1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lambeth's new waste and recycling rules

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by T & P, Mar 6, 2011.

1. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Got my letter today in the post- as I guess most people here have/will.

Some notable changes there (threats of £1000 fines included), but not terribly clear instructions as to how to comply.

Apparently recycling will be compulsory, though it remains to be explained how this will be implemented. I'm more concerned with the garden waste issue. It is to become a 'subscription-based service', whatever the fuck that means, and disposal of any garden waste in ordinary rubbish bags is now forbidden. As I don't have a car and no means to take my garden waste to the local tip, will I have to pay from now on to get rid of the lawn cuttings? :mad:

2. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Try the 'Wooden Horse' method...load up your trousers and surreptitiously scatter grass clippings around the compound with a shake of the ankle.

3. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Actually one positive piece of news on the letter was about the provisiion of cheap composters for residents. It would probably not take all of our garden waste but a composter would certainly help.

4. Voley

Voley The Prebendary Of Wetwang

Having to pay for green waste disposal's quite common. Down here you have to buy a separate sack - they're 65p each or so and they get picked up separately from domestic waste and are then carted off and composted. It's one of the things councils don't have a legal duty to remove so you'll see a lot more of this as councils look for savings as the cuts kick in - recycling banks and things that cost a fair bit to service will start disappearing, too. Basically, anything that the council doesn't have a legal duty to remove will be being looked at as a possible saving. Bulky waste charges could increase etc.

muscovyduck likes this.
  5. ajdown

ajdown Posting in this thread

They can go fuck themselves. I choose not to recycle and no tosser from the council is going to force me to do otherwise. I pay for them to take my rubbish away; if they want me to sort it then they can pay me for doing their job for them.

Metroman likes this.
  6. fredfelt

fredfelt Mostly unknown member

Good for you. Of course it's someone else's responsibility to sort your waste. Does you mum still do your washing?

catriona and muscovyduck like this.
  7. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

You say that now, but you may change your mind after a few years in the salt mines.

8. miss minnie

miss minnie Well-Known Member

I am and always have been happy to recycle, sort and wash everything prior to putting it out.

I *hope* that the council's revenue stream is improved due to efforts such as mine and that it helps their budget in some small part.

9. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Here you go, I've added it in the correct emphasis, you fearsome iconoclast you.

10. ajdown

We pay council tax, part of that is taking away my rubbish, so I don't see a problem.

I don't use schools yet I still pay for that; there's probably 90% of my council tax paying for things I have no need for, or see no need for, yet I don't get a discount for it so why can't they just reassign some money from that instead?

None of these policies will ever work anyway; it'll just encourage fly tipping and putting stuff in other people's bins so they needn't be too concerned.

Maybe a better way for the council to increase revenue is to actually chase the money they're already owed - council tax, rent etc that isn't being paid. I'm sure that's not insignificant in an area like Lambeth.

11. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

You don't use schools? Yes it is possible that you never received an education. However I doubt if you live your life without interacting with people who have benefited from being educated, and most of those will have been to a state school. Because you do not have the insight to 'see the need for' some of the services your council tax pays for does not mean that they are frivolous expenditure.

12. memespring

memespring Well-Known Member

I love the way this argument only works going forwards in time - presumedly you did go to school at some point? So try thinking about it as paying for your own, just much later.

The green argument for recycling aside, THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH HOLES IN THE GROUND LEFT TO BURY ALL THE CRAP WE THROW OUT, so we all need to be a bit grown up and play our part in solving that.

If this was a genuinely commercial transaction you'd probably find your pattern of behaviour was a very expensive one - you probably get quite a good deal at the moment, as the rest of us have to make up for you (especially if Lambeth were to get fined for not getting enough people to recycle).

Why should the rest have to pay for a few individuals who don't play their part?

catriona likes this.
  13. ajdown

I'm sure a lot more benefit would be made if people that manufactured stuff used less unnecessary packaging in the first place, make life a lot easier.

Use paper bags instead of plastic and it's much easier to just burn stuff like the good old days.

14. miss minnie

miss minnie Well-Known Member

Recyclable waste is worth money. Councils can make money by selling good quality, clean and sorted recyclable waste. If your local council makes money selling your waste then it seems to me that refusing to recycle seems to be shooting yourself in the foot.

15. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Any idea how to recycle printer cartridges? The Lambeth A-Z guide says to use the "reuse and recycling centres" but then the link takes you to a map of every recycling point in Lambeth. Do they mean you have to take it to Vale Street? Seems a bit OTT for a couple of cartridges.

16. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

Tesco on Acre Lane? I'm sure i've seen something there, either in-store or the bins outside.

17. Winot

Cheers will take a look.

18. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

You can normally download freepost labels from the manufacturer's website, then just post it back to them for recycling.

Winot likes this.
  19. Winot

You are right - recycling point inside the store for printer cartridges, batteries and light bulbs.

quimcunx likes this.
  20. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

ooh, lightbulbs. That's handy. :cool:

21. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

Croydon does this, also in a totally shit method.

1. They provide the worst bins imaginable for the recycling. They are too light, the lids don't lock on and they are tiny. Any windy morning you'll find the roads covered in recycling because the bins have blown down the road. I asked if I could buy cheap wheelie bins in the blue and green and use those. Sadly no. I know places where the recycling bin is a wheelie bin and works great. People need more than one bix and put bricks on the lids to hold them down - every once and a while you hear a bin man yelp as the brick lands on his foot.

2. Croydon also charges a yearly subscription for garden waste. Sharing it with your neighbour is a good idea.

I'd imagine waste collection is a big budget item for local councils so penny-pinching pays off.

22. Winot

Only energy saving ones though.

23. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.