1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

La Liga 2015-2016

Discussion in 'football' started by Favelado, Jul 2, 2015.

1. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

not much. Just that your point doesn't seem to have much bearing on the relative standards of English & Spanish football.

2. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

I think it does. You are claiming English football is better because of a one off result.

3. belboid

I'm not claiming English football is better at all. I'm simply disputing Favelado's claim.

4. sealion

By claiming Englands 7th placed team beat a Spanish team placed 4th in a one off game at home.

5. belboid

What's your point? It's no dafter than claiming Spanish football is undoubtedly better than English because a couple of teams are.

6. Favelado

Favelado The Perfect Kiss

What a boring argument. Sorry I started it. I take my original post back.

I'm not watching Atleti. Are they making an effort?

7. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Congratulations to Barca. They were the best team overall and worthy champions. Suarez has been just superb for them.

Glad we made them work for it at the end though. We've had a fantastic run and I hope we keep Zidane.

8. Favelado

Rayo went down but Vallecas still partied and held up a giant banner saying "We're not bothered"

It's a miracle they lasted five years in the top division.

Adiós hasta la próxima temporada.

Riklet, T & P, Fez909 and 1 other person like this.
  9. sealion

Well done Sevilla again,Made it look easy and won't give up that trophy easily.

Favelado likes this.
  10. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

When friends and relatives from Spain ask me how significant Leicester City's victory has been in England, I tend to quote Rayo as a comparison.

11. leftistangel

leftistangel Well-Known Member

Spanish winners in both competitions for a third year in a row. Wouldn't suprise me to see a stronger tournament at Euro 2016 for the national side either.

12. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Actually I don't have high hopes for Spain at the Euros... Well, perhaps better than in Brazil as that was a bit of an anomaly, so yes, we should bloody do better than at the World Cup. But I'd rate us as third favourite as best.

13. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Real Madrid team is hardly full of Spaniards.

14. leftistangel

Quite. Same goes for all the 'English' participants, if not more so.

15. leftistangel

Third best and a semi final a vast improvement on two years ago. I don't really make anyone as a clear favourite.

16. Favelado

We're not just talking about Real Madrid though are we and there are plenty of Spaniards in the squads of the big three. The difference is that even the more humble teams can play good football, unlike the Premiership. The technical standard is just higher in Spain and that does lead to a better national team.

sealion likes this.
  17. leftistangel

Exactly. The standard of football in The 'Premier League' is shit. It also provides a much smaller pool of players because the teams prefer to collect players from abroad.
    Thats why the main beneficiaries of the new SKY/BT TV deal will actually be the other leagues in Europe . They'll simply do what they have done the past decade, sell players for vastly inflated transfer fees and then using their scouting networks or home development replace them with players just as good if not better and make the most of what they already have. Just look at A. Madrid.

18. Favelado

I'm not saying the Premier League is shit. Just technically a bit inferior to La Liga.

19. leftistangel

I am. I think quite a lot of The Premier League matches I've seen this season have been terrible. Even the poorest of La Liga matches have a certain level about them.

20. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

So what happens to Barca if the Catalans declare independence?

21. S☼I

S☼I unhailed warden of a fled campestral

I imagine it'd be like Monaco playing in the French league.

22. belboid

Altho La Liga (headed by a Real Madrid fan) have said they'll be thrown out.

23. S☼I

S☼I unhailed warden of a fled campestral

Unlikely. La Liga needs them. And arguably so do Real.

24. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this. There are a number of possible scenarios, I think, all of which may be bollocks.

From a football perspective, of course Barcelona (and the others) could continue to compete in La Liga, as mentioned above, like Monaco. Kicking Barca out would be disastrous for TV revenues etc etc and there's no reason to do it, other than out of spite.

If ever Catalunya did become independent, and was recognised by Spain as such, then I have no doubt the Spanish Government would lean on La Liga to expel Barcelona as punishment/retaliation.

But Spain will never (in the foreseeable) recognise Catalunya as independent, so won't be able to expel Barcelona from La Liga.

And whatever they do to Barca they also have to do to Espanyol and Girona, which makes expulsion even less likely.

Basically, I have no idea. :confused::facepalm: