Kicking off in Lambeth (squat rave closed down by police)

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by shaman75, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Not in places that piss off hundreds of residents!

2. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Let's go round again!

3. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

You're right there is an element of that in my thinking. I dunno, parties for me were escapism and this doesn't sound like it at all - each to their own.

General question but do people think we're heading back to the 80's and early 90's where due to licensing controls and lack of options the party happened in the fields / warehouses instead of clubs? I remember there being a shift in attitude by the authorities in the late 90's to get everyone into bars and clubs where it could be contained. Has the widespread closure of clubs and very restrictive nature of licensing pushed the party back out into the open again? Or has it always been there and only got the headlines recently because of a couple of big ones (this and Croydon) that have got the Police attention?

Chilli.s likes this.
  4. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

It's a cycle that goes over and underground
    Get too bolshy and public - get battered and shut down
    Go back underground and scale down
    Etc

5. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

Parties didn't stop happening in warehouses, fields etc... There have been off periods, but most of the squat parties I went to were er... 2000-2004 I think. They were pretty much every weekend then, often a few of them. And yeah, I think it's big, deliberately provocative stuff like scum'o'ween that gets the headlines. I think even most scumtek multi-riggers pass under the radar. This sort of shit is not a good idea, means crackdowns etc. Not that they've stopped people in the past, but I can see the current government passing something mandating life sentences for possession of a sound system with intent to have fun.

Of course that was also the days of late Drome, Unsound at the arches etc.

ddraig likes this.
  6. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

I've got it- next time hold the rave somewhere that rich people live like chelsea. That way a) they won't have to get up for work because they are rich

b) 99% chance they voted tory, so fuck them

b) at least one of them will have a connect to some proper good chang

everyone wins.

Enviro, Orang Utan and Tony_LeaS like this.
  7. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

A party in Hampstead where the cops turned up, was the only time I saw cops chucking people back into the party, off the golf course!

Enviro likes this.
  8. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

There would be a draconian law banning assemblies of more than 3 people and all music except classical before Parliament within the day. We've been here before.

Nylock likes this.
  9. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

So this performance of the 1812 overture outside Westminster will be fine then officer? Oh, the cannons - have you no culture sir? they're an integral part...

Opera Buffa and Celyn like this.
  10. Batboy

Batboy Trumpeting is good for you...

Wrong.... I could take you to streets around Dalston where it is dead quiet at night. London is filled with residential streets like this. The street I live in is relatively quiet in Highbury and thats despite those annoying fuckwits called Arsenal that Pickmans Model masturbates over.

11. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Yes, well the police were more than happy to come out in force to threaten a bank holiday party in woods at least a mile from any other habitation (apart from our local farmer's who was in attendance). 8 of Norfolk's finest, marching around making facetious statements (well it certainly smells like a rave) and trying to insist we all went home at 11pm (my daughter threatened to set her bees on them). Warned that we have to 'tell them' next time (as if).
    All veterans of the free party scene here - going way back to Windsor1971...much to recommend them for the solidarity, the DIY ethos, the enduring friendships, the cloak and dagger late night meets down rural lanes, the sharing of resources, skills and general community helpfulness and, of course, the famous bumpkin party Norfolk Handshake.
    I intend to party on, with my (few) friends and (large) family forever.

12. winjer

winjer holocene death beat

Anyone know anything about the fate of these unlucky ravers?

Pickman's model likes this.
  13. winjer

Poi E, Pickman's model and editor like this.
  14. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Swift justice indeed

15. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

I was done for similar and that also took three years. When you are charged they are supposed to be in a position to try you there and then; bollocks are they.

equationgirl and Pickman's model like this.
  16. winjer

Trial starts tomorrow at Inner London Crown Court, seven charged with conspiracy to cause a public nuisance.

Sentencing is "at large", i.e. up to life imprisonment.

"The gravamen of the alleged offending here, namely the agreement to organise a secret, large-scale and illegal rave in a residential built-up area, did not fall comfortably or at all within the identified statutory alternatives."

https://www.archbolde-update.co.uk/PDF/2017/Archbold Review Issue 9 PRESS.pdf

17. NoXion

NoXion It's been 600 years...

Potentially life imprisonment for throwing a party? That's absolutely fucking ridiculous.

18. winjer

Yep. Rumour is that these and/or other rave crews were given the option to sign documents saying they didn't own seized equipment (allowing the Met to keep / sell / destroy it) or face prosecution.

19. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Come on, chill out, you can't just fabricate an entire case overnight

20. winjer

Seems after all the build up that most pled to public nuisance and got conditional discharges (and lost sound systems), one opted to go ahead with trial and got not guilty!

"Scumtek is not organised in the same way as a vicarage tea party"

21. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

thanks for update, sad to hear rigs were lost, good one on the not guilty

22. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Yes. Thanks for that update winjer ... any (public/safe) links on that latest news though?

I've been scrabbling around for a while, but all I can find just now is quite old :oops:

23. winjer

No, the trial doesn't seem to have attracted any press, possibly because it was adjourned several times for medical reports which attracted reporting restrictions. Only know what happened because of ex-LDMG court support.

24. winjer

Allegedly the judge played Woody Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant to the barristers after the trial.