Lambeth Country Show, Brockwell Park, Saturday 21 & Sunday 22 July 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 15, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Without going all woowoo conspiraloon here, I'm wondering why a Labour councillor is spinning such blatant bollocks about the Country Show?

sw16er likes this.
  2. sw16er

sw16er Well-Known Member

Oh I am with you ED. An hour long pitched battle between youths and Police yet nobody who was there saw it?! LMAO :D

I don't know why the Councillor doesn't tell us the REAL reasons why they are making changes and not some fabricated story that is absolutely ridiculous.

editor likes this.
  3. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

Could it, perhaps, be about increased revenue?

Personally I'm never going to it again. Fuck this council.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    editor likes this.
  4. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

I've contacted Cllr Seedat to ask for clarification.

I don't think it's breaking his confidence by posting the reply to a private message. It will certainly help to clarify the process, if not the issue:

"I only have the confidential briefing from last year and I've requested a public one that is shareable so hoping to have that asap. I think the Met need to approve it etc so probably will take a few days I imagine."

5. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

That incident where the cops rounded up a load of gangs in Herne Hill and moved them off in buses was years ago.

The last couple of years have been very chilled, and I stayed to the end on both days...

6. Are Lambeth intending to fence off all of the park for the LCS? If not, I propose we set up a rival festival outside the perimeter. We should actively encourage all who cannot afford craft ales and artisan Gloucester Old Spot sausage rolls to attend. Also we should refuse entry to anyone not in possession of booze, food, deckchairs etc. (excluding children, of course). That's catering sorted - but any ideas for entertainment?

7. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

Pissed up pitched battles with the cops? That's my favourite part of the show in fact. every year.

Miss-Shelf and editor like this.
  8. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

There used to be the occasional postcode youth fracas didn't there? Remember Dulwich Road being one of the hot spots, and the bus fight. But that was more than 4 years ago.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Hmm. Why would the Met try to hide what was supposedly an hour-long mass pitched battle with bottles being lobbed and serious violence taking place in a public park? And why was this monster incident not seen or recorded by anyone?

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Me too and I saw nothing to fit the description the councillor is peddling.

11. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

It’s also really really costly to organise, what paperwork do you accept, how do you do this for minors, how do you know who minors are, etc, etc.

Alex

RubyToogood likes this.
  12. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

That’s an easy foi to Lambeth surely? Reads like he’s said something wrong and stupid but is now too deep in the lie to back out.

13. aka

aka Brixton Hill

de facto modus operandi ad infinitum

14. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

It’s all Greek to me.

aka likes this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

grosun, Tricky Skills and Gramsci like this.
  16. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

Ive never seen so much as a sniff of trouble, everyone seems to get along which is one of the great things about it.

It does get a bit cat and mouse with the mounted police when they are trying to clear the park and you just wanna sit on the grass and finish up your beers but its hardly a public order issue!

Gramsci and editor like this.
  17. Tricky Skills

18. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

If it's anything like last year, the bag-searching will actually cause low-end ASB, because people don't get enough pre-warning of it, and then have to consume their illegals in one go, thus spending the next few hours wandering around the LCS off of their faces.

madolesance likes this.
  19. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Members of Aswad have just been confirmed as playing!

(And Cymande, which is a bit better).

Smick, sw16er and RubyToogood like this.
  20. Tricky Skills

This is going to end well, isn't it? :p

21. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Meta innit.

Looking forward to cymande - bumped into them when they were very stoned in an Exeter rehearsal studio last year. Watching them trying to remember the hits was a bit of a privilege

colacubes and Tricky Skills like this.
  22. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

If Aswad ever did a Live & Direct 83 set, I'd be a very happy gal tbh :cool:

ringo likes this.
  23. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I'm genuinely concerned for the Country Show this year. I think people who don't have much disposable income may avoid it altogether if they can't afford to eat/drink inside. Prices are high, and I am worried for families that would have come along with their own picnic prepared, and now face a community event that they will feel priced out of...

I think the freedom to come and go will feel more restricted through fixed access and egress points.

I wonder if they'll have to relax the rules if people start showing up with food and drink, which they had to do last year.

I suspect there will be a lot of tension at those entrances. Hope security remain sensible.

Winot, sw16er, Tricky Skills and 3 others like this.
  24. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Woman beater Brinsley.

Bovell, Forde and Hinds are playing together I think...watched a clip of them from One Love in 2016. Can't say I'm inspired.

25. sw16er

sw16er Well-Known Member

Cymande? The old Brit Funk group? Ah man...I didn't plan to go to the Country Show this year due to this new policy of not bringing your own food and drinks in but I am seriously tempted now that Cymande have been confirmed....Aswad are a blast from the past too....reminds me of my youth!

26. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

Hopefully, the new restrictions are completely ignored and everyone turns up laden with food and drink as usual. They will be under too much pressure to then enforce this madness.

Gramsci, tim, Nanker Phelge and 3 others like this.
  27. sw16er

sw16er Well-Known Member

I'm in the category of being priced out. Whilst I don't class myself as living on the bread line....there is absolutely no way I can afford to feed and drink my 2 kids in addition to myself and my wife at the Country Show this year.

Not only that, but I always set aside a bit of money to pay for my kids to go on the funfair rides.

I honestly don't understand this "bring no food / drink policy", it's not like the food stalls are cheap at the Country Show, the prices are high. How on earth do Lambeth think less privileged families are going to be able to manage this expense? It's not like families can wander in and out at will, I certainly wouldn't be able to do that with my kids.

From a principled point of view this policy is just wrong on all levels IMO.

RubyToogood, Gramsci, tim and 3 others like this.
  28. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I've heard there is no fun fair this year.

29. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

Blimey - it's like they're deliberately trying to fuck it up

RubyToogood, Smick and sw16er like this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

sw16er likes this.