1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lambeth Council considering moving Lambeth Archives from Minet Library to Brixton Library

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 26, 2015.

1. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

How are you on morality? Should the Minet family trust get their donation back? Also why would you want to put commercial properties in the middle of Minet conservation area? To counterbalance the offices in Brixtron Town centre being converted into flats perhaps?
    You seem to be advocating the Eric Pickles brand of town planning.
    I think we should be told.

Greebo and editor like this.
  2. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

The Trust deed from the Minet family will probably state what the building can and cannot be used for - unless it's passed entirely into the hands of Lambeth?

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

i know it's really really fun to speculate but as there's nothing on the lambeth website about this at the moment there's no chance of reaching a conclusion on what's going to happen to the archives or the minet library. although that shouldn't stop idle speculation it may be better to wait till more is known before more serious consideration given to the issue.

Greebo and Tricky Skills like this.
  4. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

I think you're missing my point. I don't give a monkeys what the building becomes; turn it into a museum celebrating the Minet family's achievements for all I care. The important thing is that the records are saved and taxpayer costs are reduced - you can't possibly complain about that can you? Or have I misread your post :confused:

5. Pickman's model

before you continue, perhaps you could outline what you know of archives.

Greebo likes this.
  6. SpamMisery

You'll have to elaborate

7. Pickman's model

you're big on this reducing taxpayer costs. do you know what sorts of material the lambeth archives holds, whether they're held in appropriate conditions, whether they have a conservator on the staff or whether one is contracted only as required? is your notion of lower taxpayer costs in the long or short term - that is, if costs went up in the short term due to the construction of a new purpose-built repository, would you object?

8. SpamMisery

No, I wouldn't object (assuming the costs in the long term where reduced)

9. Pickman's model

right. but have you any notion of the issues affecting day-to-day running of the archives, of the costs of maintaining material? do you in fact know what an archive is for?

10. SpamMisery

I don't understand the relevance of understanding the day-to-day running of an archive. I dont have any notion of the issues affecting day-to-day running of a petroleum processing plant, but I wouldn't object to them upgrading the system to produce cheaper fuel at the pumps

11. Pickman's model

i'll try and make this simple for you. the archive is not only the institutional memory of lambeth council but also the major resource for local history and genealogy research in lambeth. while its resources will be supplemented by the material available at the london metropolitan archives and the national archives, it is an irreplaceable body of documents. it's unique. it's where a wide range of people need to go for information about site history, about drainage information, about decisions previously made by the council. only someone who knew the price of everything but the value of nothing would be so fussed by the rate of funding it receives - i would not be surprised if the archives and the libraries were the most popular parts of the council. i don't know what you do, but i am sure it is not as socially valuable as the work done by librarians and archivists in lambeth.

12. SpamMisery

I'll ignore your sweeping ad hominem statements and explain that if asked the question "Would I rather pay '£x' for service 'a' or '£x - £y' for service 'a'?", the answer is very easy.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it's a valued archive which people have an emotional attachment to, but the physical location of the archive isn't important to me.

13. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

It may be important to the material archived, though. IIRC Minet's archive is fitted out with temperature and humidity control. I'm not aware of any part of Brixton Tate being so.Stick previously-protected material in an unprotected environment, and the material will degrade.

14. toggle

toggle wobbly

and the cost of providing a new fit for purpose facility can be significant. last estimate I saw of the costs of the new cornwall archive and local history library is £15million. IIRC, that's after the deals to let developers loose on the rest of the site

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You only have to look next door to the BCA see how such plans can swiftly go awry.

Greebo, toggle and Pickman's model like this.
  16. Pickman's model

the thing you don't understand is that the archive underpins a range of services for which you appear happy to pay, that this is done pretty much on a shoestring anyway, and that there's not much in the way of cuts which can be done without undermining the future security of the maps, photos, papers, books etc etc which comprise the archival collection.

equationgirl, Greebo and editor like this.
  17. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

As was pointed out, all of this is speculation. Have the people who run the archives commented publicly on the quality of the proposed new arrangements? Are the existing facilities up to archival scratch, as it were, or could they be improved upon? Location wise, Brixton is certainly more accessible.

I don't subscribe to the "at whatever cost" idea. But that must not be used to excuse a reckless approach to the historical value of the material. It's impossible to comment fully without knowing what items would be threatened by a move, if any, and what the cost of keeping those items is, what the historical value of those items is and whether alternative recording arrangements might be suitable on some cases. Or even moving exceptional items to another archive facility nearby. Hopefully some more info will come from those at the Minet.

As fun as it is to try to prove that he was, I don't think SpamMisery was suggesting a reckless approach.

SpamMisery likes this.
  18. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

As we predicted at the start of the week - Lambeth Council is proposing to move the Lambeth Archives over to Brixton.

But it's worse.

MUCH worse...

The Council wants to sell the Minet and Waterloo. Funding will also be stopped for three other libraries in the borough.

Elsewhere and there is the need to pimp out parks more for private events.

MASSIVE consultation to wade through.

BBuzz piece.

19. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Depressing stuff.

21. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Christ, that entire 'sell it, and put it into an endowment to pay for future community use' concept is technically fucked.

No endowment is ever going to generate sufficient funds to cover the long term, sustainable support needs.

Greebo, editor and Tricky Skills like this.
  22. Tricky Skills

Just think of the level of capital that the sale of Waterloo alone will bring in. Plus Myatt's Fields 'aint exactly going to bring in pennies.

Yes - CUTS. They have been shat on from up above. But the response is to pass the problem on to residents with community management.

Meanwhile the MP for Croydon North is making headlines about the marvels that he managed to achieve before he fucked off to indulge in his Westminster ambitions. It's fucking painful that folk living outside the area actually swallow up all of the Co-op Council bullshit.

Brixton Hatter and Greebo like this.
  23. ricbake

ricbake working out how

"Calling Festival came to Clapham Common for the first time in 2014. 50,000 people danced in front of performers such as Stevie Wonder and Aerosmith and it generated £142,350 income for Lambeth Council. It will be returning in 2015."

How on earth do they manage to get less than £3 a head "income" from an event like this where tickets cost £69.50

Ticket Master probably made more :facepalm:

Greebo and Tricky Skills like this.
  24. ricbake

ricbake working out how

" .... Lambeth Library Challenge Fund during 2016 and 2017 specifically for Bishops and Vassall Wards. This fund will be open for charitable trusts and social enterprises to bid for funding to establish a community library offer ..."
    or
    " You can put some books in Longfield Hall"

Greebo likes this.
  25. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

It's selling of the silver. Short termism. At the very least, the sites should be used for social housing.

26. grosun

grosun wicket tunes

Or surely rather than selling outright, they could issue medium/long leases on the buildings/land, that way should they need it back in the future, they can get it without having to shell out insane amounts. It feels like the idiotic selling off of primary schools they indulged in a while back which, with increased numbers of kids now, has resulted in insane expansions of most schools around me, & there's no hope in hell the council can buy any new land to build a new school on.

Just wait til the West Norwood cinema/library deal falls through & they flog that off to developers too (a cynical part of me suspects the entire deal was set up to fail, as an easy way to be "forced" to sell it, but I hope I'm mistaken).

Brixton Hatter, editor and leanderman like this.
  27. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

28. Tricky Skills

Strangely no mention in the headline points that I've only had a chance to read so far. The Upper Norwood joint library will get no further direct funding from Lambeth Council.

Digging...

Greebo likes this.
  29. Tricky Skills

Actually, here we go:

Greebo, grosun and boohoo like this.
  30. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

That's a hit for the Upper Norwood Library -- I hope it manages to survive in some form but it is only currently open two days a week.