Knee Replacement Live

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by hot air baboon, Nov 15, 2018.

1. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

watched up to the first ad-break of last nights Channel 5 Knee Replacememnt *Live* ( so no spoilers please :D ) .

He didn't even get a general anaesthetic !! :eek: WTF !!

I'm paying my taxes to ensure I am not in any way present in the room during major surgery !

2. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Bringing YOU round.....

I work in operation recovery and was thinking the other day that I'd like to be in theatre to see an orthopedic operation- I think it would be one of the more interesting operations to see. When I go to the store cupboard to stock up and I'm looking for stuff, I'm very aware of the orthopedic section that lists stuff like drills and saws.
    Knee replacements can be very painful, moreso then hip replacements. So if what you say is true then that is barbaric.

Did he have a spinal block though?
    Yeah I would rather be right out too!

hot air baboon likes this.
  3. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

yeah spinal block + sedation. But then why not just put the bastard right out. I had general for an arthoroscopy a few years ago

4. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

My sister's just had a knee replacement (her second) and she didn't "have anaesthetic" either (i.e. she was awake during the entire procedure) but she did have a spinal block so she felt no pain.

She's also had carpal tunnel surgery (both hands) without anaesthetic.

She's proper hardcore my sister :cool: :thumbs:

kalidarkone and hot air baboon like this.
  5. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

I found hip replacements more barbaric. When I saw one done I understood why most orthopaedic surgeons had big shoulders and played rugby - its quite an experience to see someone dislocate a hip joint. It takes some force, I can tell you:eek:. And they are frequently done under epidural too - not my idea of fun. And unlike knees that can be done in a 'bloodless' field ie a tourniquet applied to better allow the dog to see the rabbit so to speak, you cant tourniquet a hip.

I recent saw a patient whose surgery was brought to an abrupt end because the surgical team couldn't find the right bit to undo the screws in his wrist:facepalm:. He did suggest to the surgeon that B&Q have some nice sets and maybe he should invest in one:D.

6. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Built like a steakhouse, handles like a bistro

I had a general anaesthetic for a knee arthroscopy, which seemed a little over the top for me.

On the other hand, I had a load of metalwork removed from tib and fib with a spinal epidural. It's weird, being fully awake while being operated on - felt so detached from it, not being able to feel anything, that I watched a bit of it.

It was interesting; all the cutting implements were very expensive looking and pristine, but when it came to undoing the fixing screws attaching the metalwork to the bone, it looked suspiciously like a Homebase budget screwdriver set.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  7. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

The trouble is, other health issues can mean that for some people a general anesthetic is not an option.

At one point my past medical history, incl a bad reaction to a previous anesthetic meant the anesthetist for my foot operation was extremely unwilling to put me right-under. Only offering a spinal instead - and no Valium or anything else that might dissociate me from the cutting, chiseling, sawing and screwing it all back together..!

He only relented after I passed a considerable number of tests, incl full cardiology, jumped through a few hoops blood glucose-wise and was subject to a review of my past medical history.

Then for the next op, a different anesthetist actually asked me if I would "like to be awake during surgery" - Yebloodygods NO..! :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I've taken time off work to help my mum who has just been released after a total knee replacement operation. Any tips appreciated for helping her recovery.

She seems OK so far but I'm not sure how long the 'strong' drugs will last...

I'll be police man to ensure she does her exercises

9. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

No experience of joint replacements, but hope your mam's recovery goes well. :)