Large floating island of junk

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by tendril, Sep 14, 2012.

1. tendril

tendril Leave your money on the dresser

I have heard reports that there is a large 'floating island' of non-biodegradable junk, mainly plastics, that has formed in the middle of the Pacific.

Can anyone confirm or deny this without linking to yoghurt weaving websites? Are there any relaible aerial photos available?

2. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

http://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...at-stretches-from-hawaii-to-japan-778016.html

Clearly you need to practice your google-fu.

Greebo likes this.
  3. mao

mao I'm totally wired

Thus guy could further expand his project with all that junk:

4. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

5. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

Mayan calendar? That's where he lost me. What happens to Richard's island in a big swell or tropical storm? Fair play to the bloke though. :)

6. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

and the dolphins have done nothing with all this quality building material. NOTHING

7. el-ahrairah

el-ahrairah forward communism, forward gerbils!

useless bastard dolphins. this is why we need to back the whales.

8. Boris Sprinkler

Boris Sprinkler Jah bless

It is unlikely you will see aerial photographs as from what I understand the majority plastics are broken down to very small pieces, but the water resembles a soup if analysed up close as the currents gather this toxic matter all together in the Pacific gyre. These pieces of plastic get eaten up by the life forms there. Nom nom nom. And then we eat the fish that feed on these. Nom Nom Nom.
    Plenty of links available on non yogurt weaving sites.

http://marinedebris.noaa.gov/info/patch.html

9. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

I think I saw a documentary on this a while ago (although it might have been something different). Lots of beer can holder things and birds getting their necks caught in them

10. Minnie_the_Minx

11. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

I've been buying a lot of fat balls for the local birds over the past couple of years, and not only are the plastic nets they come in hazardous to birds, I've felt it necessary to save them up so I can apply heat to turn them into one solid landfillable lump that won't be able to escape.

Libertad likes this.
  12. Verbatim

Verbatim Active Member

It's thoroughly depressing. Haven't studies shown some stupidly high percentage of sea life is now riddled with plastic as a result?

13. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

Speak for yourself.

14. spacemonkey

spacemonkey I Love Noodles

It's more like a floating soup, 1 m thick, speread over thousands of square km's.

The plastic breaks down into smaller and smaller chunks and is basically absorped right the way through the food chain. The little lumps of plastic also act like a sponge, collecting and concentrating pollutant molecules.

If you think it's bad now, wait until rising sea levels start ripping into low level rubbish dumps around the world. Billions of tonnes just waiting to be washed out to sea.

15. Boris Sprinkler

Boris Sprinkler Jah bless

I was speaking as humans as a species. I try and avoid fish. Because it tastes like fish.

stuff_it likes this.
  16. Minnie_the_Minx

Yeah, look how low-lying Maldives is and they have that enormous rubbish dump island

17. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Errr. .....?

Did you miss the thread we already have on this?

http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/the-worlds-rubbish-dump.166835/#post-5601673

And not that long ago, you could access a substantial feature on it via Google Earth. IIRC, you need to switch on the earth/environmental info layer

18. pogofish

Thing is, that island in the Maldives does get taken out of context. Yes it's an environmental blot but equally, the Maldives and other Pacific population centres have been using landfill as a way of expanding their usable land And creating sea defences for a very long time now. If you check it out further, it turns out that this dump is going to eventually be stabilised and reclaimed to expand their port/industrial facilities away from the main city and a substantial chunk of it has already been developed.

19. Minnie_the_Minx

Yeah, I realise that, but isn't the Maldives also at risk of being totally wiped out in years to come due to rising sea levels etc? :confused:

20. pogofish

Yes and this is part of the precautions they are taking to try and avoid this. The island is very clearly sited to shelter the capital from the ocean, in a way that could end up being poldered to keep it back in the Dutch fashion

21. Minnie_the_Minx

I have absolutely no idea what the last sentence meant :oops: but I do understand about fake islands sheltering others

So how big would this new island need to be to avert a disaster to the main island?

22. pogofish

It's the method the Dutch developed to protect, reclaim and utilise low lying land from the open sea. Poldering is large scale civil engineering that uses a mixture of artificial islands, sea walls, canals, sluces dams, raising existing land and channels to manage the water around them and the first stage is often a lot of landfill.

I would imagine the Maldives would need an immense amount of work to protect them fully, so I could see quite a few of the smaller/less populated islands vanishing completely but the main population centres are a different matter and quite small compared to what has already been done in Holland. I suppose they of all the pacific Islands are best placed to do this as they have a reasonably developed industrial/tourist economy to pay for this.

I'm not in a position to link to google earth just now (iPad won't run it) but if you search out the Maldives, you should see that the junk island is a pretty massive construction over an existing low level atoll and another completed island just beside it. Link enough of these together and you have an amount of protection.

23. Minnie_the_Minx

Thanks for info, already googled pictures of the islands earlier.

pogofish likes this.
  24. tendril

dog. bark. yourself ;)

p.s. thanks for the link

Greebo likes this.
  25. tendril

evidently.

spring-peeper and pogofish like this.
  26. Nylock

Nylock I hate 'these days'...

[pedant]Maldives are in the Indian Ocean[/pedant]
    :)

trabuquera and tendril like this.
  27. girasol

girasol Ubuntu

we are so doomed :(

28. pogofish

29. Nylock

Nylock I hate 'these days'...

Yeah, i know... I was just being pedantic for the sake of it</P&P> ;)

pogofish likes this.
  30. yield

yield zero

*bump*
    'Great Pacific garbage patch' sprawling with far more debris than thought
    Thu 22 Mar 2018

muscovyduck likes this.