1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Late 90's/early noughties jungle DNB

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by sim667, May 17, 2016.

1. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I'm on a massive jungle/ old stool drum and bass tip at the minute, but obviously finding good 320's of the tunes is finding difficult....

But I keep thinking of tunes I want and no idea what they're called, so was hoping teh urbs could help me revisit the ones I liked....

Tended to be very ameny, or very reese bassy. There's one I really want that went Worb, worb, worb...... with an epic bass intro. I want to say its dark soldier, but I don't think it is...... any random suggestions?

Also if anyone has got a 320 of funkin em up, by shy fx, I will love you forever....

Anyway urbs, relive your last millennial dnb jungle dreams here :D

2. sim667

I actually just found the worb worb one, its the dark soldier vip

The_Reverend_M and ringo like this.
  3. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

I'm glad you find it, 'cause this is literally the worst attempt to identify a d&b tune I've ever seen. :D

salem, Fozzie Bear, Hoss and 2 others like this.
  4. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Around the millennium I was into bad company. I still think Inside the Machine was the best dnb album ever.

The_Reverend_M likes this.
  5. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

I found a copy of that on the bus a couple of years ago. It is pretty banging.

Shame about what happened to DJ fresh. :(

6. sim667

It was all about crucafixion on bad company's digital nation.....

I think my only copy is mixed :(

7. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I got dark soldier when it came out and it is still my favourite... can't tell much difference between this VIP mix and the original? also on the original sides A and B were called "..pt1" and "..pt 2" but were totally identical as far as I have ever been able to tell, i mean it is a great tune but he seems to have sold exactly the same tune 3 times ha

8. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Ps late 90s/early 00s is not in any way "old school". unless I am old. hmmmm I will have to give this more thought.

9. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

anyway. this is a killer

sim667 likes this.
  10. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

you're old
    me too though
    old stool crew (have a nice sit down)

pesh likes this.
  11. sim667

I'd consider it old school drum and bass, not old stool jungle though.

In comparison to what dnb sounds like now, its certainly old skool.....

12. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I don't know what it sounds like now, I haven't been to a drum and bass night in over 10 years.

13. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

I was listening to some mid 00's D&B 12s the other night, that wasn't so good. The pendulum sound that dominated round then sounds disgusting now, dated really badly...

The_Reverend_M and ska invita like this.
  14. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

15. sim667

Jump up dnb.... it literally all sounds the same.

16. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

ha I just found someone has uploaded one of my favourite cover mount cds from when I was getting into jungle, including all the funny adverts. 2 half hour sets, 1 happy hardcore from Dj Sy and 1 jungle from Kenny Ken. all awesome

sim667 likes this.
  17. sim667

This was a big tune.

18. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

don't why the uploader is named "old skool ravers unite" tho as it is obviously not old school

19. sim667

I've got loads of tape pack rips I've been thinking about uploading too.... Jumping jack frost, Hype etc.

20. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Millenial dnb is not oldschool. Not sure any dnb is oldschool tbh as it evolved from Jungle and, like all dance music, rapidly went downhill after the millennium.

Claiming this stuff is oldschool implies that the current output has some merit.

Also not sure anything after like 1995 can be oldschool anything.

21. sim667

Surely old school is relative?

Also I still struggle with people getting so bothered by slight discrepancies in music terminology.... kind of defeats the whole point of rave music, no?

22. sim667

I'd forgotten about this bad company tune too...

The_Reverend_M and bi0boy like this.
  23. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

I'm not at a rave I'm sat here waiting for the plumber to finish faffing about in the bathroom. Getting bothered by slight discrepancies in musical genres is a great way to pass the time.

sim667 likes this.
  24. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

no-one actually cares, it's just fun arguing about nonsense on the internet.

25. The_Reverend_M

The_Reverend_M More bass, vicar?

Tunidge.

sim667 likes this.
  26. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

I wouldn't call anything after 1994/5 old school jungle/drum'n'bass. And if it's after Bukem's Logical Progression ('96) don't even think about it :mad: :):);)

BassJunkie, pesh and sim667 like this.
  27. The_Reverend_M

sim667 - is this the "worp worp worp" tune? :)

sim667 likes this.
  28. sim667

No, but I was about to rip a tape with this on to send to a friend and see if he knew what this tune was. Amazing.

The worb worb one was ray keith - dark soldier vip.

There's another one that sounds similar to this, but the bass notes go down...... any idea?

29. The_Reverend_M

Has to be this, surely...

30. sim667

No, unfortunately not. I think it was a 2000 tune, did the rounds for a couple of months and then stopped being played.

Or I bet its a fucking dub plate.