Lambeth Fireworks in Brockwell Park, Sat 3rd Nov 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by snowy_again, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Southlondon

Southlondon The river's there for a reason

Can you imagine the public fury if there was a major incident and there were insufficient security staff in duty? The public’s fear of crime is rising, and for a lot of people visible security serves to reassure them

alcopop likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And what were these major-incident-preventing security staff searching for at the entrance? Knives? Weapons? No, booze. :facepalm:

Gramsci and aka like this.
  3. Southlondon

Southlondon The river's there for a reason

Isn’t that the same at most festivals? I also prefer events where I can lounge on the grass with a 4 pack I’ve bought in Tesco’s, but festivals either need to prevent alcohol being brought in to comply with licensing conditions, or to protect the revenue of traders who’s fees underwrite the cost of events

alcopop likes this.
  4. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

This is an absolute cracker.

editor likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Indeed. So why were you going on about the public's 'fear of crime' and 'major incidents' and the need to be 'reassured' when this was all about stopping people bringing in their own booze (and thus being compelled to be truly fleeced at £5 a can inside)?

Gramsci likes this.
  6. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

entered the competition for free tickets through the Buzz, didnt win but was offered 10% off a ticket. A very generous £1 discount then!

Went to Ally Pally which was much better than the Lambeth one. Had to pay to get in but managed to smuggle in plenty of cans of beer, so it all worked out quite well.

editor likes this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Totally agree with this. The random music just thundered out at horrendous volume and the display bore zero relevance to it. Nothing seemed to synchronise at all. I would have preferred to hear the sound of the fireworks myself.

I had no problem leaving via the Water Lane exit so you were given misleading information.

8. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

And yet from where I was (about 300m further back) it synched quite well - even the strangely sped up bits of Oasis! Maybe it didn't work so well closer up, but the big explosions did seem to time with the music. They spent a lot of money though - dwarfed the Burbage Road display (that started at 945, I guess to avoid clashing) and was almost as big as the display on the hurst street estate...

editor likes this.