Lambeth Archives Open Day - Saturday 1 October

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by lang rabbie, Oct 1, 2011.

1. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

Wot no thread! :eek:

10am - 5pm at the Minet,Knatchbull Road

More details on Lambeth website

free annual event which this year includes talks, films, workshops and an exhibition of original art and photographs around the theme of 'Festival'. Other attractions through the day include children's activities, local societies, stands and book stalls and home-cooked refreshments.
    Exhibition: Festival in Lambeth

[​IMG]

10am to 5pm: An exhibition of watercolours, photographs, photos and objects from the archives' collections celebrating Festival in Lambeth over time: from the 18th century entertainments at Vauxhall Gardens and Lambeth's other pleasure gardens, its fairs, pageants and popular entertainers, through to the Victorian crowds at the Crystal Palace and the local church garden party, and on to the Festival of Britain, the various Royal jubilees and visits and the Lambeth Country Show. Whatever the century, people have always loved a spectacle!

2. lang rabbie

It was a nicely put together little exhibition with a couple of things that I hadn't seen before.

vanambrugh.jpg

grandfancy.jpg

The chocolate and raspberry cake made by one of the ladies in the refreshment stall in the church over the road was the best cake I have eaten this year.

I returned £30 poorer after buying recent publications from various local history groups.

3. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

Only just seen this :(

4. boohoo

boohoo No.

I went to the private view on Friday and was at the re-christening of the Cable Street mural today!

5. lang rabbie

Not sure that "christen" is the right word for a mural commemorating the resistance to fascism by the East End Jewish community's (and their Muslim successors as local residents)?

6. editor

editor hiraethified

I went along. They're a funny bunch those historian folks.

lang rabbie likes this.
  7. boohoo

boohoo No.

True . :D ok...the murals restored and they pulled a mini curtain to reveal a plaque explaining the history of events at Cable Street and mural. Lots more events down there tomorrow!

8. lang rabbie

Forgot to say that the best thing on show had nothing to do with the "Festival" theme.

In their recent acquistions display, there was an amazing set of four pen and ink satirical drawings about the preparations by the authorities for the Chartist March and Meeting at Kennington Common in 1848 as they pancicked at the prospect of 1 1/2 million working people arriving to wreak revolution. [Couldn't photograph them with my phone due to direct reflections from the lights.]

Please, Lambeth archives, put them onto Lambeth Landmark!

9. boohoo

boohoo No.

I liked the photo of the Woolworth mural because without urban75, we wouldn't have had the Brixton Mural Walk of 2008 and without that walk, we wouldn't have done the research and had the conversation with Sonia Martin about donating mural information which led to the drawing and letters of the London Wall Mural Group being donated to Lambeth Archives which led to the Woolworth photo being at today's event!

quimcunx, Mrs Magpie and editor like this.
  10. lang rabbie

One of the many tribes of Lambeth. I popped into the Albert for a pint to recover after walking back from Knatchbull Road via the market, and the crowd in the back garden were an equally eccentric group.

quimcunx and boohoo like this.
  11. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

I bloody well forgot about this event until 4:30 pm :mad:

12. editor

editor hiraethified