Lambeth Country Show, Brockwell Park, Saturday 21 & Sunday 22 July 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 15, 2018.

1. sw16er

sw16er Active Member

WTF?!

2. sw16er

sw16er Active Member

Miss-Shelf and Gramsci like this.
  3. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

editor likes this.
  4. aka

aka Brixton Hill

Doubt *they* removed it (whoever *they* are) - more likely it's 1) health and safety or (best bet) 2) "we'd like £zillion for the rights to operate the funfair" preferred operator: "no thanks" - everyone else they approached: "no thanks".

sw16er, bimble and editor like this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Chucklehead are still "in discussions"....

6. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

"Lambeth Country Show announces no fun this year"

RubyToogood, Smick, rich! and 4 others like this.
  7. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Looking at the FAQ on website and by entering you give permission for your image to be used:

http://lambethcountryshow.co.uk/faqs/

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So they're trying to do what the Premiership does and hold a monopoly on all images taken at the festival. I doubt if they'll manage to stop people taking good quality cameras along though. It all gets a bit daft anyway because some compacts and phones can take 'professional' quality pictures.

Gramsci likes this.
  9. Gramsci

Also people may have to queue. That will be a first. How is that going to work?

10. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

I reckon loads of people won’t know about the changes and will pitch up same as they do every year with picnics and booze etc.

Unless there is a good policy (ignore it and let everybody in regardless) there will be chaos.

What a bunch of fucking idiots Lambeth council are.

Smick, sealion, Gramsci and 4 others like this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've asked them to clarify their position on photography

sw16er, Gramsci, grosun and 1 other person like this.
  12. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I find all this very frustrating. Not living in Lambeth any more, I still come down for the Country Show occasionally purely because it's casual and more a load of people in a park with interesting things happening around them. I can wander in and out when I like, look at some owls, take some pictures, buy some cider, just sit under a tree if I want... no pressure. But I'm not coming all the way down to Brixton to stand in a fucking queue to have my bag searched. Just doing that would ruin it for me; I'd be so annoyed by the time I got in that I'd want to leave again.

13. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I live only minutes away and use it in the same way. It could significantly change the character of the event. I've stopped dropping in to pubs like hootenanny because the queues and security make it a hassle to wander in and out.

Gramsci and FridgeMagnet like this.
  14. aka

aka Brixton Hill

Ah well.

Mr Retro likes this.
  15. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

We’re not going this year. We’ve come back from Amsterdam especially for it and to visit The Canterbury only a few years ago. All change.

16. aka

aka Brixton Hill

Think I'll organise my own festival and call it "Ah Lambeth, you keep voting these fuckers in"

Rushy, brixtonblade, Gramsci and 2 others like this.
  17. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

The days when festivals such as Gay Pride at Clapham Common attracted upwards of 100k people yet were free, fence-free, trouble-free and restrictions-free feel like a million years ago right now :(

18. rich!

rich! stalin tache

Can't see that being GDPR compliant :)

So that's Lambeth Council on the hook for fines starting at 4% of turnover...

snowy_again and Gramsci like this.
  19. Gramsci

I'm no expert but I was wondering this.

20. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

FWIW similar notices (the bit about consenting to be filmed by entering the area) are pretty common and i’ve seen plenty of them over the years from train stations to public parks.

I don’t have a problem with it either. Perhaps I’m naive but i’m pretty sure it’s just sensible legal protection against, say, someone spotting themselves amongst the crowds in Waterloo Station in The Bourne Ultimatum (for which the station remained open) and trying to sue the Studio for breach of copyright, privacy, a share of the box office takings or some other nonsense.

I rather doubt the new GDPR legislation will make any difference. Otherwise what’s stopping someone for suing companies and government agencies for being filmed on CCTV ?

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Ca
    I'm not so bothered by that than the prospect of being refused entry by some over-zealous security twat because my camera looks 'professional.'

22. Cold Harbour

Cold Harbour Well-Known Member

The rush to leave when they shut it down on the dot might cause issues if the gates are closed and/or narrow? Presumably they will have thought of that though (hopefully)?

23. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

That I completely agree with, and I must say I don’t remember seeing similar warnings on the notices i’ve Seen warning about filming taking place.

I’m practice I don’t think (or I least I hope not) they’d be such arseholes as to query anyone who came with anything smaller than a shoulder-mounted massive professional camera a la live news TV crew. But I guess you never know. Have they answered your question about it?

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've only ever seen it at higher league football grounds and at bigger gigs where they want to control who gets to take the pictures. It's very rare to public fairs and events like this.
    Nope. But they have form for ignoring questions. I've asked them again, this time via the Buzz account.

25. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Well-Known Member

It'll be an equestrian show next year.

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's another unanswered question:

27. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I'm considering not coming now

28. nagapie

nagapie Well-Known Member

I don't want to go. My kids only put up with it because of the fun fair and we bribe them to stay after that. If there's any decent music on Sunday afternoon I'll get a baby sitter and wander down.

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've just sent Lambeth a long email asking them to clarify their new rules. If they don't respond by tonight, I'll publish it as an open letter on Buzz.

I've messaged them via email, web form and FB.

grosun and shakespearegirl like this.
  30. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

You are allowed to bring your own food in.