La Liga 2018-2019

Discussion in 'football' started by Favelado, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

Rayo Vallecano are back in La Primera - and from 135 quid you can get a season ticket at a raucous left-wing club in a working class neighbourhood, and even see Lionel Messi play*. Cheaper than Dulwich Hamlet (170 quid upwards), and not just pretending to be working class either. The real deal. Great stuff.

The World Cup has seen tectonic plates starting to shift in the Spanish League. CR7 dumped Madrid on the pitch 20 seconds after the final whistle blew in the CL final and has done one to Juventus. It feels weird that he's gone. A bit like when Thatcher resigned and it then took a few months to sink in. Will they spunk a billion on a couple of players to cheer themselves up? Over in Barna, Messi should still still have yet another enormous season in him, but he too might start to fade as age takes its toll. Neither Barça nor Madrid look especially strong. Could Simeone stare and seethe his way to this year's title? Or will the last drop of juice be wrung out that orange too? He's been there for a very long time for a manager in Spain now. How long can it all last?

The only thing we can say for sure, is that a pirate's life is the best one...

*once

Riklet, Fez909 and sealion like this.
  2. J Ed

J Ed Follow Back Pro Expropriation

3. S☼I

S☼I I don't want your poxy mint

Rumour is that Arturo Vidal is off to Barca from Bayern. Always liked him. When he's on it he's a class act.

4. Favelado

He's signed already. He is great on his day.

S☼I likes this.
  5. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Yup Simeone's best opportunity for a few years. Gelson is a smart signing quick, dribbles well and will benefit from playing in a more disciplined unit .

6. Favelado

They have signed Lemar too, who was of interest to a lot of the PL big boys. Worth noting Atleti are in a 68000 seater stadium now and have been a top side for several seasons now. Only City were better than them from the PL last season.

7. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I've been reading about this plan to play La Liga matches in the US. Absolute nonsense and I can't believe it's been agreed.

Also, the players are organising a protest (link in Spanish) against it, and the late kick offs.

8. Favelado

Tebas, The League President, is an utter tool. I was surprised there was player kickback against this, and it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Fez909 likes this.
  9. Favelado

La Liga started to half-empty stadiums as many Spaniards were still on holidays. I am one of the culprits, as I was visiting family, and trying out the new Icon rollercoaster, rather than watching Rayo get bottom-spanked by Sevilla at home. 1-4.

The Bernabeu only had 48000 people there. Ronaldo's departure and no exciting signings pushing the attendance even lower. Because winning 3 Champions Leagues in a row isn't motivating enough for Madrid's worst club.

Everyone's back from the beach soon though, so we'll be looking at more respectable attendance figures.

Threshers_Flail likes this.
  10. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

Cheers for starting the thread again Favelado , will defo try and contribute more this time round!

Do you know of any good Spanish language podcasts or blogs that follow La Liga? Back in Blighty now and my Spanish is getting rusty to say the least!

11. Favelado

Ah, I was round Delicias way recently and didn't see you. Wondered why. Podcast is a good idea, I wouldn't mind something to listen to. I'll investigate and get back to you.

Threshers_Flail likes this.
  12. imposs1904

imposs1904 Thread Killa'

Have you read Robbie Dunne's book on Rayo Vallecano? Is it any good?

13. Favelado

I haven't heard of it. There's plenty to write about. Vallecas not technically being in Madrid until the 60s, the area's history of resistance and left-wing tendencies. The connection between the club and neighbourhood. Would make for a decent read.

14. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

15. Favelado

It's weird that they've agreed to it. Everyone assumed that the league were for it, and the 2 clubs were against it, but this suggests not. I don't know what's going on. Apparently they've both been banned from making any kind of political protest at the match, and fans will be issued with Spanish flags - I mean - Girona is the most Catalanista place of all. I can't see what's in it for the clubs at all.

It's a bit of a riddle at the moment.