1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lambeth Council considering moving Lambeth Archives from Minet Library to Brixton Library

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

That interesting. May be worth challenging them on this. Make contracts so LLW is paid.

Pickman's model and Greebo like this.
  2. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

From what I can make out - although I'm not a tax accountant - GLL donating to BCA can be written off by GLL against tax. Therefore, they not only ease Lambeth Council's self-made problem of cutting funding to BCA, they also get themselves a nice tax break for the donation.
    And, as you say, it makes them look cuddly, and some people will actually buy that line. :(

That's not what I keep hearing, which is more along the lines (to paraphrase Muttley of "Wacky Races" fame) of "rassn, frassn Dick Dastardly Brad Carroll, rassn frassn Brixton useless rassn frassn Green".
    And that's from people who like them! :)

As I've said before, they're placed there deliberately as a mediatory layer, to defuse and diffuse anger from reaching those it's directed at, and to place a remove between statutory authorities and their responsibilities.
    We both know how little Lambeth Council actually support an active resident base, and you're spot-on about this being part of the neoliberal paradigm. It's the semblance of service-user participation, mediated by people who are in the pocket of power, not working for the people,

3. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Could be difficult to impose paying LLW as a condition of contract, in terms of making sure it was actually paid. The council would also plead that it'd also raise costs at a time when they can't afford rising costs (except perhaps in cabinet allowances and senior officer salaries).

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Went to a function at Lambeth Palace Library last night. They are mounting an exhibition, and the senior librarian will be giving a talk at the Lambeth Archives Open Day on Staurday 3rd Sept:

3 September, 11.45am - 12.30pm, Michael Church, 131 Burton Road, SW9 6TG

A Monument of Fame: Lambeth Palace Library's Collections and Work

A talk by Hugh Cahill, Senior Librarian, giving an overview of the Library's rich and varied holdings and of the Library's work. This talk forms part of a series of talks on local topics as part of Lambeth Archives' Open Day.

Free entry. No booking necessary.

Gramsci and Greebo like this.
  6. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Just wanted to add that at the Lambeth Palace Library preview Helen Hayes MP turned up (Chuka and Kate were otherwise engaged apparently).

More interesting to me was hearing a carefully prepared address by Cllr Sonia Winifred who it turns out is in charge of a working party regarding the moving of the Lambeth Archives.

She did not deal with this issue, as the function was actually to do with Lambeth Palace, but nevertheless I was impressed that she obviously a person who researches issues, notices nuances and puts things in a considered and constructive way.

Let us hope she has a good influence on the process of finding the right home for the Lambeth archives, and that the powers that be in Cabinet take notice of what she comes up with.

editor, Gramsci and Greebo like this.
  7. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Shamefully (because of my connections), I knew nothing of this, which goes to show how important libraries are :mad:

Pickman's model likes this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci likes this.