La Vuelta 2019

Discussion in 'general sports' started by beesonthewhatnow, Aug 17, 2019.

1. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Fantastic win for Gilbert today. He's got to be in with a shout for the worlds in Yorkshire.

2. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Is it too early to say it's all over for the red jersey? Lopez must've really misread his form today, given how Astana were thundering the peloton through prior to the final climb, for him to then be dropped by all his rivals so quickly.

It was interesting to see the difference in cadence between Roglic and Pogacar nearing the finish.

3. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

What a debut season Pogacar is having. Would so love him to win TdF next year and then Evenepoel in 2022 to show Ineos they just bought all the wrong talent.

beesonthewhatnow likes this.
  4. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Looks like Roglic's to lose now. A defining show of strength today. If Quintana et al can't take time off when will they ?

5. hash tag

hash tag member

An interesting tussle between Valverde and Quintana, coming in at the same time yesterday.
    There have been some interesting stages already and a big one tomorrow but I'm not really engaging with it. :confused: Will certainly watch all live tomorrow.

6. twistedAM

It's been entertaining but I'm more interested in whose doing what to prepare for the world championships - going to be a right rumble between van Der Poel, Alaphilippe, Sagan, the Belgians and (hopefully) Kasper Asgreen if he gets protected status in a very strong Danish team.
    For some reason James Knox isn't even in the Ineos, I mean, Brit team.

7. hash tag

hash tag member

That was a real cold shivers finish. It looks like there will be at least one retirement as a result of that crash. :(

8. stavros

An interesting piece from Daniel Friebe on the highlights, doing his best James Richardson impression at a café, looking at Jumbo's aspirations for the years ahead and how they measure up against Ineos. I hope they shake things up, although I don't want a GT duopoly.

I'll also be very interested to see how they manage Dumoulin and Roglic together, not to mention Groenewegen.

9. twistedAM

UAE are buying in to support Pogacar plus DQS look to be assembling some support for Evenepoel. Ineos are going to have to get the chequebook out (again).

10. hash tag

hash tag member

Great finish today. James Knox gave a gushing interview straight after the finish, sounding very relaxed. One to watch for racing and commentary. :)

11. hash tag

hash tag member

Another great day for Knoxy, just 1.30 off of a top ten. That would be a superb result for him. One to watch for sure. ;):thumbs:

12. stavros

I'm not sure it gets mentioned enough that Valverde is 39, and he's holding his own against everyone bar Roglic.

hash tag likes this.
  13. twistedAM

Ha. Ineos can't even win from a breakaway. Time to get the wallet out again.

14. twistedAM

Wow. Only tuned in for the last 30km.
    Unconventional tactics from Movistar and brilliance from DQS. Wish I’d watched the whole crosswind chaos.
    Still no Ineos win.
    James Knox now 8th :cool:

15. stavros

From what ITV4 were saying it wasn't even filmed.

16. beesonthewhatnow

That was absolutely mental yesterday. Averaged over 50km/h for the stage :eek:

Gilbert said at one point he was spinning out 54/11 on the flat :eek:

twistedAM likes this.
  17. twistedAM

Sean Kelly was reckoning some riders were falling off the back mainly because they hadn't the gearing to match.
    I do wish though that the (other) commentators would stop calling such stages freakish. This is typical classics racing with crosswinds and should be as big a factor of winning a tour than going up the biggest mountain in the country or the so called "race of truth".

18. beesonthewhatnow

I get your point but I think even by those standards it was a bit of a freak one.

19. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Incredible isn't it. He's like the Federer of cycling. After winning the worlds last year you might have thought he'd put his feet up. Was fascinating seeing him not attack yesterday as some kind of nod to team mate Quitana behind.

20. stavros

I can't help thinking Ineos wouldn't have been caught out like Jumbo have been today and Wednesday.

21. hash tag

hash tag member

Pogacar...fantastic day. What a ride. How old? :eek:

peterkro likes this.
  22. stavros

Will QS or anyone else try anything unusual tomorrow? Otherwise it's got Bennett's name all over it.

23. beesonthewhatnow

Straight up sprint tomorrow. Tradition and all that.

24. twistedAM

DQS have Fabio Jacobsen who beat Bennett by millimetres in an early stage. He's not as good (yet) but is only 22 and has Stybar, Richeze etc to help.
    There's been lots of gossip linking Bennett to DQS next year.

25. twistedAM

So in the end Jacobsen wins the same number of stages (2) as Bennett but both one short of the mighty Pogacar.

Hope UAE get him good support at TDF. He seems more of a pure racer than Bernal who didn’t win a stage at this year’s TDF.

26. stavros

Jacobsen timed it much better than Bennett.

Did Gaviria actually do the Vuelta this year?

27. twistedAM

I'm getting bored with Bennett - when he loses he had the legs and was the fastest but the sprint was messy (duh!). When he wins he's surprised cos he didn't have the legs all day but somehow made the effort at the end.
    Gaviria was there but - like the rest of his season - he had a horrible Vuelta. Next year might be better when he's reunited with Richeze.