1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kew Gardens

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by rennie, Feb 14, 2006.

1. rennie

rennie m'enfin!

I'm off to check out the botanical gardens in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone could reccommend a pub nearby for a nice sunday lunch.

ta!

2. zenie

zenie >^^<

Hmm no idea but are you an RHS member?

Quick get membership then you dont have to pay to get in :cool:

3. Wolfie

Wolfie Well-Known Member

did you mean to put this in the transport forum?

Would you like me to move it? maybe to London, or Community or even suburban?

4. hiccup

hiccup King of the Vagabonds

You're only a couple of bus stops from Strand-On-The-Green, near Kew Bridge, where there are four nice pubs, right on the river.

EDIT: Map

5. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

Not exactly mouth-watering but there's a Witherspoons pub in the station so at least it will be cheap

In fact, I may be mistaken. It may be a Firkin pub and not a Witherspoons :confused:

ruffneck23 likes this.
  6. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

I stopped into a corner cafe between the station & the gardens last year. Nice coffee, nice food, staggering prices tho. For food anyway. :(

7. trashpony

trashpony Starfish and coffee, maple syrup and jam

Isn't it pricey?! Bloody shocking.

I'd recommend the Wetherspoons - food's not actually too bad there :)

8. rennie

rennie m'enfin!

Yes please!!! sorry about that... i was wondering where the thread went! :oops:

9. rennie

rennie m'enfin!

it costs 42 pounds!

10. Minnie_the_Minx

11. pogofish

Indeed, I think the cheapest item was over £5 for something that looked suspiciously like a slice of square sausage! :eek:

Think there was a match of some sort on, the pub was rammed that day!

12. pogofish

Its not a cheap place to get into, that membership would probably pay for itself in a couple of visits. I'doubt you would have time to take Kew in on just one.

13. zenie

zenie >^^<

oh I got a youth one sorry :oops:

14. butterfly child

butterfly child Well-Known Member

If you've got a car, I can recommend the Lass O'Richmond Hill, which is up by the Star & Garter Home....

15. rennie

rennie m'enfin!

nope no car... im still debating whether to go by tube or train... what are the barriers like in Kew Bridge? Can I get away with using my zone 2 travel card?

16. rennie

rennie m'enfin!

what's the pub's name?

17. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

Haven't had Sunday lunch round there, vaguely remember a nice little tea shop, a bit twee though.

Depending on the weather, what about a picnic in Kew Gardens? Done that before, it's great, friend brought along strawberries and champagne as well! Yum!

18. trashpony

trashpony Starfish and coffee, maple syrup and jam

Dunno but it's actually in the tube/train station - you can't really miss it. Afaik it's the only pub round there - it's all tea shops otherwise.

They do really nice homemade soup and bread in the Orangery in the Gardens too - and the cakes aren't bad either ;)

19. Minnie_the_Minx

There was a Firkin pub in the station and I'm not sure whether that's the Witherspoons now. Probably has a flowery name. The Firkin pub did

Have looked it up. It was indeed the Flower and Firkin but is now The Railway

Doesn't get very good reviews from Beer in the Evening

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/comments.shtml/992/

20. rennie

rennie m'enfin!

don't think the weather this weekend is good for a picnic!

21. Rollem

Rollem two kinds of wonderful

i cant wait for the weather to get a little warmer so i can take the littl'un there for the day :cool:

22. collectordave

collectordave Member

Hmm RHS membership does not get you into The Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew please note the name it is not Kew Gardens Kew was and is a place not owned by the gardens there.

23. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

Sound advice, though possibly a little late...:p

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  24. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

However on the plus side if you show an emergency service ID card you get in free :)

(weird seeing all these old names)

25. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

They seem to be someone with a bee in their bonnet about KG, as they have necro-posted on another thread with this topic, also.

26. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

Also, I'll add, for anyone that's interested, but if you have HRP membership you get a slight discount on entry to Kew Gardens on production of your membership card.