Lambeth Country Show, Brockwell Park, Saturday 21 & Sunday 22 July 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 15, 2018.

1. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

From the Brockwell Tranquility FB Group:

Oh dear, ...it seems lambeth have been telling porkies. I have just received a reply to an FOI request made to the Met Police.
    At no point did the Met Police refuse to police LCS if a perimeter fence was not used. Also, the Met Police did not insist or even demand that a perimeter fence be used, but did mention that the perimeter could be made more secure as it was found to be "porous". The wall was only mentioned as an option amongst other options to resolve this.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well oh well oh well. Things are going to get more interesting. Going to take a look at the FoI shortly.

3. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

I hope things get a lot more interesting as a result of this. Always thought it sounded odd, along with the 'refusal of insurance' without a wall..

Gramsci likes this.
  4. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

How can you let shit like that even bother you?

SpamMisery likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Because I care about the show? Because I don't want what was one of the best parts of the show - and something that anyone could have a go at - turned into an Instagram prestige showcase?

6. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Why shouldn’t other people enjoy the show ?

7. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that this part of the show has been on twitter since twitter began.

Alex

8. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Posh people aren’t allowed in Brixton, silly !

And they definitely allowed to have fun !

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Still can't see the word Twitter in my post anywhere. What are you on about?

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You're all for charging people, aren't you? Fuck the poor, eh?

11. alcopop

But they are NOT allowed to have fun with vegetables!!!

12. alcopop

Yep, that’s exactly what I said.

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So you've never suggested introducing charging? Because that would directly lead to a lot of poor people being excluded.

Oh wait. Here you are. Wanting to price out the poor. Make 'em pay! Its the 'fair' way!

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I could suggest some excellent ways they could have fun with vegetables.

15. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I assume you mean social media in general or is it instagram you have an issue with ?

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

:facepalm:

17. alcopop

pop said:
    I’d say £2 for Lambeth residents
    £5 for non Lambeth residents

That’s what I said!

Cannot for the life of me see how you get “FUCK THE POOR” out of that!

Have you been out on the sun?

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Because declaring it 'fair' to start charging poor people to get into what has been for a free event for 44 years adds up to a big 'fuck you.'

Why do you think it's 'fair' to suddenly start charging for something that has been free for over four decades?

You may be doing nicely for yourself, but there is real poverty in Lambeth and an entrance fee - on top of the already bloated drink prices - means the show will become out of reach for some. Something that doesn't seem to bother you.

Oh and fuck off with your pathetic 'been out in the sun' slur. You posted up that charging people for a free event is 'fair,' and no amount of insults is going to get you off that hook.

Gramsci likes this.
  19. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

It's not free - it's paid for by Council Tax - so we're all already paying for it - that's already been covered above (Bimble maybe?) by saying that a profit & loss approach isn't the right way to view it.

Gramsci and editor like this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Indeed. But some still insist that we should pay for it all over again :facepalm:

Gramsci likes this.
  21. alcopop

Calm down.

22. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    SpamMisery likes this.
  23. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I suspect most people in the borough would rather have 350k spent on libraries or social care or kids playgrounds than something where 50% of the attendees are from out of the borough.

Alex

24. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

So is your issue with people who who don't pay council tax in lambath, . or "nu-brixtonites" who do ?

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

My issue is with turning a traditional, affordable, inclusive, free community-wide event into an exclusive, expensive paid one.

sealion, Gramsci and Smick like this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And why do you think so many people now come from out of the borough? Do you think Lambeth advertising the event far and wide across London may have played a part in that? I heard that it was even advertised in Brighton, FFS.

And don't get me started on libraries and council spending. They seem to have plenty of cash for turning Carnegie into a rent-free private gym.

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Then apologise. Now.

28. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

Lewisham People's Day is still free, well attended and bring in your own booze. Hoping it doesn't go the same way as neighbouring Lambeth :hmm: .

CH1, sealion and editor like this.
  29. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

I've never been When is it?

30. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Think it was a couple of weeks ago.

brixtonblade and clicker like this.