1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lambeth Council considering moving Lambeth Archives from Minet Library to Brixton Library

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I have heard that as well. She has had a lot of opposition to the library closures.

I think it was a mistake to put leisure centres, parks and libraries together in one consultation.

The Brixton Rec Users Group committee response to the consultation is now online

Greebo and Tricky Skills like this.
  2. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

The BRUG response is concise and apt.

Regarding your point about lumping together all the amenity services -surely the point is the council has always considered them as related budget areas - and this consultation seems a bit of an elimination race.

I noticed that at their AGM Friends of Carnegie Library were not staking a claim to the Archives - which might have given them a reprieve - on the grounds they wanted to show solidarity with Minet campaigners.

Interesting moral territory. United we stand, divided we fall. Alternative view: if no-one is prepared to countenance the massive cuts the council seems to have in store, then the council will do it their way anyway.

Gramsci likes this.
  3. Gramsci

Thanks glad u think response is ok.

The way the budget works for leisure services is quite different to libraries and parks. There is income from the leisure centres.

IMO a separate consultation on libraries would have been a better idea as its so controversial.

CH1 likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

kittyP, Gramsci, equationgirl and 4 others like this.
  5. equationgirl

equationgirl Do you believe you can walk on water?

Looks like a lovely library editor

6. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

8. pros

pros Well-Known Member

it would appear the same bunch of language criminals 'operate in the area'. in southwark, an orchard was being 'enhanced' by destruction and transformation into a non-orchard (ironically, the reason this orchard had to go was for a 'state-of-the-art' library, opening any day soon although it's really as far from 'art' as it gets); here you've got 'diversifying the use of library buildings'. ffs (x8759349827)

editor likes this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci, Tropi, Greebo and 1 other person like this.
  10. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 11.54.37.png
    Tonight!

11. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

They were marching up or down South Lambeth Road earlier.

12. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

not up and down?

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

14. bimble

brilliant.
    [​IMG]:)

Greebo and Belushi like this.
  15. Gramsci

The Council got around tendering by adding the library/gyms to the existing contract with that GLL has with Lambeth to run the Leisure Centres like Brixton Rec. The Council is diverting some funds from the existing Leisure Centres to start the Library/ Gyms.

Gyms are a big money maker for GLL. The Brixton Rec gym membership is imo quite expensive.The same or more than some private gyms.

Something Brixton Rec Users Group committee have taken up with the Council. The cost of using the gym is something that local people often say to me is reason that puts them off getting more exercise.

In an area that the Minet is in this means that the less well off are less likely to use it.

The area around Minet is already well supplied with private gyms.

Also more concerning is the extension of the GLL contract is a temporary measure whilst the Council work with GLL in setting up a "Cultural Trust" as long term aim. To which assets like the Minet building will be transferred from the Council. All sorts of issues here- accountability etc.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    Greebo and editor like this.
  16. aka

aka Brixton Hill

very few people *need* a gym to get some exercise. just go run/walk/bike round brockwell/myatts field/ etc. park. FFS.

that said, hopefully GLL go bust trying to make gymbrarys work and the whole sorry mess reverts back to a council that has some form of checks and balances.

Greebo and CH1 like this.
  17. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I'm not sure you should hope for that. The default position in Lambeth is the property gets sold to Lexadon for luxury rental flats.

Greebo and editor like this.
  18. aka

aka Brixton Hill

in which case let's hope that the voters vote in some better cllrs

19. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

GLL claims to be non-profit social enterprise owned by its workers: Vision and Culture

20. aka

aka Brixton Hill

good luck to them then. i suppose gymbrarys are better than simply converting them to flats.

21. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Sadly unlikely, if rumours about Lambeth giving GLL some form of financial assistance are true. :(

Greebo and Gramsci like this.
  22. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Mens sana in corpore sano!

23. brixtonscot

brixtonscot Well-Known Member

"claims".....GLL chief exec is on about 200k , while many of its employees are on zero hour contracts below living wage

Greebo, Gramsci, Tropi and 1 other person like this.
  24. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

You make me wonder if it's really FKK (get your German dictionary out)

Greebo and leanderman like this.
  25. bimble

26. Gramsci

Not sure about the zero hours contracts but not all the workers at the Brixton Rec get at least the London Living Wage.

The workers at Rec work for GLL/ Better. GLL/Better have contract to run Rec with the Council.

The anomaly being that if the workers were directly Council employees they would get the Living Wage.

Apparently GLL/ Better are working towards paying Living Wage at some unspecified point in the future.

Really should be that any outsourcing by Council should oblige the employer to pay LLW.

Winot and Greebo like this.
  27. Gramsci

Not a rumour but in the Council docs. Had a rather difficult meeting with Council / Cllr Edbrooke were this was discussed. Quite longwinded discussion to get explanation of where exactly the Council is getting money to put into the new gyms/ libraries. It is coming partly from the "surplus" that the leisure centres ( except for Flaxman) make.

From the newsletter.

BTW GLL out of pure generosity are donating to the BCA to make up for the Council withdrawal of subsidy to Black Cultural Archives.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Greebo likes this.
  28. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

AKA "buying the councillors off by stopping them being snowed under by protests about the withdrawal of funding to BCA". :mad:

Gramsci and Greebo like this.
  29. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

This was apparently being addressed by the Labour group way back in 2010...

Gramsci and Greebo like this.
  30. Gramsci

It all smacks to me of a way to cozy relationship between GLL high ups in that "Coop Council" type social enterprise and Lambeth Council. How GLL can donate money to BCA if they cannot apparently afford to pay LLW to there staff is beyond me. I took the donation as a Ill scratch your back if you scratch mine type of donation. Cuddly social enterprise GLL put out feelers a while back to increase the empire in Lambeth- of course because they are socially responsible and want to do there bit to help a Labour Council in these difficult times.

Like the Brixton Green leading lights from the Brixton business "community" who are working so well to produce socially progressive outcomes on Somerleyton road.

All these "social enterprises" give impression that its deepening the relationship between the (local) State and civil society. Giving us citizens a bigger say - if we get up off our behinds and take an active role. An argument that takes a moral imperative in New Labour circles. Ignoring the fact that under Neo Liberalist world of "flexible" Labour markets ( supported by the likes of Mandelson in New Labour circles) most are just struggling to get by having little time to be active citizens beloved of a New Labour Council like Lambeth.

Another argument is that its not much different from Camerons ( now defunct) Big Society. That is its part of the Neo Liberal paradigm.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015