Labour + Anti Semitism

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by cantsin, Apr 7, 2016.

1. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

So on a day when you'd have thought the PLP might be aflame with attacks on Cameron, Osborne and their fellow 1. % ers, instead Progress's 8 point plan to combat alleged LP anti semitism seems to be a much bigger preoccupation for many of the usual suspects .

Don't know if anyone's looked into this deeper than me ( wldnt be hard ) , but so far the evidence I've seen mentioned supporting the idea of a wave of LP anti semitism is 2 / 3 weirdos on Twitter spouting crap, and a resignation from / subsequent investigation of Ox Uni Lab Club that never seems to throw up anything concrete / otherwise .

Anyone else highly suspicious here, on all sorts of fronts ? ( ie : usual attempts to smear opponents of Israeli illegal occupation / settlements/ oppression, - blatant attempt to undermine Corbo / McDonnell / Milne - desperation of Progress to reassert in any way they can - wider, global attempts to delegitimise anti Zionism / # BDS etc etc ) .

From late 80s SWP membership, to now, have personally barely come across anyone I even suspected of anti semitism on the left ( dodgy Cnut on a Palstine march long time ago, some anarchos shut him up,+ a div last year who mentioned ' Zionist Bankers' on Twitter, and then went quiet when challenged ) , does anyone have different experiences / is this in any way more legit than it looks?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  2. J Ed

J Ed Follow Back Pro Expropriation

It's just nutpicking and the conflation of legitimate criticism of Israel with anti-Semitism.

Greebo, marty21, SpookyFrank and 7 others like this.
  3. keybored

keybored #NeverUseTheInternetAgain

[​IMG]

Pwerus, Nigel and SpookyFrank like this.
  4. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

Any claim that the Labour Party is somehow uniquely anti-Semitic is easily shot down when you consider that the Tories and Kippers have their own anti-Semites.

What these Progressites/Blairites/whatever-you-want-to-call-them (I think WoodCOCK, Dugher and Angela Smith are the main instigators behind the latest smears tbh) are trying to claim is that Corbyn is "soft" on anti-Semitism, which is bullshit. They're also claiming there's a "growth" in anti-Semitism, which is also frankly bullshit.

NoXion and brogdale like this.
  5. flyingcolumn

flyingcolumn Active Member

Who are the weirdos you speak of?

6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

cantsin

7. cantsin

Edit

8. Pickman's model

:(

9. rioted

rioted redundant

10. J Ed

11. rioted

rioted redundant

Shall I cut and paste? Goes into the allegations (and debunks them) in detail?

Greebo likes this.
  12. J Ed

if you want yeah sounds nice

Greebo likes this.
  13. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

None of this is at all surprising. Many Progress members - and those who are ideologically-aligned with them, but aren't members (i.e. the likes of Umunna) - are members of Labour Friends of Israel. They've already drunk the pro-Zionist Kool-Aid, so it's hardly surprising that they're using a hobby-horse as a means of attacking the Labour leadership.

As for encountering anti-Semites in political activism, I've come across a few - all white, all middle-class, all exercising that sort of entitled behaviour where they scorn anyone to hand who doesn't measure up to their particular gauge of what left political activism is. The sort who say things of Jews such as "but they won't fight for the country they're born in, only Israel", and believe it to be fair comment.

coley, shygirl, Greebo and 5 others like this.
  14. rioted

rioted redundant

Too long. 20 pages!

15. cantsin

apols, replied '?' to yr post, before working out purpose of your tagging me in ( so to speak)

16. Pickman's model

just to alert you to flying column, nothing more

17. cantsin

totes - (and my "" weirdos" is prob lazy / dismissive / potentially violating peoples safe spaces or sthn, but the.... " is me trying to reply to FC, then screwing up my response to you blah blah

18. cantsin

19. mk12

mk12 Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are anti-semites on the left, just as there are anti-semites on the right. Vicki Kirby, vice-chair of Labour's Woking branch, is certainly one of them, and she should have been kicked out of the party for her comments. I haven't personally come across any blatantly anti-Semitic lefties, but I am suspicious of some 'anti-Zionists' that I have met.

20. Pickman's model

21. J Ed

It can be weird where it crops up. There are a good number of Hillary Clinton supporters peddling anti-Semitic tropes in the US for example, and I think Paxman's comment about Ed being a 'North London Geek' during the leadership debates last year was obvious dog whistle anti-Semitism. The trouble with the current push to label everyone on the left as an anti-Semite, and to equate all Jews with the agenda of the Israeli government, is that it devalues the currency of what should be a very serious accusation and means that many will be unable or unwilling to identify genuine cases of it especially when they come from somewhere other than the left as it usually does.

22. J Ed

I think that some of the clearest evidence that these accusations are being used as just another weapon is the case of Rachel Bradshaw, someone actually went to the trouble of fabricating anti-Semitic social media posts in order to get her kicked out of the party.

Greebo likes this.
  23. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

24. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

Well if the definition is hasn't personally killed for the state of Israel :facepalm: then I imagine most of the left could be accessed of that:).

Some IDF veterans should really stay off the internet:(.

25. mk12

mk12 Well-Known Member

Another Labour councillor suspended from the party for tweeting that Hitler was the 'greatest man in history'. :facepalm:

26. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

It should perhaps be pointed out that the tweet in question was from October 2011, when the councillor was fourteen or fifteen years old. (edit)It should further be pointed out that she was elected in May 2015.

Greebo and tim like this.
  27. J Ed

Obviously I am fine with her being rooted out but that's a pretty obscure thing to just come across. Unless it was just by chance someone or some group, or I suppose journos, must be doing it to every elected Labour official at the moment.

Greebo likes this.
  28. co-op

co-op Free the rhubarb crumble!

Miliband got all sorts of weird a-s stuff, some of it so under the radar that it was probably unconscious, remember all the fuss about his eating a bacon sandwich? He wasn't showing sufficient relish at shovelling the pork in, not really a converso.

crossthebreeze likes this.
  29. mk12

mk12 Well-Known Member

Not something that most 15 year olds come out with though, is it?

She also tweeted that 'the Jews are so powerful in the US it's disgusting'.

30. mk12

mk12 Well-Known Member

Apparently it was found by the Campaign Against Anti-Semitism (CAAS).