1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kyle Edmund - new tennis chap

Discussion in 'general sports' started by marty21, Jan 23, 2018.

1. PaoloSanchez

PaoloSanchez Well-Known Member

I think, as much as I admire Serena and her achievements, her absence made for a more competitive semi final and final compared to the usual straight sets 50 minute one sided affairs

2. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

Do you think a boy will be born who will win more Majors than whatever the Great Federer ends up with when all is said and done (imo 22-23)

3. PaoloSanchez

Even if he doesn't win another I think it will be tough to beat. Having said that considering that the Fed's tennis career overlapped heavily with two other greats Nadal and Djokovic, how many might he have won if they weren't around. So if there's a scenario where there's a healthy fit and dominant player with no real competition I guess it can be done, but I think it's a tall order. I think a big factor in Rogers longevity is his smoothness of movement which is less taxing on the body. Contrast that with for example Rafa's style. I'm actually quite amazed that Nadal has managed to maintain such a high standard into his thirties with such a physical style.

tl;dr - no I don't think there'll be another one like Fed.

kazza007 likes this.
  4. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

I started watchun tennis in my early 20s, when fed was getting big, as we are about same age (yes that's all we have in common). I can't see me watching once he retires. I think you're right- there won't be another boy born like him. The new crop... haven't materialised. ..abd are just 6'4-6'6 serve/base liner.

5. PaoloSanchez

Rafa is only 4 Grand Slam titles behind the Fed and he's 5 years younger so in theory he can get past the Roger's 20, however even if he manages to avoid injuries and can stay fit, it's a tough ask with so many good players still around. Perhaps he can still dominate in the French for a few more but I can't see him getting more than 3 more Grand Slams at the moment.

Having said that, I was sure that Roger's glory days were over, especially when he was getting beaten up by his nemesis Rafa, and it was astonishing that he won the Australian a full 5 years after his previous grand slam and at the age of 35. That's some kind of superhuman shit going on right there. If Rafa was able to do something similar then he could possible overtake Roger. Maybe Novak can get his mojo back and have another purple patch like 2011/12 and 2015/16 but again I think that's a tall order and as with Rafa he might get one or two more titles but I can't see him getting more than that.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    kazza007 and marty21 like this.