Lambeth Country Show, Brockwell Park, Saturday 21 & Sunday 22 July 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 15, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Terrorists aren't interested in that one, apparently, so no fence required.

sealion likes this.
  2. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Don’t calm down then, I was worried about your blood pressure.

3. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

And I suspect a lot of people in the borough would prefer £350k be spent on an open to all resident event
    I suspect a lot of people in the borough would rather keep this relatively cheap event that promotes social interaction and cohesion between all residents, rich - poor - young - old and stop the council wasting money in the way it currently does in many other areas. Take a look at the people's audit for some examples.

salem, Gramsci and editor like this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

OK, I've had enough of this disruptive bullshit and childish digs at my health. Take a week off this thread.

5. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Lambeths own data

http://lambethcountryshow.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/LCS-2017-Visitor-Survey-Results.pdf

58% of attendees from out of borough.

I suspect too attract traders they need the people you object to.

Alex

6. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

It was a couple of weeks ago. Full of people lugging in cool boxes and setting up camp under the trees for an all day picnic :thumbs:. No trouble , not a huge police presence...certainly seems less every year. Banning dogs a few years ago knocked a lot of the trouble on it's head. Always a great day out and usually the weather is fabulous.

brixtonblade and editor like this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Why are you quoting facts everyone already knows? We've already discussed this.

Do you think it's a good thing that Lambeth's marketing had led to nearly two thirds of visitors coming from outside of the borough, bigger crowds and the changes this year?

8. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I suspect their efforts to make more money involve promising a lot of high spending visitors.

Including ‘gramming youths.

Alex

9. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Weren't me i've tried to stay out of this one. Not totally relevant but just read on Lambeth's website that council tax from us residents only makes up 27% of the council's money, the rest is from central government. Which as everyone knows has been cut by more than half since 2010.

CH1 likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Seems to have backfired horrendously seeing as it's resulted in the having to pay hundreds of thousands of pounds to erect a fuck-off fence and brings in a big security team. Shame you won't answer my question directly, mind.

11. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I still don't understand why they did all of that.

12. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I think it’s potentially ridiculous that if it’s cost more money to not raise more money.

Alex

alcopop likes this.
  13. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Think that was quimcunx actually!

snowy_again likes this.
  14. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

On what basis do you suspect most people would think this?

As someone whose been volunteering to keep kids playground open I don't think this.

editor likes this.
  15. Gramsci

Have you seen the FOI answer from Met? Been looking online and FB but can't find the FOI request.

16. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

I haven’t seen the foi, just copying from the FB group

17. Gramsci

Why I tried to find it. FB is ok but not 100% reliable.

I tried the what you know website.

Anyone else seen the actual FOI reply from Met?

18. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

As an update: my request for an internal review over the decision not to publish the minutes of the 2017 de-breifing meeting has also been dismissed by Lambeth Council.

I have now sent the case to the Information Commissioner.

CH1, RubyToogood, Casaubon and 5 others like this.
  19. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I went to Leicester Caribbean Carnival at the weekend, and the 'Carnival Village' in Victoria Park is also now a fenced off, security managed, no alcohol event.

The organisers were honest about the alcohol issue, stating they had to support the vendor inside the event (a small local business which had been a long term supported or the carnival), so I can live with that as an explanation, even if I don't like it. At least they didn't cite anti-social behaviour as the reason.

Security were rude dicks to a lot of people, and stopped a lot of families from bringing in picnics etc, and being quite aggressive about it too. If they applied the same passion for stopping knives getting in then they may have avoided the three stabbings that occured.

Lots of people were upset about the fence. Apparently in days gone by people would drive up onto the park, picnic around their cars, play music etc, and this has now been replaced by queues, security, a metal detector, and a £4 entry fee.

There were 4 bars inside, and these were run in a very 'relaxed' way...which resulted in massive queues, and the beer ran out at 5pm (the event went on 'til 8pm)

It was 6 cans (of fosters!!!) for £20.

Anyway, it all felt a bit flat, apart from the Abi Shanti Sound system (which was the loudest and most bass heavy I have heard in years), there was lots of food stalls, but not much else actually celebrating or representing the Caribbean people and cultures.

If the country show continues down this route, then it'll have all it's original charm and character stripped away.

Gramsci and Tricky Skills like this.
  20. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Caught Aba at Leicester two years back and the fence was already up then.

21. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

What was security like?

22. ska invita

Queues were long unless you had tickets in advance,... Didn't know you need tickets so joined a looong queue, and then someone gave us free tickets they didn't want and we breezed in with no search!

Aba didn't start playing till about 3.30 as security wouldn't let him in supposedly! He'd come in on a flight from playing France but the rest of the crew were in and set up.

So yeah, it's a shit show.

Worth it for Aba though... Great session with nice amount of space and good crowd in a picturesque setting

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  23. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

He was great on Saturday..and I had a fun afternoon actually, had some amazing food. Then went off to the Donkey which had another Sound System in their yard.

ska invita likes this.
  24. ska invita

Sounds good!
    Theres a spot in Leicester called Music Cafe that has regular sound system events and I think Aba plays there after too, but Im usually burnt out for after parties (i know you can relate ;) ), especially after a full day in the sun.

25. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Yeah, he did play, but christ knows what time it would have been...I was tucked up in bed by midnight..

I've been to the Music Cafe a few times...

ska invita likes this.
  26. Gramsci

As much as I appreciate some people went to LCS for music I never did.

If Lambeth want to turn it into fenced , security gaurded, no bring booze music festival people may have to pay for they should tell us that.

I went to Country show because it was community based country show not the music.

I liked seeing the animals. I liked watching the sheep shearing. I liked sauntering around the stalls.

I liked the fact that it was open event in the park. It worked well.

I never saw much trouble that needed security guards brought down from Scotland.

Looks to me that Coop Council have destroyed it

27. ClaireR

ClaireR Member

WOW, so the FOI showed that neither the Met or the insurers required the fence! (But that's not really so surprising I guess)

We need to start some sort of "Save Our Show" petition NOW. Before the council have set in stone plans any for next year. If there are enough signatures they will have to at least listen to the people's feelings, surely? But how to organise this? Any ideas Editor? There's so many different groups involved, from Friends of Brockwell Park, to the poor people who's memorial benches were effected, local residents etc. Are there even any local councillors on "our" side? I'd happily go out with me clipboard, collecting signatures either in the park or at the tube, but we need some sort of social media group campaign to get a proper petition thing really going.

Actions speak louder than words.

LCS, there's dirty dealing going on here, big time! The whole thing stinks BAD. They got away with underhanded tactics n lies this year, but this shouldn’t set the precedent.

A question to ponder.

Why was Tulse Hill Tesco shut over the show weekend? Apparently for refurb, WOT, on what woulda, shoulda, coulda been one of their busiest weekends of the whole year??? So Tesco's knew about the fence/alcohol ban long time before then! It would be also very, very interesting to get a survey of how local businesses n shops were affected. (Get them on board with the petition too)

No fence / No charge
    Bring back the fun fair
    Reinstate the show layout that was tried n tested and worked i.e. main stage position
    Employ locals / Londoner's as staff
    Organise more local volunteers to help with show set up / clean up to keep costs down
    If finances are that are that bad, maybe consider making it a biennial event

BUT most important, give us our show back!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Miss-Shelf, sealion and editor like this.
  28. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

i always suspected that guff on the website was bollocks, but now i know my hunch was right, im even more annoyed. Why do they just outright lie about it? Id far prefer they just came out and said "look, we need some money to be able to put this bugger on, and the way we have decided to do so is not let you have your own booze and buy it from the bar instead".

editor likes this.
  29. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin Banned

Got a link to the FOI? Can't seem to find it.

30. ClaireR

ClaireR Member

No science is required for the purpose of establishing such truths; no rules of art can render our knowledge of them more certain than it is in itself. There is no logic for this portion of our knowledge.