1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lambeth Council top dogs award themselves wage rises as more staff are made redundant

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 4, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's what a co-operative council looks like:

Lambeth Council senior staff wage bill rises as more staff are made redundant – latest findings from The People’s Audit

Gramsci likes this.
  2. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Not sure if you picked up on the council meeting held to approve a possible £100 million loan/settlement for Survivors of Shirley Oaks and other Lambeth Children's Homes.

Actually I'm intrigued about the idea of the council borrowing millions of pounds when it gets in a hole, because this happened once before in 1986. At the fag-end of the Red Ted Knight administration there was a sudden need to find £50 million because no cuts had been made and there was a £50 million funding gap.

I'm currently researching this 1986 LAMSAT issue, where Lambeth Council (or four representatives thereof) set up an off-balance sheet company called Lamsat Limited and proceeded to mortgage the Town Hall and Mary Seacole House in order to raise the £50 million from the Allied Irish Bank.

3. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

I had an argument with a Lambeth Cllr last week, after she claimed that Knight's administration left Lambeth "nearly a billion pounds in debt". She was most put out when I corrected her that while Knight's administration did leave Lambeth more than £50 million in debt, the real culprits came later, with Poll Tax non-collection during and after the Twelves administration, and some very ropey investments that didn't pan out (IIRC, Hammersmith & Fulham, and the Church Commissioners were caught out with the same ropey investments).

CH1 likes this.
  4. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I was told that Lambeth DIDN'T get caught out by the Interest Rate swaps in the late 1980s
    Mind you Hammersmith & Fulham certainly did see this Wiki article: Hazell v Hammersmith and Fulham LBC - Wikipedia

You are absolutely right about failure to collect the Poll Tax. If I remember aright Joan Twelves made it Labour group policy - which is probably why they had to dispense with her services and have the more "moderate" and certainly politically clever Stephen Whalley.

This clip may be of interest - the only one I've seen of Council Leader Dick Sorabji (who seems to have succeeded Linda Bellos). The clip is apparently dated 6 December 1988. Sorabji's remarks are framed by the ever-eloquent Ted Knight - still clearly active behind the scenes.

5. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

All the above posts is why I'm in mixed minds about the "people's audit".

I'm im sympathy with Ted Knight and Joan Twelves. Capitalism is pretty crap.

Personally I'd prefer the audit commission be brought back. A quango.

I can understand why a previous hard left Council brought in rather unusual accounting measures. Is that so bad in hindsight?

Look at the present recent crisis if Capitalism. The financial sector fucked up big time. The state stepped in with the most unorthodox ( according to "free market" ideology , measures.) What was quantitative easing? It definitely wasnt about "creative destruction" .Was in any worse than what Ted Knight and Twelves did? At least they are trying to stick up for the working class. Quantitative easing was just for the bankers.

Capitalism isn't about "balancing the books" or the Thatcherite we can't spend more than we earn. Which was always directed at the middle class and working class not the rich.

6. ViolentPanda

The People's Audit shouldn't be necessary, in an ideal world. However, Lambeth is in a hole partly BECAUSE previous financial chicanery, ignorance and "sweeping under the carpet" has gone on, and if it takes a body like The People's Audit to expose this, and shed some light on it, then I'm all for it.

Won't happen though, as it's not a Corbo priority, and it's anathema to the Tories.

It isn't, but they didn't, they worked within the law to balance the books, using standard accounting measures used by govts. :)

What Knight did was permissible. Setting up "off the balance sheet" companies to remove debt into private vehicles is almost as old as civic budgets, and has been a well-established practice in business since the 60s at least. What the state has done required the state to legislate to make "quantitative easing" and other bail-out modalities permissible. Knight was legally correct, the state had to legislate to make what they were doing legally correct.

Thatcherites only ever preached "we can't spend more than we earn". They never EVER practiced it.

Gramsci likes this.
  7. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

Aren't there elections this coming May? Are there any serious alternatives out there?

8. ViolentPanda

There's a fair bit of chatter about the Green Party standing candidates, and Lambeth Labour local branches - plus the three constituency parties - have been talking about "the Green threat" for a couple of years now (it's great having "old Labour" friends in the locals, who are happy to spill about the dominant Blairites!).
    Myself, I'm voting Green, not least because Scott Ainslie (Green Cllr) has been a good friend to Cressingham Gardens estate, while our own Cllrs have distanced themselves from us, and in the case of two of them, have actively shat on us (same with Gipsy Hill ward and Central Hill estate, and the other estates being regenerated and their Cllrs).

Lambeth Labour have used their overwhelming majority to ram through some of the nastiest anti-resident (by which I mean the majority of Lambeth's current residents) shit imaginable. They've also lied about involvement in smashing local businesses (Tricky Skills dug up details that proved that Cllr Hopkins had been in contact with Network Rail months before he had claimed, IIRC), and (ongoing) about what is happening with Lambeth's libraries. They're also now attempting to lumber future generations of Council Tax payers with the bill for compensation (£100 million or more, to be borrowed from the Public Works Loans Board, and for fuck's sake don't ask about municipal insurance!) for children in care abused over the past half century in the borough, and for their ill thought-out estate regeneration scheme (£20 million+ from the PWLB to facilitate buy-backs from leaseholders before the Compulsory Purchase stage is reached). All of this shit could have been avoided or allowed for by a council that could actually plan worth a fuck, and who who weren't so complacent about re-election, but these twats think they can continue to rely on the usual "traditional" Labour voter. Perhaps if some of them, especially cabinet members, actually did fuck all in their wards, they'd have some idea how angry people are.

Gramsci, Tricky Skills and Slo-mo like this.
  9. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

The Greens finished second in the popular vote last time, but they were an awful long way back.

Lambeth has produced some massive swings in the past though.

10. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I was chatting to a Labour party member recently. Turns out that ordinary Labour party members in Lambeth often vote Green party at local elections. They of course don't tell the party they do this. The reason given to me is that many ordinary Labour members can't stomach the Blairite / Progress Cllrs in Lambeth. If it's a General election they get out to support the party. If it's local election they won't.

Tricky Skills and Slo-mo like this.