Kezia Dugdale Resignation

Discussion in 'Scotland/Alba' started by Celyn, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

BBC reports that she has resigned as leader of the Labour party in Scotland.
    Kezia Dugdale quits as Scottish Labour leader - BBC News

Well, that's interesting. I wonder why, exactly.

danny la rouge and geminisnake like this.
  2. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

3. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

The real story might have something to do with the abysmal visit to Scotland this weekend :D I think JC is used to a crowd, not a rent a mob and I think she also fed him loads of SNP bad shite and he swallowed it, spouted some stuff and looked like a twat :D
    I've been mostly laughing for over 1/2 hr :D

Have a look on twitter(hubby was telling me bits) ladies :D

Also leaving with 'her head held high'? Do me a favour love :D Shit, I shouldn't have thought of that, I wanna sleep soon :D

4. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

I have previously wondered if someone was deliberately briefing him badly about Scottish things, given some of the stuff he got wrong before. Not that I can really see precisely *why* they would, but ... oh god alone knows. Wheels within wheels, carping on the sidelines ... :D

geminisnake likes this.
  5. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

So, who's going to accept the poisoned chalice next? And will they last more than five minutes? (I've lost track of how many they've got through in recent years.)

6. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

The "with immediate effect" bit is what makes me interested. It's more usual to wait until a replacement is found.

muscovyduck, innit, weepiper and 2 others like this.
  7. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

while i don't doubt that Dugdale and the rest of the SLP machinery would be happy to see Corbyn make an arse of himself, i think we'd have to ask whether Corbyn, and Team Corbyn, actually take advice from Dugdale et al?

they ran, obviously very successfully, a GE campaign effectively independantly of the LP machine just 3 months ago - i don't see them changing a winning formula given the very public hostility between the two sets of apparatus...

muscovyduck likes this.
  8. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

Well, that was a shock. I'm reduced to ferretting around on the guardian website to see why she went a.k.a haven't got a clue. They are hinting at the forces of Corbynism taking over in the SLP, which seems like a stretch to me despite Corbyn's apparently successful tour. Her relationship with an SNP MSP must have been a bit difficult to manage. In some ways it would have been a sign of the maturity of Scottish politics if they could have managed it - you certainly couldn't imagine, say, a Labour MP and Liberal MP couple in England working out.

9. geminisnake

Eh??? WTF??? SLab came THIRD for the first time in feck knows how long, if ever in Scotland. That is not what I would call successful. Where did you get your info from? :D
    She's a balloon! She told Labour voters to vote TORY FFS!! And they did hence why we now have Tory MPs :( Second time I have been totally disgusted with my countrymen in 4 yrs

10. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

That claim about telling labour voters to vote tory has been discredited numerous times now hasn't it?

11. danny la rouge

The footage of her apparently saying so in the Borders is certainly fevered interpretation.

But local constituency activists over the country did say so. The local Labour Party in Stirling had senior local figures advising a Tory vote. Alastair Weir, the vice chair, went on record advising it in the local paper and local radio.

So while the Dugdale "quote" is dubious, the attitude was prevalent. That's why the quote is believed: it's believable.

equationgirl and weepiper like this.
  12. danny la rouge

13. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

they got significantly more votes than expected when the GE was called...

my ability to count the number of Lab MP's in August 2017 and then contrast it with the number of Lab MP's there were in May 2017.

14. danny la rouge

They got more MPs than widely expected. Their actual vote didn't rise by very much. (FPTP weirdness).

redsquirrel likes this.
  15. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

This legit made me lol

16. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Maybe the SNP have made Kezia the offer they should have given her years ago - They were her first choice after all..! :D

17. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

the gossip ive heard is that with Kezia out the way her deputy (whose name i forget) takes over, who just so happens to be pro-Corbyn and who just so happens to now have a seat on the NEC. Or something like that...

18. danny la rouge

Alex Rowley was her deputy. He becomes caretaker leader. That's not really gossip. He's a Gordon Brown ally, so not really a Corbynite, although he is a union favourite. Neil Findlay is sometimes called a Corbynite, but he backed Dugdale for leadership (so not sure how Corbynite that makes him), and he's ruled himself out anyway.

But that doesn't really address why Dugdale is leaving with immediate effect. Certainly not so Rowley could be caretaker until the leadership contest; that doesn't really make sense.

19. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

the "gossip" being that there was some level of orchestration to get her out with the effect of a friendlier person now in on the NEC, possibly ahead of Conference and upcoming votes etc? Im not sure if thats how it works.
    Clearly gossip is too strong a strong word - more a casual remark i heard which i didn't follow up on to ask more in all honesty. I haven't been engaging with this but thought Id share it anyway

danny la rouge likes this.
  20. Beermoth

Beermoth Well-Known Member

Wasn't very good, failed to galvanise the masses, realised she was out of her depth? Not sure there's much more to it than that tbh

21. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato Thank fuck it's not over.

The uber Corbynista, Neil Findlay, whom I know quite well, has declared he won't be running. That does surprise me.

22. Sasaferrato

Oh well, in the fullness of time, we will know.

23. geminisnake

The previous GE result was unusual, did anyone really expect it to stay that way? I sure as heck didn't

24. Sasaferrato

It would seem, according to a news report this morning, that it may have been due to her being 'outed' by a newspaper,without her consent. Add to that that her new partner is an SNP MSP, and you may have the reason.
    I doubt if I would vote for a candidate whose partner belonged to an opposing party, I would never be sure where their loyalties lay.

25. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

The Fabian Review was that news organ:
    The long road: interview with Kezia Dugdale

26. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Well, with one of them, to Scotland.

27. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

From an outsider looking in she seemed to have dreadful politics. She struck me as the face of everything that is wrong with Scottish Labour. The impression I got was that any success Scottish Labour had at the last election was in spite of her not because of her.

Also there was something distinctly hooky about that exchange with Nicola Sturgeon in that debate. I got the strong impression Sturgeon was telling the truth and Dugdale's pants were well alight on national tele.

28. Ole

Ole Well-Known Member

29. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Guess she was reading her partner's literature. A fiver says she's a nascent indy supporter.

30. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Crying about Corbyn today the twat.

Which is utterly disingenuous as it was Labour delegates that decided that EU would not be discussed at the conference.