Question Laptop Hard drive

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by xsunnysuex, Aug 15, 2018.

1. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

Could anyone tell me please if this hard drive is compatible with this laptop? Thanks.

upload_2018-8-15_18-58-36.png

upload_2018-8-15_18-59-9.png

2. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

It should be yes but if that is an actual picture of the drive for sale then the external case is missing and the unit is unlikely to work properly.

alex_ likes this.
  3. xsunnysuex

Thank you. I know nothing about these things. The hard drive has failed on the laptop I have. Thanks for your help. I don't want to waste money if it isn't going to be any good.

4. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Buy an ssd if you havent bought this yet.

Will make your laptop run a lot faster once installed.

May be possible to recover data from the failed hard disc btw. Worth asking.

5. xsunnysuex

Thanks. Do you know how to go about finding out what one I need?
    Looking on Google it seems there are different sizes.

6. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

If you a afford it buy a ssd
    £25 for 120gb
    £40 for 240gb

Recovering data is some times possible. Its not always easy though.
    Get set up with a working disk and the post a thread.

xsunnysuex likes this.
  7. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Do you have your installation media to install when you have your new disk

8. xsunnysuex

I have a Windows 7 disc.

9. xsunnysuex

I don't need to recover data. It's a laptop I purchased from somebody.

10. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

good stuff
    I think Toshiba have a good site for drivers and stuff

11. xsunnysuex

Thank you. Is it a complicated job to install?

12. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Oooh might be worth a try anyway.
    Who knows what you might find

13. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Windows will detect and set up some stuff automatically. Some stuff will need you to download and install files from Toshiba.

Shouldn't be too bad.

Do you think you'll go for the ssd disk?

14. xsunnysuex

Quite possibly. It's an option I wasn't aware of. But I'm useless at these things. So it depends on how easy it is to install it.

15. xsunnysuex

To actually put it into the laptop I mean.

16. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

from that perspective it’s exactly the same as a regular drive.

It’s just a LOT faster, it’ll feel like using a new pc

Alex

17. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

They do make a Reasonable difference

But as Mr Underscore says, they are the same to install. Same screw points same cable points.

18. xsunnysuex

This laptop was knackered when I got it. I tried to install my Windows 7. But it said it couldn't be installed on the hard drive as it was failing. So if I can even get it working, that will be a result .

19. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

Do you have an installation key (funny code that is 5 groups of numbers and letters seperated by dashes) with the W7 disk? The L300D was originally shipped with Windows Vista not Windows 7 and the one on the bottom of the
    laptop probably won't work.

xsunnysuex likes this.
  20. xsunnysuex

I have a disc that makes windows genuine. It actually has windows 7 on it now. So the person I bought it off must have installed it.

21. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

It's relatively easy.

I had a Toshiba and I think everything was fairly easy to access, but it's been a while so memory is not great.

The best thing to do is to look up your model on YouTube using words like "beakdown" or "disassembly" or even just "replacement hard drive". Also look at iFixit website. There might be a guide there.

The trickiest bit is making sure you don't lose all the screws/cables etc. Someitmes you have to do a fair bit of disassembly on a hard drive, just to access something like a disk. But it all goes back to get easily enough if you remember the order you took it apart etc.

xsunnysuex likes this.
  22. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

OK that's good, I would be dubious about a SSD myself on a machine whose basic design is over 10 years old, Windows 7 was the first version of Windows that supported SSD drives so you have the software but you're taking a gamble on the laptop firmware being of a version that can, (toss of a coin I'm afraid)
    If the machine isn't working anyway then you might as well dismantle before buying a disk, the one inside will have a model number that you can use to find a compatible one.
    If you take it into a decent computer shop (if there is one near you) rather than one of the big chains they should be able to find you a compatible unit.

xsunnysuex likes this.
  23. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Looks pretty easy. Get a more techy friend with screwdrivers etc to help if you feel a bit too intimidated. Dont forget to stick on epic German music... :thumbs:

xsunnysuex likes this.
  24. xsunnysuex

Ok. I've managed to get the old hard drive out. I'm a bit worried after MickiQ kiq post that a SDD won't work. So I'm wondering if I should just get a replacement hard drive?
    If I do. Will the one below match? Mine on top.

upload_2018-8-30_13-37-4.png

upload_2018-8-30_13-37-56.png

25. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

Yes they're the same model

xsunnysuex likes this.
  26. xsunnysuex

Thank you.

MickiQ likes this.
  27. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

An ssd will work fine. Kingston 240gb one is 40 quid on Amazon. Just get that itll fit most any laptop. I put an ssd into a laptop designed for Vista and it runs great.

Only issue is for a few laptops some discs may be too chunky but for what you have that wont be an issue. Vid shows it's pretty simples.

Dont waste your time getting another mechanical hard disc fitting that and installing windows 5 times slower.

28. xsunnysuex

Thanks. I don't really know anything about hard drives. Do I need to look for any model In particular?

29. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Nah just buy one of those standard 3.5" ssds shaped the same as normal hard discs and pop it right into the slot. It'll work grand. You can easily do it yourself with some patience and youtube assistance, or get someone to give you a hand. I guarantee reinstalling windows will take at least three times as long as actually fitting the disk!;)

xsunnysuex likes this.
  30. xsunnysuex

Thanks. I managed to get the old hard drive out. And I've youtubed it. So think I might be ok. :thumbs: