1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Krautrock / Kosmische Musik

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Knotted, Jul 5, 2012.

1. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

TBF, "D" and "Aum" are the only albums I rate. They're still influenced by ethnic themes, but they're more grounded in German alternative rock of the time too. Once he started on the "hippy trail" to India, his music pretty much became overwhelmed with "new age" symbology and became pretty thin gruel.

2. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

It's the sort of music that brings home the full horror of being a fish in an aquarium.

3. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Tangerine Dream/Edgar Froese are in dire need of rehabilitation:

pogofish likes this.
  4. Orang Utan

And Popol Vuh was ace:

cuppa tee and pogofish like this.
  5. Knotted

I've never heard any Edgar Froese's solo work. That was much more interesting than I expected it to be. I like Atem as well. (I think I detected a melotron in there, btw. :hmm:)

6. Orang Utan

This is ace:
    Slabs 117 - Phipps - (Frateli Di Rimini) Departures From A Northern Wasteland

[​IMG]

One of the Frateli, Richard Phipps is a man serious about his Kraut. He once warmed up for Cluster on a diving board at a swimming pool in Sunderland.
    This mix, hopefully the first of many, sees Phipps beginning to delve

Tracklist

Reinhard Lakomy – Es Wächst Das Gras Nicht Über Alles
    Michael Hoenig – Departures From A Northern Wasteland Part 3
    Tim Blake – Passage Sur La Cite De La Revelation
    Edgar Froese – Walkabout
    Michael Bundt – La Chasse Aux Microbes
    Ataraxia – Déjà Vu
    Edgar Froese – Panorphelia
    Tangerine Dream – Logos Part One (B) (Live)
    Conrad Schnitzler – Silver 1974/75
    Martin Rev – Clouds of Glory
    E.M.A.K. – Filmmuzik
    Harmonia And Eno – Vamos Companeros
    Peter Baumann – The Third Site
    Adelbert Von Deyen – Mysterious Circles Part II

http://www.slabsofthetabernacle.com...i-rimini-departures-from-a-northern-wasteland

7. no-no

no-no Small robot you know

Maybe more krautfolk than krautrock, worth a listen though....

8. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

german oak

9. ViolentPanda

I loved "Aqua" until I had to start taking diuretics. :(

10. ViolentPanda

You did, and personally I see nothing wrong with a properly-used mellotron (TD's Phaedra is fantastic and very mellotron-heavy). :p

11. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

i've got seemingly hundreds of tangerine dream albums, but can never really get into them. phaedra is ok.

12. Knotted

I've never got round to listening to Phaedra. I've heard some of their mid-70's records - Rubicon and Ricochet I think but they never struck me. First four records are really great though.

13. Knotted

That German Oak was quite a find. Never heard of them before, and pretty cool. There's a two CD compilation called Unknown Deutschland of obscure bands on the Pyramid label (Temple, Golem, Cosmic Corridors and others) from that era and it's mostly really great. It's amazing to think that there were all these really great bands and most Germans never even knew about them.

Golem:

Temple:

14. Knotted

Another fairly obscure one:

15. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

yeah, german oak are fantastic. i believe they only sold (literally) about 15 records when they originally released it in the 70s - all the originals now in circulation were sat in storage under the bass players bed until fairly recently.

16. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

Sorry, got some details wrong. They sold 11 copies, and the rest were under the organists bed for 20 years.

sunnysidedown likes this.
  17. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

Great track from another classic album:

edit: Just noticed no-no has already posted a track off the same album (good choice!).

18. Knotted

I've now listened to Phaedra and Aqua and I now consider them rehabilitated. Of the three in the Electronic Meditation band I'd say that Froese is still the least interesting but he's still ace.

Two recommendations for Sand I see. I don't know them. Sounds pretty good though.

I'm trying to work my way through the Audion list. Yatha Sidhra are OK in a new agey sort of way. A.R. & Machines is pretty cool. Eiliff is worth listening to. Tomorrow's Gift is goodforprogrock.

19. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Echo is a cracking album

20. Knotted

Is it? I've only listened to Die Grune Reise, which is quite brilliant and innovative. They get even better? Splendid.

Here's a nice wee song:

21. Knotted

You would NEVER guess Die Grune Reisse was released in 1971. I don't know about the technical stuff behind it - but to me it sounds 1990's at least. How did Achim Reichel pull it off? Why aren't these records talked about? Technically astonishing.

22. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

blimey, just found out Amon Duul II played a gig in Paris in May! Pretty good setlist too, not sure of the line-up
    Impro
    Deutsch Nepal
    Apocalyptic Bore
    Soap Shop Rock
    Sailing Master
    Manana
    Dry Your Ears
    Flowers Of The Orient
    All The Years Around
    Metropolis
    Wolf City
    Greenbubble
    Jailhous Frog
    Impro
    Not Alone
    Surrounded
    Zugabe
    Archangel

23. Knotted

They did a tour some years ago. It wasn't right.

24. philx

philx Well-Known Member

A very good compilation on Soul Jazz. Deutsche Elektronische Music,Experimental German Rock and Electronic Music 1972-83 .

Silva likes this.
  25. Knotted

Agitation Free live:

I love this band. I love this song. It's so free wheeling. Each version is completely different. It's like rock played by a great jazz band. In outer space.

26. overdrive

overdrive Member

27. youngian

youngian Well-Known Member

28. Knotted

Yatha Sidhra has been growing on me. Like a fungus grown in hippy shit.

29. overdrive

overdrive Member

I was at this James Last gig.For the encore Irmin Schmidt came on and blew us all away with a version of Somebody Up There Likes Me.

30. Knotted

I've been listening to their play list. It's probably more prog rock oriented and there are some non German bands in there like Brainticket, Cheval Fou and the brilliant Lard Free. I'm up to Lightshine. I like all of this but much of it I wouldn't recommend. What's less well known but worth a listen on this play list are Alcatraz, Annex Quam, Brave New World, Eliff and Kollectiv plus one's we've already mentioned like Deuter, Sand and German Oak.