Lambeth change of policy on noise patrols

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by ash, Dec 8, 2018.

1. ash

ash Inittogether

Winot and Casaubon like this.
  2. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Yes that is a change. I remember a Brixton Neighborhood meeting a while ago when I said this service should be brought back. The Labour Cllr didn't agree. Its only perseverance of residents going to ombudsman that made Council change policy. They had said they couldn't afford it. But they have statutory duty to deal with noise complaints.

Its important as a , as it out, verified complaint is the only way to take action to deal with a problem.

The Cllr thought Brixton BID could deal with noise issues. Which is wrong. They are there to represent business interests not residents.

Pickman's model and ash like this.
  3. ash

ash Inittogether

I remember reading the old policy and it had some ridiculous procedure when at least 2 other people had to have complained 3 times in order for them to take your complaint on board. It would’ve been awful for people blogged by noise who couldn’t achieve that solidarity from neighbours.

4. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

The main issue imo was that the noise patrol would take noise readings inside house/ flat. They could then at once verify if it was actionable complaint. The system you are correctly describing was set up to fail people. It also meant no visits with a noise reader to verify complaint.
    So it was purely one person's word against someone else.

Pickman's model likes this.
  5. ash

ash Inittogether

That’s correct we made use of the noise patrol over a decade ago. They did come in to verify and they were big blokes too so party music was turned down pronto when they went to visit.

6. Tolpuddle

Tolpuddle Cooperative council-my arse.

The person who was responsible for enforcement related stuff has now moved on to another authority I understand. I was told that the licensing staff were also stopped from late working and that noise & licensing visits were being carried out by people who did generic enforcement including highways stuff, thus loosing the expert touch. I expect all the previous noise staff who knew what they were doing moved on.

7. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

Publish a list of councillor's mobiles. Noise complaints would start being taken 24/7 quite quickly.

Tolpuddle likes this.
  8. Tolpuddle

Tolpuddle Cooperative council-my arse.

Your wish is my command (but only for this) a lot of them have the same first 5 numbers in common so I guess a council supplied phone. No idea if it has a council answering service though.

https://moderngov.lambeth.gov.uk/mgCommitteeMailingList.aspx?ID=0