La Grand Boucle (Tour De France) 2019

Discussion in 'general sports' started by hash tag, Jun 26, 2019.

1. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

It’s just freak weather, all the craziness yesterday wasn’t at altitude, it was all on the lower slopes.

planetgeli likes this.
  2. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

I've always wanted the tour to start with Paris-Roubaix and finish with Roubaix-Paris.

3. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

That would have made things interesting!

4. hash tag

hash tag member

Bit cruel. How many would make it to 2nd day and how many would crash out or abandon on final stage :eek:

5. twistedAM

Many of them apart from Quickstep ;)

6. hash tag

hash tag member

Good win nibali, pleased for him.
    Bernal has a very busy year ahead. At just 22 I wonder how he'll cope.

beesonthewhatnow likes this.
  7. beesonthewhatnow

Not a bad way to finish it, given the circumstances.

Badgers likes this.
  8. twistedAM

Oh well, back to lead out duties for Alaphilippe tomorrow. Apparently its a different finish on (smooth) cobbles.

9. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

ITV4 were reckoning that Ewan will be the hot favourite for tomorrow. I've had a check of one bookie and they're given Groenewegen at the same money as Ewan, with Viviani the only other one vaguely possible. He'll be shagged out from riding for Alaphilippe though, surely.

A quite interesting pre-Tour piece on Ineos' dominance.

10. Sprocket.

Sprocket. I am just waiting for the next tomato..

A great Tour and pleased for Bernal but would have been chuffed for Alaphilippe to have done it.
    Enjoyed seeing Jumbo-Visma team performance, so much talent in cycling now.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  11. 1927

Gonna be interesting next year with 3 winners in Ineos! Guess G and Froome way have to move away if they have any wish to win another yellow jersey.

12. hash tag

hash tag member

Allaphilippe or Pinot for next year's tour?
    From something I heard, it sounds like Bernal was head hunted by Brailsford and should certainly have a long bright future ahead of him.
    Will Froome make it back, given his age and injuries?

Badgers likes this.
  13. stavros

No landslides forecast for Paris this afternoon.

Hollis and beesonthewhatnow like this.
  14. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

Sir Brad appears to be enjoying Stage 21..

Fez909 and beesonthewhatnow like this.
  15. beesonthewhatnow

Ewan takes it, with a monster kick from a long way back.

16. 1927

What a day! Me and the little feller got one of the last places on the barriers at the Arc de Triomphe about 1230 and waited and waited and waited. Well worth it tho. Brilliant atmosphere, defo coming back , hopefully next year.

17. twistedAM

Alaphilippe unsurprisingly wins the Super Combatif prize.
    Looking back on it, he really did change that race. Many expected him to go out of yellow after the ITT and if that would have happened we;'d have had over a week of the old Skybot tactics trying to defend Thomas in yellow.

Hollis likes this.
  18. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

It's been the best Tour in years.

The lack of Sky /Ineos dominance crushing every attack, Alaphillippe's determination to hold onto yellow despite not having a decent team, 3 days from Paris and still having four riders who could win

And of course Sagan's clowning

Fuck golf and F1. This is real sporting excitement

stavros, Hollis and beesonthewhatnow like this.
  19. 1927

And yet Ineos get 1&2!

20. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

Indeed. But it wasn't certain till Friday

twistedAM likes this.
  21. beesonthewhatnow

Was great to see a plucky new team break Sky’s stranglehold on the tour :cool: :hmm:

rubbershoes likes this.
  22. 1927

Well it was to the extent that as soon as Ineos attacked they were going to drop Alan Phillips. The only unknown was Pinot dropping out, but due to the curtailing of Friday and Saturday stages I’m not sure it would have made any difference if he’d finished.

23. stavros

I was quite proud that I spotted him better than Boulting, who was obviously watching Groenewegen. I saw Ewan on his wheel from the overhead shot and watched him cut up the right-hand line.

What exactly was the point of Dimension Data in this year's Tour? King got in a break or two, and I'm sure Kreuziger did something or other. However, It would've been great to see EBH, Eisel, Renshaw and Cav show the others how to do a proper lead-out.

24. twistedAM

Am wondering what the point of DD is these days. They got rid of many of their young African riders and got in guys in their 30s when most of the peloton were investing in youth.

Also, Quickstep's lead out is way better and Viviani really should have done better after the positions Morkov and Richeze got him into.
    But arguably the best lead out train, either by design or accident, is Jumbo-Visma; when Groenewegen is not up to it they still take two sprint stages though Teunissen and Van Aert.

beesonthewhatnow likes this.
  25. hash tag

hash tag member

This is probably not what you want, but it has it's moments of insight, it's lightweight and fun The Tour According to G: My Journey to the Yellow Jersey - Geraint Thomas; | Foyles Bookstore

[​IMG]

26. stavros

Boulting got his late-80s hip hop references very wrong on Sunday. He said that they were taking a long time to etch the medals, which he said looked like Run DMC's VW necklaces. As everyone knows it was in fact Mike D who wore them:

[​IMG]

27. twistedAM

Alaphilippe confirms he has not going for GC in 2020 and is instead going for the big one (as far as his team are concerned), the Tour of Flanders.

Badgers likes this.
  28. beesonthewhatnow

Seems like a fairly reasonable target for him.

Badgers likes this.
  29. stavros

Especially if Ineos go full-blooded for the Tour, with Froome, Bernal, Thomas, Carapaz and the usual array of domestiques. Hopefully it doesn't go back to the norm of post-2012, but I have my doubts.

Badgers likes this.
  30. twistedAM

Well maybe Dumoulin is joining Jumbo so him, Roglic, Krujswijk, Bennett and De Plus would be a decent match for Sky.