1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lambeth Council records found in unlocked storage

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by lefteri, Jul 29, 2017.

1. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere

Hundreds of sensitive council documents found in London estate - BBC News

A load of council records discovered dumped in an unlocked estate storage unit in Clapham - the article suggests they may include records relating to the Shirley Oaks child abuse case which could mean that they were dumped as part of a cover up.

2. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Bloody Nora. This is huge.

Pickman's model likes this.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

It's lucky they were found at all

lefteri likes this.
  4. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Lambeth Council investigates its own cover up?
    :hmm:

5. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

Yeah the article doesn't say who found them and how which would seem to be an important part of the story

6. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I saw this reported a few days ago on local BBC news. I think they said it was initially reported by someone who lives on the estate as a potential fire risk, but when he looked further he realised how sensitive some of the stuff was and then got in touch with the BBC.

Pickman's model and lefteri like this.
  7. shygirl

shygirl Well-Known Member

Will the documents be safe now that they're once again in Lambeth's possession?

8. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

No. A new period of danger has begun

Dan U and shygirl like this.
  9. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

If a killer dropped the murder weapon close to the crime scene, then picked it up the following day, would they hand it in to the cops?

10. shygirl

shygirl Well-Known Member

If only the bloke who found them took a bit more time and called in Clive Driscoll and the Shirley Oaks Group before alerting the police. Guess it would be a very risky strategy, but its what I'd be tempted to do. They'll fucking bury it again.

11. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Surely if Lambeth had wanted to destroy evidence in the first place they'd have shredded it?

bimble likes this.
  12. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

Yep. it's hard sometimes but i think in the case of Lambeth it's usually correct to apply what they call hanlans razor - ie. Don't assume malice when a thing can be explained by stupidity.

CH1 likes this.
  13. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam 'He bloody well thinks he's staff!'

Local authorities being shit at Data protection is not uncommon.

14. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

"secure" location

15. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

muscovyduck, MadeInBedlam and Gramsci like this.
  16. MadeInBedlam

'Data protection' is a fucking joke.

Whenever as a mental health service user I've expressed concern about the security of my confidential info, always get fobbed off (or shouted at).

Gramsci likes this.
  17. Ro White

Ro White New Member

Try looking on Shirley Oaks Survivors Facebook site - all explained - the BBC gave Lambeth the files back and time to relocate them before they released the news that they were even found!

Check out Search

Voice your opinions and concerns there also.

18. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Thanks for posting - did not see the original TV report.

Lambeth Council's statement to the BBC seemed to be only concerned to deny that the apparently discarded records contained any papers relating to residents of the children's homes in the 1980s and 1990s.
    That leaves wide open what other personal records might be there - and why they were dumped without shredding or put in insecure storage.

19. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

I've just learnt of another serious breach of data security by Lambeth, at the adventure playground i'm helping to try to save:
    Piles & piles of paperwork incl names ages addresses of the children who used to come and play here back when Lambeth funded such things, all this paperwork left abandoned in the building when it was shut over 2 years ago.
    Building since squatted twice & then occupied by 'guardians' , paperwork just left there the whole time. Have just alerted the council to this and they say they'll rush over and dispose of the stuff, two years on.

Gramsci likes this.
  20. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Lambeth have a long and ignoble record of shifting hard copy around various sites until they can dispose of it. This happened back in the '80s and '90s too - all sorts of weird "storage" sites used, including void flats on estates - and was often what one might call "contentious" records that indicated officer and/or councillor bad behavior, mixed in with stuff like copies of tenancy agreements, and HB forms.

21. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Local authorities being shit at the protection of data pertaining to residents is not uncommon. Local authorities being shit at the protection of data pertaining to councillors and/or council officers is almost unheard-of.

Odd, that.

RoyReed likes this.
  22. MadeInBedlam

Quite