Lambeth Country Show, Brockwell Park, Saturday 21 & Sunday 22 July 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 15, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's how long the fence will be up:

2. Southlondon

Southlondon The river's there for a reason

Last year they fenced off black pride in the Vauxhall pleasure gardens for the first time. There were brief bag checks at the entrances, but no queues, and nobody seemed to mind. It was still a great day, so it would be an awful shame if the friends of brockwell Park succeeded in scuppering the country show for the 10’s of thousands of people myself included, that enjoy the event every year. There are few events of this size that are free to attend, and in this instance the council should be applauded for keeping it going and free in these times of enforced austerity.

3. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

Indeed.

Thanks for the reassurance I wasn't going off on one :) I'm grateful for the effort you and others have put into this.

editor likes this.
  4. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

I doubt I'll be going. I usually go each day. One of the days is usually with a friend with mobility issues. I'm sure that he wouldn't want to have to queue. He'd find it exhausting and stressful. Though I will ask him what he thinks about it.

Gramsci likes this.
  5. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

Can anyone remember what they did last year? I know there was no wall but I have a vague recollection of having to cross the park one day it was on and there being queues and bag searches at Brockwell Gate.

6. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

Don't recall a queue but I think there were bag searches.

7. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

They started off trying to search people and stop alcohol being taken in, but they soon gave up...

Tricky Skills and editor like this.
  8. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Yeah I went in reasonably early on Saturday last year and they had a cursory look through my bag, but mates who came later didn't get checked at all.

9. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I think they are gonna get trouble on the gate, and it's not gonna be pretty....

Smick likes this.
  10. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

:(:mad:

This is exactly why there needs to be a proper risk assessment and crowd management plan. It is, or should be, for everyone, not just a tightly targetted audience. Unlike at FD there will be children and and a greater likelihood of people with disabilities and the elderly. And teenagers. There has to be proper provision.

Winot, Angellic, RubyToogood and 2 others like this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's how big the fence is going to be:

36189309_1790314754359419_6325384648205533184_o.jpg
    They're discouraging people from bringing a bag for ‘speed of entry’, but food and drink in sealed containers WILL be allowed.

12. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Am I right to say from that map that people not wanting to visit the event will not be able to walk through the park from the Tulse Hill end to the HH end (unless they take a massive detour towards the Brixton end of the park and then take a sharp right)?

As an aside, to anyone not very familiar to the area, that map gives the impression that Tulse Hill station is about 30 seconds walk from the park. A bit deceiving, that map...

editor likes this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It has the Miniature railway listed too, but that won't be running.

14. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

That fence is a waste of money, it's just gonna create problems.
    Also wonder why have they changed the orientation of the main arena ?

snowy_again likes this.
  15. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

The Village Green has been moved from the centre to the extreme north west of the site (presumably by the Cressingham Gardens entrance)?

16. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

The old set up meant the main arena was like a natural amphitheatre
    From that map it looks like it will be mostly on the flat now...

17. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

It's not big enough. Main stage is in wrong place. Reduced access points (all herne hill side - which will increase footfall through one entrance)

This is gonna get messy

18. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Green entrance and exit points (accessible only) - that would be the entrance I'd wanna use...

RubyToogood and Me76 like this.
  19. grosun

grosun wicket tunes

Similarly.. the entire thing seems to be set up assuming that everyone will be arriving from Brixton/HH direction, which is not the case.

20. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I am still going with the best intentions...

...to enjoy myself, for it to be lovely and to dance and have fun....

Smick and hungry_squirrel like this.
  21. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Bloody hell, more than half the park will be fenced off! And for what? I mean there's already a fence around the whole park, could they not just check at entrances like last time?

Me76, T & P and brixtonblade like this.
  22. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

I would normally enter and exit from the tulse hill end. Having to walk all the way round to the herne hill end which will be the busiest is going to be a ball ache. And puts me off going. But then I wonder whether that's what Lambeth want?

23. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

It would make much more sense and cost a lot less money. I get confiscating glass and having a security presence by park entrances to look out for potential troublemakers or people in a bit of a pickle, but not this shitshow they are proposing. Are they really going to search peoples bag for booze and other 'contraband', who are just going to watch some owls fly around?

sw16er likes this.
  24. Tracy Almond

Tracy Almond New Member

25. Tracy Almond

Tracy Almond New Member

Too late to postpone.

26. aka

aka Brixton Hill

who fucking proof read that flyer - sweet lordy - read the 3rd bullet point........

editor and grosun like this.
  27. grosun

grosun wicket tunes

Haha, to be fair I had to re-read it three times before I spotted the missing word. Brain autocorrect in full effect.

28. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

they're tweeting the T&Cs again - Lambeth Country Show but not answering people's questions via FB.

Are the FAQs updated: Lambeth Country Show there's some answers around the new security fencing etc. but that seems to state:

"The police have advised that a ‘serious risk to public safety’ was identified following the Lambeth Country Show in 2015 and 2016. This feedback being incorporated into planning 2017’s Lambeth Country Show, but the event still experienced disorder."

But no evidence other than that one random councillor?

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

He refused to answer my questions on Twitter and the FoI request has gone unanswered.

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus