1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

La Vuelta 2017

Discussion in 'general sports' started by beesonthewhatnow, Aug 19, 2017.

1. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Is eurosport down or is it just me?

2. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

Contador is a machine!

3. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Great win for Bertie on a horrible day.

So Froomey has the Vuelta in the bag; Currently holding the tour yellow, the Vuelta red together. He could add the Giro's pink to hold the three at the same time which would be incredible or will he continue with his tour records. Has anyone every held all three at the same time before?

4. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I have looked and can't find anyone who has held all three at the same time....which record will he go for?

5. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

What a way to finish your career, awesome from Bertie :cool:

Hollis likes this.
  6. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I wonder if he had a steak dinner last night?

7. beesonthewhatnow

:D

8. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Berti was fabulous today, and he's been one of the highlights of the whole race.

I really hope BMC, Sunweb and maybe one or two others can hurt that Sky monotony next year in all the GTs.

Hollis likes this.
  9. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

Great to see Contador win that.

I can forgive Eurosport for the player being down earlier in the day - but I watched the 'on demand' coverage this evening, and it finishes with 1.5km to go.. :facepalm: I mean, how incompetent can you get? I seem to remember last year, they just didn't put the penultimate stage up on 'on demand'.
    <rant over>

I guess it was good to see Froome do the double, less good seeing Sky now dominate two tours in a season.

10. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Wow that Alto de l’Angliru looked punishing but was nice to see Contador claim his last historic victory. He must be happy / sad because he's 20secs behind Zakarin for 3rd GC. There didn't seem to be many Spaniards at the top so it must've been a pretty remote location. Seville was heaving with people cheering him on. Wout Poels & Froomey taking 2nd&3rd shows Sky's end of race dominance.

Will Froomey get is knighthood now? or is cycling's drug image still too toxic?

11. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

Giving Froomey a 'K' is creating a hostage to fortune for the day Sky's equivalent to Floyd Landis picks up the phone to the Daily Mail or whoever.

twistedAM likes this.
  12. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

When Eurosport on the laptop went down I screened from my mobile to the television, which worked fine :thumbs:
    The finish yesterday had overtones of Pedro Delgado's win of the penultimate stage and overall victory in the 1985 Vuelta....with 2 days to go, Miller was leading by a few minutes, but lack of time checks, coupled with poor weather and Spanish teams ganging up against him gave the stage and overall victory to Delgado.

13. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

Didn't stop 'Sir' Brad... I think he might.. but ultimately I don't really care if he gets a knighthood or SPOTY - nor should he.. these are irrelevant compared to what he's achieved in cycling. Winning two tours in a years probably does put him close to the all time greats.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Badgers likes this.
  14. beesonthewhatnow

The last 5km of today's final stage look absolutely brutal :eek:

[​IMG]
    :D

rubbershoes, craigxcraig and The Boy like this.
  15. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

They used to be much closer together and in a different order, which might affect things. I have a funny feeling someone might have held all three across two seasons tho, not that I can remember or am bothered enough to check.

Either way, he'll be after number 5, I imagine. Equal winningest tour rider with genuine, historical greats? I'd go for that to cement my reputation rather than something as esoteric as consecutive wins across seperate seasons.

Badgers likes this.
  16. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Contador ! Climbing one of the hardest climbs ever.......the Spanish were so mental for it. I love how he has rider No. 1.

[​IMG]

stavros and Hollis like this.
  17. beesonthewhatnow

Hahaha, Froome is taking the piss out of Quickstep here :D

18. beesonthewhatnow

This was my favourite photo/caption from yesterday:

twistedAM likes this.
  19. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

20. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I know the world's to come, but for my money, I reckon he should target le giro next.

21. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

It just wasn't for the green jersey. With De La Cruz crashing out on Saturday and therefore scoring no World Tour points, Sky have just nudged above Quickstep in the Team Rankings to go number one. I think if Trentin had scooped the 100 points you get for winning a jersey, QS would still have been top.

beesonthewhatnow likes this.
  22. stavros

Surely being a tax-dodger excludes the award of any UK honours...

twistedAM and Ted Striker like this.
  23. twistedAM

Has he ever actually lived in this country? Debuted riding for Kenya then turned pro with Barloworld (South Africa) before scooping the Sky contract and keys to the team house in Monaco.

24. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Doesn't he have a Brit passport?

25. twistedAM

You can get one of those without living here. I got an Irish one thanks to my gran.

26. stavros

Wikipedia reckons that his father is/was definitely English, and his maternal grandparents were from Gloucestershire.

I think his domicile has gone from Kenya to South Africa, before onto Monaco. What legal nationality he has I'm not sure. He could be fully or part British, but lives in Monaco under the daft non-dom rule, like Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button.