Keybridge House

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by horrid_, Nov 11, 2011.

1. horrid_

horrid_ New Member

So what are all the conspiracies about then? I live right next to this shit hole never see anyone go in or out but always some lights on?

2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

it's the ugliest building in london.
    i think it's where the internet is kept.

3. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Been there tons of times. Conspiracy theories???! Eh?

4. horrid_

horrid_ New Member

I read that there are a lot of conspiracies that it's the real M16 headquarters ?! Very weird and it's fucking ugly!

5. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

...and a whole lot of bullshit. It's a BT building. They do hosting, core networks and such there. Although, people like telehouse etc are better provisioned as it's a relic of a building.

We used to host a load of servers down there and it was the hub for our (Sega's) gaming network throughout Europe.

6. horrid_

horrid_ New Member

Why is there never anyone there?

7. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Well.. it used to be floor upon floor of datacenter/network. You only need a small NOC to look after that sort of thing.

8. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

9. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

lol.. what cock.

What you have to remember is BT is an old and archaic company (although getting their act together recently). Keybridge house is one of their old relics of infrastructure. It used to be a place where they'd show off their capabilities and datacenters and such, dunno what it's like these days but can't think there's been enough investment to keep up with other big players in the game... It's rumoured (even told to me by staff there) that there are tunnels and such underneath.. why wouldn't there be? The post office had tunnels going all over the place, BT probably did/made use of them to install infrastructure.. rather than dig up every road known to man.. :)

10. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Suburban robots that monitor reality

I worked in Keybridge House for about a year when I was working for BT.

We built the Cellnet Genie (which later became O2) mobile internet system in there in 1999.
    Decidedly unlovely building, but great views from the cafe on the top floor and coincided with some of the best times I've had in my working career.

At one point it was going to be the showcase for the BT/MCI joint venture, but that fell through and it's remained a grim-looking place since.

11. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

The food was awful though!!

1999-2002 was when I used to go there regularly.

12. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

You doth protest too much, methinks. ;)

13. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

It's ridiculous conspiralooney though.. what next? The American embassy moving to Vauxhall is related to Keybridge House secrets?? :);)

14. telbert

telbert Do you like sponge?

My dad and elder brother worked on this building when it was being built from start to finish (about 1975ish so my dad says) It was built for the then GPO . Sadly there are no tunnels,just a couple of lower floors that were for car parking.

15. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

Source
    Anyone know anything about this?

16. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

17. MichaelX

MichaelX New Member

Hilarious, Keybridge was NOT a Datacentre, only in its dying years were hosting services deployed at Keybridge.

Keybridge was one of a number of International exchanges, infact the first ever AXE 10 GATEWAY WAS DEPLOYED HERE, IT WAS ALSO THE MAIN LONDON TELEX EXCHANGE.

i WORKED HERE FOR OVER 10 YEARS FROM 1986, THE COMMENTS ON HERE ARE SO FUNNY, SO MANY PEOPLE WHO KNOW IT ALL BUT KNOW NOTHING. HAHAHAHAH

18. Lazy Llama

It has been/is being knocked down now anyway.

19. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

This post was brought to you in the voice of SIMON QUINLANK HAHAHAHA

[​IMG]

Libertad likes this.
  20. Lazy Llama

21. se5

se5 Well-Known Member

Hmm - "In the heart of London’s regenerated Vauxhall, a new future is rising. At its centre stands Keybridge, a stunning fusion of the capital’s mansion blocks with elements of Manhattan architecture, all brought to life in the UK’s soon to be, tallest residential brick tower. It’s another bold and ambitious development by Mount Anvil and FABRICA by A2Dominion, destined to become the standout landmark in the capital’s most exciting new neighbourhood."

22. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Mostly sold to overseas buyers already. The amount of cranes and building sites around there is getting silly. The builders merchants over the road was offered a phenomenal sum for their site.

23. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Just an update on this. The Keybridge House new flats will lose their river views in a few weeks, as the surrounding land has all been sold for even taller tower blocks.

Other South Lambeth Road observations: LSE students living in "Atlas" next door seem to like to pool their ubers to get to college every day. There's a little fleet of cabs that arrives at 8 and then another round at lunch time.

Deliveroo is making good business out of them, but isn't apparently allowed inside the block - so lots of students in flip flops standing out in the street.

In sign of the times news - ThamesReach Bondway (Graham House) is now closed, but moves to an infill site around the corner.

metalguru likes this.