Lambeth Country Show, Brockwell Park, Saturday 21 & Sunday 22 July 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 15, 2018.

1. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

Tricky Skills and editor like this.
  2. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Interesting I was chatting to someone I know who is married to someone who works at the Council - according to them, the massive cuts mean they don't have time to deal with all the FOI requests (some of which might be complex) as well as try to do their jobs (which are now more like 1.5 or 2 jobs since there are fewer staff)....I confess I had never thought about this. However, the pressure that staff are under now must surely mean that even more than ever that mistakes can be made or the council taken advantage of by contractors etc so perversely FOI requests are more important than ever before???

3. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

The People's Audit is more important than ever before.

editor, brixtonblade and sparkybird like this.
  4. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

so the reason for the fence is going on disorder in recent years, blaming the police for implementing it. This makes me even more annoyed because it seems its simply not true. If the Fair had genuinely been plagued with punch ups then i would actually begin to understand but from a viewpoint of someone who spends all day of both days in the thick of it there for several years now i have to say ive never seen even a hint of trouble, so i think we are been plain bullshitted to.

sw16er, Gramsci, ringo and 5 others like this.
  5. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Bovell will in all likelihood manage to make this listenable, because he really is a great musician and arranger, but the idea of these three knocking out a couple of their own hits then a medley of Marley/best of reggae covers is going to be excruciating. It'll probably go down really well.
    Glad I'll be away at a reggae festival.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You mean you missed the Great Phantom Fight of 2017?

7. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I saw them last week....they sing old hits along to backing tracks. It was shit.

editor and ringo like this.
  8. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

i think its important they are able to control how much we drink by having a challenge 25 operation at all the bars, oh and to pay £5.50 for a small can of 'craft beer'.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Whizzo! Full on brand synergy!

[​IMG]

Vita Coco Giant Slip N' Slide

10. lordnoise

lordnoise Well-Known Member

Lambeth Council thru Cllr Winifred railroaded us into the Field Day and Mighty Hoopla events. They totally ignored local feelings expressed at local meetings and totally ignored the best advice of the Friends of Brockwell Park.

Guess what ? Theyre doing it again ...

Putting a wall up around OUR Country Show fills me with so much anger. Not only do park users have to put up with more structures in an environment which has huge value precisely because its a structure free but Country show attendees will no longer have the ability to roam around Brockwell park in the spirit of the 'free' festival that is at the heart of Lambeth Country Shows ethos.

Via that wall we're also now concentrating tens of thousands of people in roughly the same area so badly damaged by Field Day and Mighty Hoopla as the the 'Friends' have pointed out.

Further its bullshit about LCS being a terrorist target - its a realtively minor event and well attended by ALL in our multi-ethnic community. Its also bullshit about there being more 'trouble' at last years show - I know because I'm a long standing nearby resident and have attended until late on most of the recent shows. If the authorities do have concerns then spend the money on extra policing NOT on the wall.

In my not very humble opinion the wall will lead to the Country Show being 'monetised' further down the line and its appearance this year is also no doubt designed to 'normalise' it in terms of future events including the LCS.

The horrible inhuman thing should be massively resisted next year at all costs

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Smick, sw16er, Tricky Skills and 2 others like this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I know quite a few people who have decided not to go this year because of the wall/intrusive searches/early last entrance. It's certainly really dampened my enthusiasm for what should be the highlight of the year in the area.

kalibuzz likes this.
  12. lordnoise

Although against Field Day/MH initially I was coming round to it after the reality of it. What do we locals get in return ? The walling in of our FREE (in every sense of the word) Country Show. The pure cheek and brass neck of the council and their represenatatives - I'm effing seething ...
    (hope you can you feel it !!! lol)

Gramsci likes this.
  13. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

This new orientation is bonkers.

There's a huge picnic area in the middle, but the main stage is pointing away from it. I assume the main stage bit is where the old funfair used to be. The village green is now right next to the playground, so that will impact badly on people visiting the playground but not visiting the country show. Before, the playground could carry on as normal, as the CS was right over the other side. The farm bit is now right next to the main road, which doesn't seem like a decent environment for the animals. There's no general public entrance on the south side, so anyone coming from Tulse Hill will have to hike all the way round the Great Wall to get in. It feels to me like it's going to be very cramped.

I was chatting to a cabby the other day and he was telling me about the two one-day dance festivals that are happening on Streatham Common the same weekend as the LCS. Apparently the grime one has been going for three or four years now. I'd never heard of them before. Are they walled-off affairs too?

ClaireR, Me76 and editor like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Kisstory on the Common (what a shit name!) is next week and the Once Dance Festival is the following Sunday. Both sold out ages ago. I think capacity for both is 10,000.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The park is looking nice.

2018-07-17_000327.jpg

(pic from FB)

16. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

I won't be going and I've been pretty much every year since 1993. It's always been a favourite event for me and my friends.

I was really looking forward to going as I've been away for so long but the fence will ruin the atmosphere. I saw it going up at the weekend and felt really sad.

ClaireR, sw16er and editor like this.
  17. pocketbear

pocketbear Well-Known Member

Spotted three different green buggies absolutely tearing around the park this morning, coming scarily close to hitting a jogger and a dog. Apparently they're event production rather than Lambeth, but doesn't fill me with confidence about the extent to which they've been briefed, or the rigour with which the site is being overseen.

Also the site is way bigger than Field Day or previous years of the LCS, and there's no information available about which paths are open or closed. Extremely telling that Lambeth appear to be taking far poorer care of the park for their own event than Field Day did.

ClaireR and editor like this.
  18. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

I'm staying at home and having a bbq instead. Fuck the wall and fuck lambeth :(

ClaireR likes this.
  19. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

So there's going to be queues to get in and the accessible entrance is not near transport (unless you drive)?

RubyToogood and snowy_again like this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

Yeah, the same weekend as LCS. Kisstory is the 21st, One Dance 22nd.

22. lordnoise

I'm not a big social media user so anyone got any email addresses I can aim some choice words at ?

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They never respond, but their contact details are on the top here: Lambeth Country Show

24. ClaireR

ClaireR Member

Have you seen what they have done to our Brockie park? 20++ miles of fencing put up for a FREE event! The cost of the fencing, putting it up, tearing it down, is this what their spending OUR council tax on. Fair enough fencing is needed for paid events, but not the country show. Talking with a copper in the park and "apparently" this has been done for "elf n safety" seriously??? God forbid if there was a terror incident, with all the fencing and set entry/exit points there would be a stampede / Hillsborough crush to get out.

The Country show "was" such a loved event, something that you looked forward too all year, being able to freely walk down there, get a few beers from Tesco, bring a picnic, come and go as you please, buy some plants, take them home, then freely come back for the tunes. Those days are gone unfortunately.

RIP the Country show

PS - To greedy Lambeth council, why not just make the show a paid event, that's what you want to do anyway, to fill the abyss in your finances caused by your years of squandering! Remember the stupid newsletter thingy they were putting through our doors a few years ago. From door mat straight to recycling bin!

TopCat, friendofdorothy and Casaubon like this.
  25. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

Perhaps it is not the county show, but the long-awaited and much-heralded first FEMA death camp?

Are they advertising vaccinations anywhere?

26. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

People do like to blame health & safety for stuff don't they?

How busy did it get last year? Can't say I'm keen on fencing off free events like this, but if there's genuine issues with crowd control I can understand why they choose to. Shame, but there it is.

alcopop likes this.
  27. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist

I'm still going to opt for choice A, but you never know :hmm:

28. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

It's blates a dress rehearsal for when they make it a fully paid for event.

Plumdaff, Gramsci, Smick and 2 others like this.
  29. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

It isn't blates that - all these kinds of public events are becoming fenced these days, and even more so since the terrorist attacks last summer - they need to do bag checks for weapons and bombs and suchlike. I'd be amazed if there's any similar events of any size going on this summer that aren't fenced.

Maggot and alcopop like this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus