Kilts. I need one. Cheaply.

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by chilango, Nov 30, 2017.

1. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

So I need to get myself a kilt. One of the McDonald tartans. Ideally McDonald of the Isles, but the standard will have to do if that's cheaper.

I may also need some variant of highland dress as well.

I don't want to hire really as that seems like a waste of money. I fear I may need this stuff again.

Equally I don't want to, and can't anyway, pay £hundreds.

I've seen cheap £30-50 kilts on ebay etc. Would they suffice?

Any tips?

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

3. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Well. Yeah. Any experience with any of those results?

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

no, i have a different and imo more attractive tartan

5. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

are you Americans?

6. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

I've not bought one yet because of the price of a good one. I've spent a lot of time looking for a good value for money kilt though. You really do get what you pay for. Cheap ones will not last long and are more flimsy than the more expensive ones. A really good one will have a lot of heavy cloth in it and the price, if you can afford it, is justified. Cheap ones can look like school girl uniforms. Of course there are some who would find this a plus point.

If I were you I'd hire until I could afford a good kilt.

You do know the kilt is not really traditional Scottish clothing? Originally Scottish men would take a long length of cloth and wrap it round one leg, around the crutch area and down the other leg to give a trouser-like appearance.

eta The correct length of a kilt is measured by kneeling, the hem should just skim the ground.

7. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Some of the "of the isles" variants are lovely. But i can't find them cheaply.

Pickman's model likes this.
  8. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

No.

9. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

I can't afford a "good" one. Sadly. It would be better. Obviously. But not an option.

I'll need it twice already next year that I know of, so hiring isn't ideal.

dessiato likes this.
  10. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

[​IMG]
    For example

11. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

That's not really true dessiato. The short kilt is a modern invention sure but for hundreds of years highlanders wore the belted plaid with a long linen shirt underneath as an everyday garment.

Belted plaid - Wikipedia

Agree with the rest though. A kilt needs to be made of heavy wool and pleated properly or it won't hang right and will just look like a skirt.

danny la rouge and dessiato like this.
  12. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Why do you need a kilt anyway? Is it not acceptable to wear a suit? (I'm not a massive fan to be honest and also think it's a wee bit weird to wear one if you're not Scottish (she said controversially..)

13. heinous seamus

heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee

14. dessiato

If you can get away with a different tartan try Heritage of Scotland. who have some 5 yard kilts at affordable prices.

15. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

For what?

16. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Go even more trad - naked, smeared in woad and off your head on mushrooms.

17. the light ones are Sports Kilts I think they are called - nasty man made fibre for football fans and don't absorb spilt beer.

Speak to dress hire places in Scotland- they will invariably have ex hire ones

18. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Wearing for weddings etc.

danny la rouge and Spymaster like this.
  19. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

I've spent hours trawling the net but there's a huge yawning chasm between the cheap "crap" at c.£50 and then a proper one at c.£200 upwards.

I can't afford £200 plus the cost of all the other bits. I can probably stretch to £200 in total.

20. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Remember to get all the bits and bobs that go with it. Especially the hat with the tufts of ginger hair.

21. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Can't find any ex-hire in the right tartan either :(

22. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Have you googled 'ex-hire kilts? Might pick up a used bit good quality one, cheapish.

Eta: just crossed with yours.

23. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Have you been asked to wear one or told that it'll be ok to do so? If not, and you're not Scottish, it might be deemed inappropriate. I've worn a suit to every (both) Scottish weddings that I've been to and so did almost everyone else.

24. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

It's my Scottish family bit that's making the tartan specific. I also have to go to a Burns night and a wedding. I have nothing to wear for either.

Spymaster likes this.
  25. danny la rouge

danny la rouge beneath the paving stones, a layer of hardcore

Wouldn't get hung up on a particular tartan, just choose one you like. Anyone who says you have to be "entitled" to a particular tartan is a fucking idiot. And probably a Tory.

I'd go for an ex-hire kilt. A good quality ex-hire kilt will last for generations.

quimcunx, chilango and dessiato like this.
  26. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

I was forced to wear one at some friends' wedding. On what must have been the hottest day on record in Scotland, with a hangover. Fourteen pounds of wool! I embraced tradition and left off my pants. When I was standing in the church, I looked down and saw a pool of sweat that had dripped off my balls. They're separated now (the couple, not my balls).

27. dessiato

28. gosub

gosub ~#

hire one

29. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

twice?

30. dessiato

The op says that he doesn't want to hire one.