Lambeth Fireworks in Brockwell Park, Sat 3rd Nov 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by snowy_again, Sep 3, 2018.

1. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Seems odd posting this in the summer thread, but I couldn't find the Fireworks thread from last year:

Lambeth Fireworks 2018

Same ticket thing, but x2 shows (one called Time Tunnel, which could prove confusing).

£10 adults, £5 children.

2. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

by Lambeth Fireworks
    just looking at the first page there it says £3.41 – £31.38 - odd prices?

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's the booking fees on top.

sealion likes this.
  4. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

I think the odd change is for the booking fee!

friendofdorothy likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci likes this.
  6. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Its not cheap.

The super early and early bird prices mean you have to buy weeks in advance.

7. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

they're expecting a lot of people judging by the number of portaloos.

8. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

At least it will be better organised than when it was free.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The feature and comp I ran on Buzz had a fair bit of traffic. Such a shame that the free event has gone forever. Those nights used to be a proper community event, enjoyed by all.

10. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

And yet their social media is still (perhaps intentionally terrible) - went on to their FB account yesterday to see when it was on. I was the sixth viewer of their headline promo film. Feels like they're intentionally running it into the ground.

11. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Sorry but that's rubbish.

Gramsci and editor like this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They've got rid of their 'Premier Viewing Platform' nonsense which is something. That was an awful idea.

13. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Was that just a financial spin off from having to provide better access for disabled people? I can't see any Mobiloo type provision, nor did I see any wheelchair accessible portaloos this morning.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've no idea. But it really wasn't worth the money (if I'd paid).

15. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

The last time that I went, which I think was the penultimate one before they started charging, was dangerously overcrowded.

16. pocketbear

pocketbear Well-Known Member

Do they normally shut off access to the whole of Brockwell Park ahead of the fireworks? Tried to take my dog for a quick afternoon walk in one of the sections of the park which hadn't been fenced off but was turned away at both the Lido and Brixton Water Lane gates, and told they weren't letting anyone into any part of the park, including the bits which aren't being used for the fireworks. This was around 4pm, so an hour before the doors for the fireworks were due to open and well before the normal closing time for the park itself.

I assume this is to stop people sneaking a peek at the display for free, but I'm pretty sure that in previous years you could use the unfenced areas of the park as usual during the afternoon. I haven't seen any information about the park as a whole being inaccessible ahead of the event, and found it a bit annoying. For all the criticism levelled at Field Day and others, at least they're clear about which bits of the park can be used as normal.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've got a free ticket if anyone is near by and wants to go

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It doesn't seem as busy as last year and they've cunningly split the display in half to maximise stall sales.

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

£5 a can of Stella. Lol.

Gramsci likes this.
  20. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

they've put an ad break in a firework display :D

editor likes this.
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The first display was pretty good though. 20181103_185627.jpg

Gramsci and madolesance like this.
  22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I miss the old free fireworks display when you could bring in booze and watch a huge bonfire.

Gramsci likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Wish the bloke from Heart radio would STFU.

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Really taking the piss now with car adverts on the screen and blaring across the park.

Gramsci likes this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Smick, trabuquera, Gramsci and 3 others like this.
  26. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

The music was what drove us away, my 3 y/o didn't like it that loud.
    He was fine with the fireworks bangs themselves, cordite smell, crowds etc but the sound engineers (assuming there was one) didn't get the levels right at all.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The annoying radio presenter bloke kept persuading people to get closer to the speakers and they were WAY louder than they were at the recent festivals.

28. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

Festivals employ proper production crew tho, and with live acts and DJs you need to ensure the PA is good enough for their demands, plus their sound techs are good (and monitored ruthlesslessly by council noise folks) so the mix is fine.

Suspect this event had the sound as the tertiary concern after pyro and crowd entry/security points. Might have even been lower down the list...

The fireworks themselves were great (we saw the first display) and bar/food/fairground offering was ok too.

Southlondon likes this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There was a LOT of security staff there too. Really kills what was left of the vibe.

30. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Fireworks were okay. The music (in the second session at least, didn’t attend the kiddies one) was shit, irrelevant, distracting and completely disjointed from the firework display. An unnecessary embarrassment that should be ditched.

I’ve seen displays where there clearly was a coreographed effort to sync the music to the pyrotechnics. Even the the type of music played is not to one’s taste, if it is synced to the fireworks it will work very well. Last night was literally a mixed tape of cheesy pop played over the fireworks with little or no effort to match one to the other. I’d rather have silence.

On a separate note, we were told we could not exit the fireworks fenced area or the park itself through anywhere other than by the Herne Hill station gate. As well as being a pain in the arse for anyone heading to either the Hootanani or Tulse Hill exits, this seemed an unnecessary h&s risk to take, with thousands of people bottlenecking the one gate left open in the park. If they are employing dozens of staff to steward the event, would a few more to man the South and West entrances be that much of a stretch?