1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lambeth Council considering moving Lambeth Archives from Minet Library to Brixton Library

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 26, 2015.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Thanks to Tricky Skills for breaking this exclusive. I have to say that this troubles me.

[​IMG]

Previous thread: Minet Library in Knatchbull Road, Brixton cited for closure

Read the latest story here: http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2015/01/...chives-from-minet-library-to-brixton-library/

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    FOSS, Greebo and Tricky Skills like this.
  2. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Its a lovely library, and a deeply suspicious move..

Thimble Queen and Greebo like this.
  3. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

Belushi and Greebo like this.
  4. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Quite apart from anything else, I fail to see where the space will be found to shoehorn the contents into Brixton library.

shygirl, Pickman's model and Belushi like this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's the bit I meant to put in! Will edit.

Greebo likes this.
  6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

the lambeth archives, as the council's archives, would not be the unofficial records office of the borough but its official records office.

CH1 and Greebo like this.
  7. Pickman's model

not to mention archives have to be kept under strict environmental conditions to ensure their preservation.

equationgirl and Greebo like this.
  8. ricbake

ricbake working out how

The Minet Archive is proper historical documents mostly well cataloged and well kept

The Council's office documents archive that they store themselves is a disaster.

FOSS, Greebo and kittyP like this.
  9. toggle

toggle wobbly

IIRC, it is only certain portions of the council's documents that they have a statuary provision to archive. any other provision by them is voluntary.

10. Pickman's model

i don't think you've quite got to grips with the notion of a local authority archive.

Greebo likes this.
  11. Pickman's model

the non-incriminating parts usually ;)

toggle likes this.
  12. toggle

toggle wobbly

sounds about right.

but if they are moving the statuatory provision out of the building, it's definately looking like they are planning to withdraw support for the voluntary archive provision there.

13. Pickman's model

not at all as there will be conditions of deposit on non-council collections which may have been loaned or donated.

14. Pickman's model

any fucking about with collections will attract reputational damage plus frowns from the national archives but i would be very surprised if they were going to get rid of any collections.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  15. toggle

toggle wobbly

you know the hurdles to this, but i wonder if the council's bean counters need a lesson.

Greebo likes this.
  16. Pickman's model

no one likes lambeth but they've no need to make new enemies by pissing about with archival collections. i'll have a look at the consultation material tomorrow but afaics major problem likely to be crap accommodation.

Greebo and toggle like this.
  17. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

Cheers for the heads up tricky skills and ed. This worries me a lot. A great public library in an unique and unusual building. It has all the whiff of a property sell-off to me :(

A couple of years ago the council were *adamant* there would be no library closures/sell-offs. Several people including myself even FOI'ed them about it. Now after the resounding election victory for Labour, the plans resurface. Funny that...

equationgirl, Belushi, boohoo and 4 others like this.
  18. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

A positive might be easier access to the collection.

19. se5

se5 Well-Known Member

Hmm before condemning it outright I would like to have an idea of the wider thinking behind the move - what is the benefit for the council of centralising archives in Brixton? will it make the archives more available to members of the public to browse? Potentially moving them to Brixton library with its longer opening hours and greater space will benefit everyone. Brixton library is also far more accessible in terms of public transport etc (I know the Minet is only a 15 minutes walk from central Brixton but it may be hard for somone coming from outside the borough to find/ travel to). It is probably better location-wise for archives staff too.

Moving them out of the Minet too may benefit local people in the Myatt's Fields area as it could add more library space and/or a space in the library available for community groups. They seem to have been doing up the Minet in recent months, installing public toilets etc so I would be very surprised if they have plans to close it. Maybe even adding a new room where the archives currently are located will make the library more 'sustainable' as it will ensure more people visit and might bring in income from hire fees. Thats a possible positive spin on the move anyway...

bi0boy, Rushy and SpamMisery like this.
  20. leanderman

Everything must be condemned outright. Get with the programme!

Waladli, bi0boy, Rushy and 2 others like this.
  21. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

The Lambeth walk has been popular for years though.

22. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

No condemnation here. Just a slight concern over what the long term future of the Minet might be. The sources for this story suggest that it might not be good news.

editor and Greebo like this.
  23. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

Reducing cost to the taxpayer by centralising records whilst increasing the number of residential/commercial properties (assuming it goes that way) is a good thing. Although the contents are of no particular interest to me, I would have thought preserving the records - full stop - is the main thing.

24. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

I love the Minet Library.
    Calm and old fashioned (but not out of touch) just as libraries should be impo.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That really helps the discussion. Thanks.

26. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

editor , Why state leanderman's below post doesn't "add anything"

But not chastise the post immediately below that?

Both are humorous posts which don't technically "add anything". Or is this an example of:

leanderman likes this.
  27. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

For someone who like Victorian buildings, I'm surprised you believe there is nothing of interest in the archives for you!!

It would be crap for the library to become housing. These islands of free space used by the community -rich and poor - such as parks and libraries need to be retained as people need more in their lives than just houses and retail units. Other community spaces such as pubs and churches, although not used by everyone, have been changed to residential uses for years. Removing places where community can get together is not a good thing. Most of us have times when we need those spaces and an online community does not suffice.

equationgirl, Greebo, toggle and 4 others like this.
  28. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

I would be interesting to know exactly what space Brixton library will be offering and how they see this working. Also how it affects the staff. Is it possible that part of the archive stays at the Minet? Is it possible it will be less available to the public?

Greebo and editor like this.
  29. Pickman's model

what is the minet archive? how does it differ from the lb lambeth archive?

30. leanderman

Thanks. It's good to know that different opinions are not discouraged by the powers that be.

Rushy likes this.