around to us going somewhere else.

7. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

There's lots of poetry etc, that's all I know. Have a lovely time! :)

8. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

Josie Long will probably be performing.

9. free spirit

what have I let myself in for?

I'm going to end up in arguments with security over attempting to have fun aren't I. I may as well kick myself out now tbh.

Crispy and Libertad like this.
  10. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

It sounds a bit safe for me IYSWIM but horses for courses and all that

11. tbtommyb

tbtommyb Well-Known Member

i tried to persuade an ex-girlfriend to go as i thought it would be an easy introduction to festivals for someone who viewed them with abhorrence.

she refused to go and we split up soon after.

don't know if that helps, sorry

12. tbtommyb

tbtommyb Well-Known Member

ALTHOUGH, you could be the one person selling pills and make a hell of a lot if you can persuade a few to give it a go.

13. free spirit

you lot are really not helping convince me this is a good plan.

14. lizzieloo

I think for you it will be a crap plan

15. free spirit

now don't go giving me silly ideas.

I'm the sort of idiot who'd do that just to liven things up a bit... allegedly.

16. BlueSquareThing

BlueSquareThing With chips

Comedy is pretty good there and the poetry and literature stuff is OK as well. There will be an unsigned bands stage and the musical mix usually has something for everyone more or less. It is *very* family friendly. I used to drive past the site on my way to work and it's 15 minutes down the road so we've done a few days there but the prices seem to have gone up every year and I'll usually base a decision on whether to go in whether or not there's a band or two I really want to see.

The bit of Suffolk it's in is quite nice btw - lots of outdoor stuff and plenty to get away from. But you might hat the sort of festival it is - all a bit guardian reader perhaps. They even have ballet on a floating stage...

17. free spirit

aha, after scouring this years line up I've finally found a band that I actually would have gone to see because I wanted to.... James.

Defo the sort of festival someone would usually have to pay me good money to attend in a working capacity, and I might have a couple of beers one night and wander off to see a band or something, but 3 whole days and nights of it?

18. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I've been. Every year since the first one, but if it wasn't just 30 mins up the road, i'm not sure i'd make the effort. But i know plenty of regulars from London who do drive up every year. It's really not an 'urban' festival, so may not be your kind of thing. Not edgy in the slightest. It's really a family affair, great for kids, teens looking for a 'safe' first festival experience. It's Guardian-reading middle-class really. And it's expensive. Very expensive. And commercial, not V or T commercial, but still...

Having said that, it's a beautiful site. Woods, lake and the weather has been perfect the last couple of years. You're not going to get big, big headliners, but the undercard always has a few surprises (23 Skidoo in the Keith Allen tent was a nice one this year) and I like the Literary Tent too. And the Film Arena. Comedy is always rammed, so can't be arsed with that. It's certainly not about big name bands.

For me, it's an easy w/e. My daughters started going when they were 8/9, went every year since, and now volunteer there. It's that kind of festival.

You'll probably hate it. ;)

19. free spirit

Thanks marshall,

tbh maybe I should give something like this a bit more of a go, maybe even get some sleep at night, and not be entirely trashed the next week. More about being with old friends than seeing whatever band / dj anyway, and if they've got kids then it's going to have to be something like this I guess.

20. marshall

Yep, for me it's as much about catching up with my old London mates as it is about which band is playing. It used to be Glasto, but none of us can hack the slogging about anymore, so for some reason it's become Latitude. Like I say, it's easy. No treks. And it is a lovely site. Just remember your mossie spray when you're in the woods.

Might see you there if you fancy a spliff break from the kids.

21. lizzieloo

You two are gonna get right munted :D

aqua likes this.
  22. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

Why is it called 'Latitude'? It doesn't seem to be at a particularly interesting latitude in geographical terms and in terms of wider social meaning it would me more accurately called 'Authoritarianism'. :confused:

23. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

Second worst festie I've ever been to.

Just awfully smug and yes, family friendly. We actually got a warning to stop talking at our tents, at midnight, as kids were sleeping.

And Josie Long. And Ed Sheeran. Uggggh.

Won't make the same mistake again.

24. free spirit

keep it coming, I need ammunition to change venues

25. marshall

Just out of interest, fs, why are your friends so keen on Lat? In particular? Have they been before, or is it all about the kids for them?

26. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

I went to Latitude in 2008. I really enjoyed the festival, Elbow, Grinderman, Micha P Hinson, Sigur ros, Wave Pictures, Glavegas and loads of other bands that I love. It was laid back, a pit posh (pink sheep) good comedy tents and on site hairdressers :cool:

The only thing that I didn't like was that I had a broken leg and was in plaster and on crutches at the time. Honestly, people just pushed me out of their way quite a few times :( Also, we were surprised that people camping around us in the camper van field never spoke to anyone other than the people they were with. :(
    In short, loved the festival but didn't care much for the punters :)
    I would go back again if I could afford to though. This year my money's going to Glastonbury for the first time in seven years :)

27. free spirit

I have no idea, they just said they were wanting to do Latitude as their festival next year, and wanted me to come. I was thinking of a different festival so just said yes.

28. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I've never been but I've been told a lot about it, basically what everyone has said here. Guardian readers with kids, wearing cath kidston, getting "merry" and queueing up in the car park for gold buggy taxis to their tents.

Tell them to go to shambala instead.

Sweet FA likes this.
  29. WBC-WORKER

WBC-WORKER Well-Known Member

Vince was never involved with it - it was started by the land owners son and Melvin Benn { sure he used to work for Vince but that was before Latitude first started }

I have worked at them all and find it to be interesting and less of a hassle to get about compared to Glastonbury.

its a nice site - I prefer the in the woods area rather than the lake { where the mosquitoes hang about }

it has good access { but we arrive the day before the public can enter } and leaving on the Monday morning has never been a problem.

I have not ran into many people who did not like it.

[​IMG]

30. BlueSquareThing

BlueSquareThing With chips

The only thing I'd add to that is to avoid the A12 route up if you can. At least come off of it at Woodbridge and through the back roads through Tunstall, Snape, Leiston and up to Blythburgh before having to get back on it for half an hour. Much easier and nicer and prettier (well, other than Leiston...).