King's College hospital trust makes biggest overspend in NHS history

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 9, 2019.

1. editor

editor Forked with electrons

Ruddy Nora

King's College hospital trust makes biggest overspend in NHS history

2. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

i know a doctor who works at Kings and she is running around like a headless chicken trying to deal with the case loads....
    she was told the other day 'send home x number of people to clear beds' - before they were ready for discharge...obviously she didnt, but thats indicative of whats going on there
    one things for sure, its not for staff not pulling their weight

3. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

I have never really understood the logic of financially penalising NHS trusts who miss targets, they used to do it when I worked for the LAS and it baffled me then.

4. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Its not logic its market idiocy

littleseb, Gramsci and wiskey like this.
  5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I wonder how much Lord Kerslake was concentrating on his King College Hospital Trust job when he was simultaneously making Peabody Trust more "market oriented".

Incidentally although Kerslake resigned from Kings the day before the original bad results were published, he still retains his chairmanship of Peabody.

The article alludes to problems at the Princess Royal Hospital at Orpington. Surely this was merged into Kings BECAUSE it had problems, and Kings was supposed to sort it out?

There is no particular geographic affinity between Camberwell and Orpington. Actually Orpington is not even in London.

Additionally Kings is an example of NHS planners out of control. Remember the Kings 2000 project? They're still at it in 2019. The Neurology Research Unit (ie the Maurice Wohl Clinical Neuroscience Institute on Cutcombe Road opposite the Corner Surgery) opened 3-4 years ago.
    20150710_AlliesMorrison_KingsCollege_NeuroscienceInstitute_-Staèle_Eriksen_024323-2_lowres.jpg
    Then more recently the The Institute of Hepatology, London (111 Coldharbour Lane) was opened.
    Hep_Inst_medium.jpg
    It's great to have these prestige buildings and research teams nearby, but it does seem to me that there is less chance of appintments these days, not more, not withstanding this investment in "OUR" NHS as the politicians put it (on all sides of the house).

To sum up - IMHO like everything else the prestige projects of Kings are booming, routine services are failing and merging in failing hospitals from Kent into Kings can only add financial risk. As borne out by these terrible financial figures for Kings.

Gramsci likes this.
  6. editor

editor Forked with electrons

I have to say I had bloody wonderful service at Kings recently. Fantastic staff and I was afforded the highest level of care.

kalidarkone likes this.
  7. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Bringing YOU round.....

It's a scam for sure. I don't know one trust that has met their target in terms of waiting times. How will the arbitrary target ever be met when staff numbers are decreasing due to stress,Brexit, retirement and a significant drop in the number of nursing and midwifery students? Penalising trusts and not investing in public healthcare -it's a mass rip off!:mad:

wiskey, littleseb, Rebelda and 2 others like this.
  8. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Ironically the Phlebotomy Department (Blood Tests) is currently at peak efficiency. You can be in and out in ten minutes. Years ago you might waste half a morning waiting. But if you notice it is actually outsourced to a company called Viapath - look at the staff uniforms.

According to their accounts Viapath Analytics LLP made a profit of £2.8m on revenue of £71.2m. It provides pathology testing services for Kings, Guys St Thomas's, Princess Royal University Hospital Trust and SLAM.

Interestingly it appears that SERCO controls 33% of Viapath.

I had very good treatment from Kings a couple of years ago when I got shingles.
    The problem was it took about 10 days to get my GP practice to refer me.

The problem is that GPs were given control over the NHS under Cameron and Blair, and this "market system" in the NHS produces unpredictable results.
    If Viapath is making £2.8 million of profit, who is it making that from - the CCG (GPs) perhaps?

And whom pays the CCG? Its all smoke and mirrors - and an accountant and lawyer's holiday.

muscovyduck likes this.