KNIME - what's the point? Why? No, but really, why? wHY?????!!?!

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by mrs quoad, May 17, 2018.

1. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

I was at a thing yesterday, where a very excited academic talked about KNIME!!!!

His presentation basically went: omg KNIME!!! This is KNIME!!! LOOK!!!! KNIME!!!! KNIME!!!!

Then he shoved a tedious workbook at us, and showed us two somewhat bewildering examples of shit KNIME!!!! can do, which were:
    1. Extract and plot location of events on a map;
    2. Extract information from 15,000 twatters and produce a wordcloud of the words.
    I thought, 'oh, that looks interesting,' and we've got a database of 6,000 events that I wouldn't mind location plotting. Only the location data is at ward level, and KNIME!!!! can actually literally only work from actual latitude and longitude data. So pan that.

I have no interest in analysing twatter. (Well, not for anything work-related, though I'm tempted to run a few lolscripts).

I can see literally nothing else that it can do, that other things I have at my disposal (not least, Excel, Stata, SPSS, &c) cannot do somewhat better. And prettier.

I can also see - from a bit of googling - that it might be helpful for automating some processes, but not in a way that I have any interest in whatsoever. I think.

So, yeah. DO U KNIME???? If so, what for?

What is it useful for? WHY? WHY KNIME? WHY?

2. Libertad

Libertad Man of Steal

What is point?

3. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

No? No one?

Fuck it, then. 2gb of dead space!

4. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Have you tried python for data analysis? Might be more useful as it doesn't need latitude - longitude info.

It does get frustrating when people push particular software at conferences, usually with the experience you describe. I would not be surprised if that academic has a spin out company involved in KNIME, that's usually when the evangelism starts...